Silo have fallout features like Modo

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06 June 2005   #16
hey Jamchild

Originally Posted by jamchild: Heh, I've been trying to think up a car analogy to compare Silo to other modeling apps fo r along time. The thing is, there are MANY pros who use Silo over other higher-priced modelers that they can easily afford simply because Silo is that much faster for them to use, whether we're talking about workflow design or tumbling speed with hi-poly models or whatever. There's no car that is the fastest but also happens to be one of the least-expensive, so I gave up on the analogy . I wouldn't even go as far as to say that Silo has fewer features - Silos' features are often just things that are nuanced and carefully worked in so that they seem like a natural extension rather than additional features, which is what makes such a big difference to the pros. Our sales to people at studios have only grown over the last several months. The reason Silo is so inexpensive is because our development costs are so low.





I couldnt of said it better. That is exactly what i mean, most people think that silo is just for beginners because its so cheap and all. But they would be surprised how many pro uses silo.
__________________
If you have the brain, you have the vision.
 
Old 06 June 2005   #17
Hey guys - new Silo user and very impressed with it too however I'd just like to say that I use modo a lot and since the bugged nVidia drivers were fixed (by nVidia not Luxology - it was nVidia's mistake) modo has performed like a champ - I get very few crashes and in all honesty cannot remember the last time modo went belly up.

Anyway - Silo... bargain or what..? Love the topology brush...
__________________
"This is the voice of the Mysterons..."

Andrew G. Morgan
~ Head of Production
Digi-Guys Ltd.
Ealing Studios, UK.
 
Old 06 June 2005   #18
lol i love it


i would say

Silo is a Vespa

Modo is a nice BMW

some people live downtown
some poeple have a big family
some people wanna find an easy parking space
some people wanna carry 5 sutcases

__________________

 
Old 06 June 2005   #19
Originally Posted by bardakos:
Silo is a Vespa

Modo is a nice BMW


Silo is a modeler.
modo is a modeler.

I really like Silo's soft selection. A good example is in Glenn Southern's free Silo videos from the Kurv Studios site. Excellent videos to watch if you are thinking about buying Silo.

There are things that bug me about the program and things I really like. You can say that about all modelers. To judge quality on price is silly. That would mean Max is by far the best program.
 
Old 06 June 2005   #20
ummm...bla bla...

[QUOTE=bardakos]lol i love it


i would say

Silo is a Vespa

Modo is a nice BMW


I think you are wrong, but anyway wait and see the next update...Vespa? Hardly i think its the other way around.

Reason?

Because Silo always works on tools that are different than all the rest of the modeling applications. They took a different root and that is why modo was left already in the "DUST" 3d magazines like 3DWORLD magazine rated "SILO" higher than Modo which you claim is a BMW lol. So if you talk about Silo next to Modo, Silo is already a "Bentley" next to your BMW. Go to the Siggraph 2005 this year and see the next update for Silo. I think Silo will have the last laugh. It will speak for itself.





__________________
If you have the brain, you have the vision.
 
Old 06 June 2005   #21
I have to admit, that Silo was an option for me because of it's price. However, I would not have bothered with it at all if I hadn't been able to instantly grasp how to use it. And I think that's true of a lot of people.

I could do things in Silo hours after I bought it that took me weeks to figure out in other SubDiv modellers I tried. I knew this because the Demo was so easy to grasp. It proved how easy it was to use.

I remember a speach by a Alias rep talking about MAYA at Siggraph in 1999. "Artists are telling us: get out of our way! Let us do our thing, make it simple... etc..."

IMHO, Silo accomplishes that.
 
Old 06 June 2005   #22
Very well put.

Originally Posted by KBOC: I have to admit, that Silo was an option for me because of it's price. However, I would not have bothered with it at all if I hadn't been able to instantly grasp how to use it. And I think that's true of a lot of people.

I could do things in Silo hours after I bought it that took me weeks to figure out in other SubDiv modellers I tried. I knew this because the Demo was so easy to grasp. It proved how easy it was to use.

I remember a speach by a Alias rep talking about MAYA at Siggraph in 1999. "Artists are telling us: get out of our way! Let us do our thing, make it simple... etc..."

IMHO, Silo accomplishes that.



I think that is the one thing that makes silo a breez compared to other programs. Nice clean interface with simplicity down to the T.
__________________
If you have the brain, you have the vision.
 
Old 06 June 2005   #23
It's not just a clean interface... it's more comprehensive. When I started using it, I didn't have to hunt down the next command to use that I hadn't any experience finding yet. The first one, I remember this well, was checking out split, extrude and splitloop, that and being able to instantly shift between selection types (vert, edge, face, obj, and multi)...

I know there are more powerful applications out there. But this so totally does an end run around all of them by having every part of it easily accessible.

One of the first things I did was switch the camera rotate from Alt-RMB to RMB and switched the commands to Alt RMB. I just like it better, easier to get around for selection, for me, anyway... I did that two hours after purchasing it.

That may sound like no big flipping deal to most, but to me it was huge!

Anyway... I'm not knocking anyone else's choices... but Silo made me a very happy person...

Last edited by KBOC : 06 June 2005 at 03:32 PM.
 
Old 06 June 2005   #24
Originally Posted by VisualKing: Also just want to point out that Modo is less stable and crashes more than Silo ever will. Pluse Silo got a rating of 9.0 in 3Dworld magazine and Modo only got 8.0....So over all Silo is a great modeling program.


LOL Thanks

Using 3D world Reviews to back up your statment Now that is Funny

That gave me the biggest laugh today by far .....3D WORLD BLOL !!! THANK YOU



I Own Lightwave & XSI And checked out both Silo and Modo long and Hard and I just purchased Modo

I think Silo IS a GREAT modeler, amazing price
all the feature you need to make anything very FAST,
I see why some Pro's are using it,
Very trim tool base designed in such a way to get everything out of the tools that are there, Instead of adding and adding bit tools, SILO makes the main tools do more

but it didn't have anything New cool that i didn't already have In LW or XSI

The Modo UI is extemely nice, super workflow & NEW features & the Lightwave feel Made me buy it, I saw the post about the displacement painting and Texture tools in the Next version of Silo and they look just Cool

but Modo just got me all excited when i was modeling with it
Silo just gave me a " this feels different" feeling so i went Modo's way


anyway it's so cheap I will most likly buy it when i next have a creative block and need a new toy to get me going again

You guys need to attack the Maya market Most of them don't really like Maya's modeling tools.
 
Old 06 June 2005   #25
Thumbs up

I'm hoping there won't be any attacking and please lets try to refrain from classifications and comparisions (we all know Silo is an Excelsior Class piece of software )

Seriously though, I'm completely enjoying reliving my first experiences though others here and over at Nevercenter! I totally agree about changing the alt-RMB config; I was using Rhino the other day and it was killing me cause I kept using Silo alt-RMB nav keys! LOL!

Silo is just enjoyable, so please folks, continue telling us about what you like and don't like, and share your tips - that's what this Silo forum is about!

-Will
__________________
"With THIS!, you could be like GOD!..." - Kozer, Blake's 7
 
Old 06 June 2005   #26
Originally Posted by WillBellJr: Seriously though, I'm completely enjoying reliving my first experiences though others here and over at Nevercenter! I totally agree about changing the alt-RMB config; I was using Rhino the other day and it was killing me cause I kept using Silo alt-RMB nav keys! LOL!


LMAO!!! You nailed it!!! That's exactly where I got it from!!!
 
Old 06 June 2005   #27
of course i was joking about vespas and bmw's ...


but i believe bmw's are overated cars..

now a VW Beetle...

btw i use both Silo,LW Modeler and was amazed with Modo features i tried.

when i need to work i use one that fits the work...
__________________

 
Old 06 June 2005   #28
Originally Posted by WillBellJr: (we all know Silo is an Excelsior Class piece of software )


HEY! Don't insult Silo like that! Excelsior, as everyone knows, is that nasty old packing material that gets into everything!!!
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=excelsior
 
Old 06 June 2005   #29
Smile lol...well its true

Originally Posted by T4D: LOL Thanks

Using 3D world Reviews to back up your statment Now that is Funny

That gave me the biggest laugh today by far .....3D WORLD BLOL !!! THANK YOU



I Own Lightwave & XSI And checked out both Silo and Modo long and Hard and I just purchased Modo

I think Silo IS a GREAT modeler, amazing price
all the feature you need to make anything very FAST,
I see why some Pro's are using it,
Very trim tool base designed in such a way to get everything out of the tools that are there, Instead of adding and adding bit tools, SILO makes the main tools do more

but it didn't have anything New cool that i didn't already have In LW or XSI

The Modo UI is extemely nice, super workflow & NEW features & the Lightwave feel Made me buy it, I saw the post about the displacement painting and Texture tools in the Next version of Silo and they look just Cool

but Modo just got me all excited when i was modeling with it
Silo just gave me a " this feels different" feeling so i went Modo's way


anyway it's so cheap I will most likly buy it when i next have a creative block and need a new toy to get me going again

You guys need to attack the Maya market Most of them don't really like Maya's modeling tools.




Well you can laugh but i think its true, They did not go through the whole list of applications old and new for nothing to rate them.

Anyways, the displacement painting and texture tools are not the only update. It will have some modo features as well as i know from some of the never center guys. There have been too many request for tools similar that modo currently has. One of the NC guys wrote back and said there will be planty of those tools in the coming update.

So, to me modo is nice and great but if silo will have those tools that modo is so proud of, than why would i use modo again? hehe...for the price that silo got with all those upcoming tools, you just can not beat it.

I can see why you went with modo. You were a lightwave user before. See i never used lightwave before, i was a maya and max user before i used silo.


Maya? what is maya? Oh..i am starting to forget what that is lol.. Maya's modleing tools now is just crap compared to Silo or in that regard Modo. Even hexagon beats Maya flat out lol...

Maya is only now can be used with those plugins byron poly tools or the others..

I have used maya since version 4 and its way overdue. Since than there was hardly any update on new modeling tools. They push the paint fx and dynamics the way i see it most.

But i think they might jump on the modeling tools because i think its a shame that these lower end applications beating them flat out lol....If they leave it as is, which i hope they will since i gave up maya long time ago lol...than i think Maya will be used like a rendering program hahaha..now thats funny. I only use maya just to render or rig, animate..etc..I hardly or never touch the modeling tools in maya.

But yeah you are right, maya is outdated and right now very rusty. Needs to be dipped in oil again to get back to business.

Who ever is the head of that company, that guy should be "FIRED" for the direction they took with Maya all these years man. If i ever saw that guy i would say to him, what is the 5 finger mean to the face? "SLAP"

or better yet..I would tell him. Meet the "FARM HAND" "SLAP SLAP SLAP
Than i would say to myself...."Damn im good" where is the next maya guy..?
__________________
If you have the brain, you have the vision.

Last edited by VisualKing : 06 June 2005 at 03:34 PM.
 
Old 06 June 2005   #30
People keep it civil.

-R
__________________
LW FREE MODELS:FOR REAL Home Anatomy Thread
FXWARS
:Daily Sketch Forum:HCR Modeling
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

 
Thread Closed share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.