Silo have fallout features like Modo

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2005   #1
Silo have fallout features like Modo

I downloaded Modo and I have to say it is a great software, but after seeing Silo join CG talk that is a great boost. I am downloading Silo now and will try. for 104 man thats a great bargain. One of my main concerns is does Silo have fallout options like Modo and can you draw a path that will follow the curve of another object.

Thanks for your replys

Old 06 June 2005   #2
Originally Posted by ArtofacksOne: can you draw a path that will follow the curve of another object.

Not sure exactly what you mean, but if you want a polyline to follow the surface of another object, try the topology brush.

Old 06 June 2005   #3
I'm thinking he means falloff(s), and no, Silo does not have any like those found in Modo. What it does have that is similar is an adjustable-on-the-fly soft selection.

Old 06 June 2005   #4
Yep yep, no fall offs like Modo has...it's fine for me though since I find using soft selection is faster and less weird.

Old 06 June 2005   #5
Originally Posted by Didgeroo: I'm thinking he means falloff(s), and no, Silo does not have any like those found in Modo. What it does have that is similar is an adjustable-on-the-fly soft selection.

what r the shortcuts for that? I am just about to buy. Silo is a great program. Only thing that bugs me is the fact that the tools always seem to change their axis orientation... Is there a way to lock it down? I know there is a shortcut to go to world orient, but what about local? This is one thing that makes me scream!

Old 06 June 2005   #6
Top Menu -> Selection -> Auto Orient Manipulator <- turn that off, to maintain the orientation of the manipulator to whatever you've set it to be.

You can align the manipulators axis to whatever vector you want with Normal orientation etc. All found in the selection menu (and most everything is bindable to keys/mouse).

Old 06 June 2005   #7
Originally Posted by Rabid pitbull: what r the shortcuts for that? I am just about to buy. Silo is a great program. Only thing that bugs me is the fact that the tools always seem to change their axis orientation... Is there a way to lock it down? I know there is a shortcut to go to world orient, but what about local? This is one thing that makes me scream!

If you want a shortcut just use:
Options-> Keybord shortcuts

And assign whatever you like. A single button or a combo, it´s all upp to you my friend

Old 06 June 2005   #8
Ahhhh thank you so much! AUTO orient was killing me. Yes I need to dig into the shortcuts, but not quite yet. I need to get more familiar with the programs tools first. I have gotten into the habit of opening the keyboard shortcut display for now so I can see what is what.

Thanks again!

James

Old 06 June 2005   #9
Originally Posted by ArtofacksOne: I downloaded Modo and I have to say it is a great software, but after seeing Silo join CG talk that is a great boost. I am downloading Silo now and will try. for 104 man thats a great bargain. One of my main concerns is does Silo have fallout options like Modo and can you draw a path that will follow the curve of another object.

Thanks for your replys

Also just want to point out that Modo is less stable and crashes more than Silo ever will. Pluse Silo got a rating of 9.0 in 3Dworld magazine and Modo only got 8.0....So over all Silo is a great modeling program.

Right now its still in its earliest stage and watch it grow. Never center pushes the limit and it is recognized well in the 3D community.

Enjoy Silo

cheers..

Old 06 June 2005   #10
Probably...but I dunno

Originally Posted by ArtofacksOne: One of my main concerns is does Silo have fallout options like Modo and can you draw a path that will follow the curve of another object.

Art is not talking about falloff's in Modo, he's talking about background contraints in Modo. You can place any geometry in the background, set it as a contraint, and any new geometry you create will snap to the background geometry. i.e., Place a sphere in background as constraint, select the curve tool, and the curve tool will snap to the polys/lines/verts of the background sphere allowing the curve to snake its way around the surface of the sphere automatically.

-TwinSnakes-

Old 06 June 2005   #11
Originally Posted by TwinSnakes: Art is not talking about falloff's in Modo, he's talking about background contraints in Modo.

The THREAD is asking about falloffs (spelled wrong, but still...) background contraints were also mentioned. Modo's stability also seems to depend on the person using it. I have had the Silo demo crash as much as Modo does on my machine, but if the Silo community wants to start out here bashing other apps go right ahead.

Old 06 June 2005   #12
Originally Posted by c-g: The THREAD is asking about falloffs (spelled wrong, but still...) background contraints were also mentioned. Modo's stability also seems to depend on the person using it. I have had the Silo demo crash as much as Modo does on my machine, but if the Silo community wants to start out here bashing other apps go right ahead.

Agree with you on the bashing. I have yet to test Modo, it seems like nice app though. The main concern for me is the price, with I as hobbyist have hard to justify at the moment.
I guess the best way to see witch one of them, silo or modo, thats suit ones need best is to test them both.

Old 06 June 2005   #13
Originally Posted by c-g: The THREAD is asking about falloffs (spelled wrong, but still...) background contraints were also mentioned. Modo's stability also seems to depend on the person using it. I have had the Silo demo crash as much as Modo does on my machine, but if the Silo community wants to start out here bashing other apps go right ahead.

Thanks for clearing that up cg. Since Silo has soft selection I figured he was really asking about the background constraint feature.

AFA modeller bashing. Modo is a Corvette compared to Silo's Honda Accord. That's why there's a huge price point diff between the two. Modo's feature set is huge compared to Silo. But you'd expect that for the price point. I'd never heard of Silo until yesterday, but it looks very impressive, Nevercenter has some great ideas, given time they'll be one to watch out for.

Old 06 June 2005   #14
[QUOTE=TwinSnakes]Thanks for clearing that up cg. Since Silo has soft selection I figured he was really asking about the background constraint feature.

AFA modeller bashing. Modo is a Corvette compared to Silo's Honda Accord. That's why there's a huge price point diff between the two.

ummmmm...is that right? Is that the reason why Silo got a 9.0 rating in 3Dworld magazine, and Modo only got an 8? because its a corvette? lol... Come on man..chill this is a Silo place and if you want to bash go back to modo and be happy with it. We here just got this thread going so please take it easy. And obviously you did not used the program yet since you only saw it yesterday. So how would you know about corvette and honda? Modo as you know does have a stability problem, so if its a corvette i would say its obviously a used one because it stalls every few miles down the road. At least the Honda can go 300,000 miles and never stalls.

Silo, never once crashed on me.

Old 06 June 2005   #15
Heh, I've been trying to think up a car analogy to compare Silo to other modeling apps fo r along time. The thing is, there are MANY pros who use Silo over other higher-priced modelers that they can easily afford simply because Silo is that much faster for them to use, whether we're talking about workflow design or tumbling speed with hi-poly models or whatever. There's no car that is the fastest but also happens to be one of the least-expensive, so I gave up on the analogy . I wouldn't even go as far as to say that Silo has fewer features - Silos' features are often just things that are nuanced and carefully worked in so that they seem like a natural extension rather than additional features, which is what makes such a big difference to the pros. Our sales to people at studios have only grown over the last several months. The reason Silo is so inexpensive is because our development costs are so low.

Thread Closed share thread