Silo 2.5 Feedback

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

10 October 2017
Miguel Rivera, when Silo allowed for customized locations of button I created a manipulator image, added it to a No Function button and placed it in a corner of my workspace. I was always getting mixed up with what was x, y, or z and needed a visual cue to get me oriented. I couldn't find my old image but did find this one on-line. Not exactly the same as Silo but still does the job.

10 October 2017
HiI'm getting a very consistent crash on all versions of Silo. If you enter the extended creation box with your mouse for a cylinder, box, etc. It will crash immediately.

Also, the UI is pretty messed up at the bottom and left sides. I've restarted my computer and all that.

10 October 2017
toggle unselected invisible/visible so it can be bound to a hotkey or a single button, like isolate select in Maya or Solo in Zbrush
shrink wrap, so important to be able to move all the vertices at once to the closest point on another mesh. You already have it a little with soft selection snap, however be nice to do this over the whole mesh at once.
brush: clay (zbrush) wax (mudbox) this is a really important brush because even if you are working on lower res geo it helps fill gaps. So if I'm doing a jaw open blendshape I can fill the gap under the jaw easily. Or if I'm doing an bent arm pose I can fill in the crease of the elbow easily.
brush: relax like mudbox/maya basically smooths the mesh and snaps the result to the surface before smoothing

those are some tools I'm missing

10 October 2017
Originally Posted by makit3d: Miguel Rivera, when Silo allowed for customized locations of button I created a manipulator image, added it to a No Function button and placed it in a corner of my workspace. I was always getting mixed up with what was x, y, or z and needed a visual cue to get me oriented. I couldn't find my old image but did find this one on-line. Not exactly the same as Silo but still does the job.

Thanks for the tip. I think it's a cleverway tohave an on-screen reference of the axis-to-color correlation. But Silo needs to address this in a more effective and usable way. This shouldn't have to be somethingthe user would need to do. Other 3D apps I use have this (Max, Maya, Blender, even MOI) with the exception of Silo.

10 October 2017
Awesome to see Silo back in development again! Love this program!
One change I'd like to see in the Material Editor is variable opacity. Currently I've been able to add opacity by editing the .mtl file prior to converting to FBX in another program that doesn't strip the opacity value out again. But if Silo natively supported RGBA alpha opacity in materials, that would be awesome!

Last edited by patmarrnc : 10 October 2017 at 06:25 PM.

10 October 2017
Some things would love to see implemented into Silo; please forgive if some are previously requested

- When toggling symmetry it gives an indication of on/off
- Ability to arrange items in the scene editor (maybe by group trees etc.): gets crowded quickly in mech type modeling and often things that should all be in one "group" are spread all over the editor
- When selecting multiple items in the scene editor shade/visibility/lock are one click. Seems currently you have to click for each item
- Show and hide commands are linked to the visibility icon in scene editor

All aside: "Awesome to see Silo back in development again! Love this program!" +1

Thanks NC

10 October 2017
All the development Silo is having is exciting and so are the new features. But if the customization of the interface and the annoying Steam problem are not fixed, people like me won't update because it is very hard to work with those flaws. Please fix them.

10 October 2017
There seems to be a problem with the create menu not wanting to go away if you bring it up and then decided not to use it. Clicking the viewport doesn't close it until I mouse over the model and sometimes the menu will pop-up next to the model.

11 November 2017
while using Silo 2.5.1 yesterday, I noticed that the "select thru" doesn't work anymore. (by select thru, I mean using the 3rd selection option in conjunction with the middle mouse button to select points, edges or surfaces all the way through the selected area. )

update: OK, it does still work, but not the same way it used to work. Previously, after circling what I wanted to select, as soon as I unclicked the MMB, the elements were selected. Now I have press ENTER to complete the selection.

Last edited by patmarrnc : 11 November 2017 at 05:33 AM.

11 November 2017
regarding the FBX export option:
I currently create FBX models for use in 2 specific environments: MUVIZU (an animation program based on the Unreal3 engine) and Outerra (a google earth type global environment creation engine which will eventually become a game engine)

Sorry to say that the new FBX export files from Silo don't open in either of these environments. If I use the Autodesk FBX converter utility to make an FBX out of the same Silo created OBJ, the file opens in both environments. This might be because the Autodesk utility creates FBX files in the format from 2013. Or not. But it would be awesome to keep my workflow 100% inside Silo without having to depend on external utilities. Maybe an option to export in more than one FBX version?

11 November 2017
Originally Posted by patmarrnc: while using Silo 2.5.1 yesterday, I noticed that the "select thru" doesn't work anymore. (by select thru, I mean using the 3rd selection option in conjunction with the middle mouse button to select points, edges or surfaces all the way through the selected area. )

update: OK, it does still work, but not the same way it used to work. Previously, after circling what I wanted to select, as soon as I unclicked the MMB, the elements were selected. Now I have press ENTER to complete the selection.

Select through appears to be working fine here without the need to press enter (Windows 10).

11 November 2017
I see that you have updated the display code in the meantime, but here on my 2560/1440 screens text still appears super tiny. Unusable in that state.
On the left is Blender for comparison.

Last edited by Hoja : 11 November 2017 at 12:00 PM.

11 November 2017
a collection of feedback and wishes and to do, some vital other are nice to have. 2.5.04

export fbx, make a menu settings for unreal engine , factor 100 and disable y.
i had also often that the export crash and i see only a temp file.
there seems also a bug if you select a file in dialog and then hit save, silo hang up.
after triangulation the uvs was good in silo but compleate wrong in unreal for any reason.
the autosave did not work in steam version at windows 10.
better error handling.
instances are not focusable in silo and also not appear in fbx export / import into unreal engine 4.18
normals you can't differentiate if faces are opposite near by.
i had the problem that silo showing the faces but the import in unreal not.
bevel undo you need hit twice.
undo NEED a name what you undo because undo is not 100% for everything.
sometimes the ring selection take a turn-off 90 degree and selected not what i want.
fbx need a check, unity import is ok but unreal not.
need a object hirachy
selected edges colors, need alternating colors at line, if the object have same color you can NOT see the selection
maybe also a color variation not blink but fade ping pong from bright to dark generally.
i believe smoothing groups are coming, i had a model that looks very ugly in unreal with hard edges.
also with more polygons it was not better.

11 November 2017
I'd like an option menu for combine objects (create > combine objects)

Specifically an option to not center the pivot when combining objects, which would lead to friendlier interaction with instances (still one of those Silo powerhouse features).
Because If the pivot on the source model is changed, the instance loses it's position.

11 November 2017
Originally Posted by iron-bear-xl: I'd like an option menu for combine objects (create > combine objects)

Specifically an option to not center the pivot when combining objects, which would lead to friendlier interaction with instances (still one of those Silo powerhouse features).
Because If the pivot on the source model is changed, the instance loses it's position.

You can already do this. Toggle Manipulator Repositioning to off, Combine Object then Set Object Axis.

reply share thread