Silo better than most?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2005   #16
Been running it for nearly 24 hours straight (god I need sleep) and it crashed on me only once: when I tried to import a corrupted 3DS file... (horrible format... the inventor should be whipped with a rubber hose)...

Anyway... other than that, no stability issues.

I also agree with polYgonZ, it's very intuitive...

Old 06 June 2005   #17
No one has mentioned Eovia's Hexagon modeler yet?

Old 06 June 2005   #18
Been using Silo for months now and love it!

According to 3D World I am not alone, Silo ROCKS!!!

Check out the May issue and see how Silo stacks up against other modelers under 250!

Nice info!

Author, LightWave 3D 8: 1001 Tips and Tricks
My NewTek Profile

Old 06 June 2005   #19
I second all the silo raves here. I've been messing about with the great, but also "not quite right" tools for maya (byrons, OMT, etc), and silo makes the basic job a breeze. Congrats to Nevercentre for such a thorough job on the customization of the interface, the "packaging" of workflow and the intuitive interface. It'll be my modeller from now on. Version 1.4's tweaks and the topo brush are really lovely. And the price? Well, it paid for itself in about a quarter of a day.

Old 06 June 2005   #20
Ok but what about the animation part can I import a model into a program like 3dmax or maya.

Old 06 June 2005   #21
Yes.

Regards,

AK

Old 06 June 2005   #22
Originally Posted by Shonner: No one has mentioned Eovia's Hexagon modeler yet?

Is Hexagon as user definable as is the case with Silo? truth here now....

Is Hexagon's overall workflow for Poly/SubD modeling as quick and intuitive as is the case with Silo?

Ya know what, here's my take on Hexagon... nice stock colors to the UI... beyond that, well, just give me a Wings3D, or Silo toolset, and git the render app warmed up

Old 06 June 2005   #23
Crap, with so many excellent Subdiv modeler spin off's (modo, silo, Hexagon) coming out silo just adds complications to things especially with it's cool topology brush, for me this would makes it easy to create fresh low poly cages for my high poly models ( game normal mapping ) plus sense I'm already used to switching between aps like max, maya, zbrush, I don't even notice a learning curve. 15 mins after I fired silo demo ( which was ultra fast) I knew the app backwards and forwards.

Hexagon I don't know, for only a hundred bucks more and a lot more tools GEE again crap confused...

were I turn wise Japanese man once said "simplicity is the key to wisdom"

--hanzo

Old 06 June 2005   #24
make sure you try the demo version, i did and could not use it, because of major slow down, all my other 3d applications ran fine, but silo did not.

But this does not mean it happens to you too, just test the demo. I wish people at nevercenter would do something for unfortunate people like me, who want to buy this program but are hunted by the slowdown.

Old 06 June 2005   #25
I really wish we could figure out what is causing the slowdown on the few systems that are experiencing it. We're trying, but it's happening so sporadically (there doesn't seem to be a particular graphics card that's doing it or anything like that).

Old 06 June 2005   #26
Originally Posted by polYgonZ: i tried max, maya, wings3d, mirai, modo, Z2
silo is what suites me the most of all.
it's just not getting into way of modeling, for me it was extremely intuitive to work with.
i just hate thinking of modeling in some other package.

Out of curiosity, what modeler is Z2, becuase I have never heard of it, nor could I find it on google.

Old 06 June 2005   #27
Maybe meant ZB2. ZBrush2.

Last edited by Shonner : 06 June 2005 at 05:25 AM.

Old 06 June 2005   #28
Originally Posted by JamesBPM: Is Hexagon as user definable as is the case with Silo? truth here now....

No. Not even close.

Quote: Is Hexagon's overall workflow for Poly/SubD modeling as quick and intuitive as is the case with Silo?

It is once you know what the icons stand for and what their functions mean/do.

Old 06 June 2005   #29
Originally Posted by Shonner: It is once you know what the icons stand for and what their functions mean/do.

Then it's not exactly intuitive is it? Hexagon is quite a nice app, and has some useful functions (but missing some sweet ones such as Bridge). Personally I prefer Silo's simplicity.

Old 06 June 2005   #30
I have LW, modo, XSI, Hexagon and Silo ... and so far, Silo is the one I keep returning to. But, other apps have their strengths, modo with it's Pipe and scripting and Hexagon has much stronger spline tools than Silo.

My biggest gripe with Silo is it's Hide feature ... it frustrates me to have to take the model out of Silo and take it into another program when working with complex meshes. The hide feature needs to work in SubD mode, and should include not only the polys but the edges and vertices as well. I'm sure it's being worked on ... right, Jamchild?

Thread Closed share thread