Silo have fallout features like Modo

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2005   #31
oh come on...

Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz: People keep it civil.

-R

Have a little humor bud..

Old 06 June 2005   #32
Originally Posted by VisualKing: I only use maya just to render or rig, animate..etc..

hehe, yep that´s a minor thing

Old 06 June 2005   #33
"There have been too many request for tools similar that modo currently has. One of the NC guys wrote back and said there will be planty of those tools in the coming update.

So, to me modo is nice and great but if silo will have those tools that modo is so proud of, than why would i use modo again?"

So NC is equipping Silo with tools for texturing, rendering and animating, all in one integrated environment? Cool man! I'm gonna go download the demo.

Last edited by fez : 06 June 2005 at 07:10 AM.

Old 06 June 2005   #34
Originally Posted by VisualKing: Well you can laugh but i think its true, They did not go through the whole list of applications old and new for nothing to rate them.

I just find the reviews miss the mark completely most times,
everythings 4 or 5 stars and the reasons given don't really cut it for me

Plus it is a 3D hobby mag if your a Fulltime 3D price really isn't a factor in the purchase speciall seeing we're talk about afew hundred dollers

if your talking Full XSI or Full Maya yes $$$ is important but not around here this level.

IMO SILO should raise the price even if it is just to fund future development
It's too much of a bargain now.

But hey there's no reason to listen to me I'm a Modo user

Old 06 June 2005   #35
"So NC is equipping Silo with tools for texturing, rendering and animating, all in one integrated environment? Cool man! I'm gonna go download the demo."

No, not as far as I know. There is a preview renderer being developed by a third party, bones and UV mapping are being added, but Nevercenter have never said anything about adding animation, rendering or texturing. Odd coments about 3d painting capabilities are pure speculation brought about because some of the displacement tools being added sound as though they could double as texture painting tools.

Having said that, Nevercenter have been playing with some kind of lip synching feature in Silo which does hint at some kind of animation. Then again maybe it's just something they thought would be cool to play with?

"IMO SILO should raise the price even if it is just to fund future development
It's too much of a bargain now."

WHAT!!?? I suppose XSI foundation is too cheap too? Apps like these at bargain prices are great for every body!

Incidently I predict Modo's price will tumble and come more into line with all the other 3d apps. The latest special offer to Lightwave users shows the direction they're heading and rightly so! Just a gut feeling! ;o)

Old 06 June 2005   #36
Quote: WHAT!!?? I suppose XSI foundation is too cheap too? Apps like these at bargain prices are great for every body!

Well Avid they have a strategy they have 3 products
and it worked on me, I upgrade to XSI Ess 2 months after i got XSI Fnd.

Plus it has expanded they user base a huge amount
Studio's would feel much better knowing Alot of XSI FND users are out there to fill they seats.

Hey it was only my opinion happy that you have yours

Old 06 June 2005   #37
Originally Posted by BazC: Incidently I predict Modo's price will tumble and come more into line with all the other 3d apps. The latest special offer to Lightwave users shows the direction they're heading and rightly so! Just a gut feeling! ;o)

I agree. I think in the end, Platforms will be in the $500-$1000 range, and specialties in the $100-$400 range.

The free apps, I think, are even having impact on industry pricing. Making an application easy to afford by a vast number of people helps dissuade warez as well, and creates a large user-base for studios to draw from.

Photoshop didn't get to be the #1 app in its field because it was super expensive. It got to be so because it's accepted as the industry standard and anyone can afford it who really wants it.

Old 06 June 2005   #38
Cool

Originally Posted by KBOC: HEY! Don't insult Silo like that! Excelsior, as everyone knows, is that nasty old packing material that gets into everything!!!
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=excelsior

I was referring to the Excelsior class ships in Star Trek - Even though Scotty may have chump'd the first one by pulling a few crystals, by the end of the series, she was a beautiful, regal class of ships - Sulu was certainly pushing one (which movie was that again??) to the limit to save some azz, that's for sure...

-Will

Old 06 June 2005   #39
I don't trust reviews much either. Half the time they say modo is good because of its GUI. I find that ridiculous. They make no mention of what makes it different: its macro tools and morph targets.

Old 06 June 2005   #40
Wink hahahahaha

Originally Posted by T4D: I just find the reviews miss the mark completely most times,
everythings 4 or 5 stars and the reasons given don't really cut it for me

Plus it is a 3D hobby mag if your a Fulltime 3D price really isn't a factor in the purchase speciall seeing we're talk about afew hundred dollers

if your talking Full XSI or Full Maya yes $$$ is important but not around here this level.

Now thats funny. Dont be hating on the price my friend . Just because modo got more out of your pocket that should not make you jelous of Silo. Silo knows what it's doing. Trust me if they could not offered to give us that price, it would cost just as much as modo. But i think for customers its a good bargain and we should enjoy it while it lasts.

But i do think in the near future they might raise the price since they are working on lots of new things, and also lots of new modeling tools as well.

Old 06 June 2005   #41
Originally Posted by VisualKing: Now thats funny. Dont be hating on the price my friend . Just because modo got more out of your pocket that should not make you jelous of Silo.

No need to worry VisualKing
I tried both for a day modeled a head and some lame cars with each app
I'm very happy with what i got, Price didn't play a part in my purchase at all
I wanted the best tool ( I do already have LW and XSI ess ) and now i have Modo

But I Found Silo Extemely cheap for what you get great..

Old 06 June 2005   #42
Originally Posted by T4D:

Nevercenter is a couple of guys in Utah. Luxology is a massive team in the San Francisco bay area. Luxology's overhead for operations is probably alot higer than Nevercenters. What Nevercenter needs to charge to fund development AND turn a profit is alot lower than what Luxology needs to charge.

Old 06 June 2005   #43
They are, however, willing to accept purchases of $1000 per seat.

Old 06 June 2005   #44
hey T4D

Originally Posted by T4D: No need to worry VisualKing
I tried both for a day modeled a head and some lame cars with each app
I'm very happy with what i got, Price didn't play a part in my purchase at all
I wanted the best tool ( I do already have LW and XSI ess ) and now i have Modo

But I Found Silo Extemely cheap for what you get great..

Im glad you were able to find your application. Since i never really used Lightwave i guess you can tell why i went the other way. I was a Maya/max user before and i still use them here and there. But i use Silo most for modeling.

Old 06 June 2005   #45
yes...

Originally Posted by Lyr: Nevercenter is a couple of guys in Utah. Luxology is a massive team in the San Francisco bay area. Luxology's overhead for operations is probably alot higer than Nevercenters. What Nevercenter needs to charge to fund development AND turn a profit is alot lower than what Luxology needs to charge.

I agree with that, but like i said lets enjoy this while we can, because i think the price will change as the program becomes more developed.

Thread Closed share thread