Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 06-03-2005, 03:46 PM   #1
Janho
Veteran
artist (painting, graphics), teacher

comparison Silo vs. C4D9 and wishlist for Silo

Hi,

certainly a good idea to have a forum for Silo users. Although being a C4D (Rel. 9) user I grew interested in Silo 1.4 and I am currently trying to explore the different features of the 30 day version. This certainly is an impressive piece of software and its development is amazingly fast: congratulations!

Still the workflow of C4D 9 seems to be a bit faster. This might be due to my lack of experience with Silo. Perhaps the features I would like to see are there and I simply overlooked them.

Anyway, here are a couple of observations:

1. In C4D 9 I can select any loop or plane by simply moving the mouse over a mesh without selecting anything and the loop or plane is highlighted.
2. Likewise, I can cut along any plane or loop by simply moving the mouse over the mesh. I don't have to press a button or choose a face or an edge beforehand. This surely speeds up the workflow.
3. I can undo or redo selections in C4D 9: Quite handy!
4. I have got problems with rotating faces in Silo. THis seems to be easier in C4D 9. Sometimes it is hard to control rotation in Silo ; occasionally a face all of a sudden quickly rotates the opposite direction or at least lacks precise control (may be my lack of experience though ;-)
5. It is good to have a PATH EXTRUDE function. However, it would be better, if I could apply that function (including a TAPER feature) to faces of complete meshes instead of just single polys or 2D shapes which is not that useful for character modelling. In MAYA and XSI this feature is easy to use; actually it is the only reason why I didn't update to Cinema 9.1 as there is an PATH EXTRUDE plugin that unfortunately just works with R9.0.
6. Making an object and its mirrored instance one complete (merged) mesh is just one mouseclick away. This would be a nice feature for Silo as well.

One might ask, why I am still interested in Silo if C4D is that great. Well, the topology brush feature is unique and its clear interface is intriguing. Besides, if Nevercenter regularly improves its software one day Silo might surprise us with a workflow and features not known in other packages.

My 2 cents

Janho

Old 06-03-2005, 03:57 PM   #2
AAAron
Lord of the posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janho
3. I can undo or redo selections in C4D 9: Quite handy!

Alt+Z for undo selection

The command for redo selection, is not on the standard keybord setup so you have to assign it your self it the options menu. ex. Shift+Alt+Z

Old 06-03-2005, 04:25 PM   #3
ChemicalWeapons
Leaf Melone
Almost Homeless
USA

Thumbs up

Quote:

4. I have got problems with rotating faces in Silo. THis seems to be easier in C4D 9. Sometimes it is hard to control rotation in Silo ; occasionally a face all of a sudden quickly rotates the opposite direction or at least lacks precise control (may be my lack of experience though ;-)

Janho

This will happen if you have soft seletion enabled, turn it off and all is good

Old 06-03-2005, 04:29 PM   #4
BazC
Disorganised doodler

portfolio
Barry Croucher
Illustrator
Huntingdon, United Kingdom

If you turn on selection highlighting in Options>General Options

In silo you can select an edge loop or edge ring (poly loop) without preselecting, it's just not prehighlighted like Cinema.

Split loop also works without preselection.

Rotation can be a little screwy at times, rest assured Nevercenter will fix it.

Deformers have been requested, I would guess they will come at some point. Remeber Silo is still a young app, I don't think anyone would pretend it is mature yet!

I think the mirroring system could use a few tweaks. One tip, don't deinstantiate instance (mad phrase!) delete the instance and mirror the original. Faster and more reliable!

Personally I find Silo faster and more enjoyable for organic modeling than Cinema, obviously a big complex app like c4d will have advantages in certain situations though. Splines for instance are much more powerful in Cinema.

Baz

Old 06-04-2005, 12:21 AM   #5
SpikeWorx
Frequenter

-------@mods feel free to delete my post-------

Last edited by SpikeWorx : 06-04-2005 at 12:27 AM.

Old 06-04-2005, 12:19 PM   #6
Janho
Veteran

Answers to Aaaron, BazC and ChemicalWeapons

Aaaron,

thanks for the help. It works. Nevertheless, I then have to decide whether I want to redo or undo a selection or an ordinary action which slows down workflow. It is better not having to make a difference between selections and actions.

BazC,

first of all, you’re correct about deleting the instance and mirroring the original. It’s definitely faster than “deinstantiating instance”. Thanks a lot.

Concerning the “select and split loop” issue I don’t quite get the point. (Quoting you: “If you turn on selection highlighting in Options>General Options in Silo you can select an edge loop or edge ring (poly loop) without preselecting, it's just not prehighlighted like Cinema. Split loop also works without preselection.”)

Unfortunately Silo’s bottom help line asks the user to select at least one edge or two faces (according to the help file) in order to split or select loops. So I do not quite understand how to do that without preselection (Of course I enabled selction highlighting in the general options.) So I am still lost in this respect.

For the rotations issue ChemicalWeapons already found the solution. Enabling “Soft selection” does the trick. Thank you!

Kind regards

Janho

Old 06-04-2005, 01:54 PM   #7
Cinnsealach
PRO

portfolio
Andy Kinsella
Manchester, United Kingdom

Quote:
Aaaron,

thanks for the help. It works. Nevertheless, I then have to decide whether I want to redo or undo a selection or an ordinary action which slows down workflow. It is better not having to make a difference between selections and actions.

I prefer it this way. I have selection undo/redo assigned to Shift + scroll up/down. I like to see the normal undo stack deal with geometry edits immediatley rather than having to cycle back through a bunch of selections. Different stokes, I guess

Old 06-04-2005, 02:32 PM   #8
BazC
Disorganised doodler

portfolio
Barry Croucher
Illustrator

Well it depends how you have Silo set up, the way I do it is;

hold cursor over edge so that it is highlighted NOT selected, double left click and it selects an edge loop. Shift left click instead and an edge ring is selected. Shift x and I split the edge ring (split loop tool) These are not the default commands though. You can't select a poly loop without preselecting though as Silo doesn't know which loop to select. - Baz

Old 06-05-2005, 08:48 AM   #9
_Feed_
Silo developer
Nevercenter
USA

Yeah, try holding the mouse over an edge to highlight it, and then hit Shift + X to add a new loop which splits the edge.

We're considering adding an option to combine the two undo stacks for those who prefer to work that way. A lot of debate went into the decision over which method was preferable, so we understand that people like it both ways.

Old 06-05-2005, 10:56 AM   #10
private
Lord of the posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Feed_
Yeah, try holding the mouse over an edge to highlight it, and then hit Shift + X to add a new loop which splits the edge.

We're considering adding an option to combine the two undo stacks for those who prefer to work that way. A lot of debate went into the decision over which method was preferable, so we understand that people like it both ways.

An option would be best in the tool properties. That way, those who want it one way tick an extra box etc. I hope this philosophy continues...less buttons, more fuctionality from the tools

How are the sticky keys stuff coming?

Old 06-05-2005, 10:39 PM   #11
Janho
Veteran

Thanks BazC and Feed

Thanks BazC and Feed,

it works. All in all, a well thought out set of features.

Reinforcing my last statement/ wish: If a decent taper and extrude along path function was implemented in the near future a lot of users (I guess) would appreciate it. It speeds up workflow immensely. One should be able to apply it to at least faces or edges of existing meshes without having to cut them off beforehand.

Nevertheless, Silo already is a very impressive piece of Soft, despite its youth.

Kind regards

Janho

Old 06-06-2005, 08:02 AM   #12
BazC
Disorganised doodler

portfolio
Barry Croucher
Illustrator

You're welcome!

Old 06-06-2005, 09:11 AM   #13
AAAron
Lord of the posts

Quote:
Reinforcing my last statement/ wish: If a decent taper and extrude along path function was implemented in the near future a lot of users (I guess) would appreciate it.

Totaly agree with this, a better extrude along path is the one big thing I miss in (the otherwhise almost perfect) Silo right now.

Old 06-08-2005, 09:54 PM   #14
MArll
Veteran

Silo is powerful, but uncomplicated.
That's what I love about it.
I have used pretty much every 3D modeller in the last few years and I am beginning to use Silo more than any other because it runs smoothly and it is uncluttered, unlike Modo which, although posesses a more sophisticated toolset actually slows down my workflow considerably.
One of the things I would like to see in Silo is Layers. And true instance mirroring. Apart from that, it's tremendous. Software that allows you to be absorbed in the creative process pretty much from the outset is rare, but Silo achieves that.
I love it and am very excited about future development. I really do think it has potential to be a market leader,

my tuppence

wanna-be beta tester

marll

Old 06-09-2005, 12:42 AM   #15
private
Lord of the posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MArll
One of the things I would like to see in Silo is Layers. And true instance mirroring. Apart from that, it's tremendous..............I love it and am very excited about future development.

I 100% agree.

Thread Closed share thread