Silo 2.5 Feedback

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

09 September 2017
>Add in-Silo rendering with GPU/CPU  for quick preview how mesh looks 

09 September 2017
Since they already have a RIB implementation I would like to see them expand on it so we can use Renderman with Silo

09 September 2017
You could export to OBJ and import that into Daz Studio and use Iray for rendering.

09 September 2017
>Make rotate ring a bit thicker or option to make it thicker, semi-transparent and custom color
>UVs need commands Select ring (s) > straighten, Select loop (s) >straighten, Copy/Paste Uvs
>Zbrush< >Silo bridge 
> Internal render - I think it's very simple now to add raw GPU render for AO preview
> Render AO maps 
> Tool for creating polygons arong round objects ( like 3D Coat Stroke Tool)
>Tool for creating polygon stripes/pipes along spline 
>Slice cut loop tool like in Zbrush - cut with line, spline and lasso

Last edited by RRRambo : 09 September 2017 at 04:11 PM.

09 September 2017
Originally Posted by mattymanx: I can confirm this.  I loaded a file with 900+ parts in it and found I could click on the lock/unlock button, the visability button or the object display mode button and it would not move.  However, click on the name or the other object display mode button, and the whole list jumps right back up to the very top is a flash.

This has been happening to me as well. @iron-bear-xl or @mattymanx, have either of you found a solution or workaround yet?

09 September 2017
Right now Silo it's pretty much great .
Where I would see some improvements is in :
 - UV's make them something like 3dCoat - interactive unwrapping and the algorithm should unwrap the island fully not like is right now, maybe a straightener like in modo or maya 
 - And make a system to import large meshes - something like 4 - 6 mil polys ,  and silo won't slow down . Split the mesh in sectors ( something Topogun does ) 

Having these improved I think it will be a gorgeous tool to use and I never have to switch between an app to do my UV's and an app to do retopo . I'll do pretty much everything in Silo .

09 September 2017
My only suggestion is to provide an option (unless there is and I am missing it) to increase font size of the buttons/menus.  WOW!  The default font size is small!!!

09 September 2017
>Material Editor needs improvement. I would like to see shaders in preview  like in Zbrush - glossy, metal, leather. I think Nvidia api makes such things really easy now.

09 September 2017
I'm still having issue with the scene editor jumping up to the top every time I click on an object. It's only noticeable when you have a large scene or long list of assets in the scene, but it's made majority of my projects impossible to get anything done in. I absolutely love Silo, but for now I'm going to have to revert to 2.4.0 Beta D until its fixed.

Both @iron-bear-xl and @mattymanx had mentioned this issue as well. Hopefully it gets resolved soon!

09 September 2017
The new simpler way to customize the interface is in fact a loss of feature. Now I can't place buttons where I like. My current interface can't be modified or created using the new version.
Please bring back the custom positioning of items and the case to move them freely.

The new changes add nothing but remove the possibility of doing a manual placement. Bring it back.

09 September 2017
Hey everyone! We wanted to let you know that another micro Silo update (2.5.02b) just went live. This includes the Retina/Hi-DPI fix from 2.5.02, but more importantly to this thread: updated error message behavior. (We hear you--the initial change in 2.5 was super annoying to workflow.)

You can download the update from http://nevercenter.com/silo (or on Steam/MAS if you initially purchased there). Would love to hear your feedback on it.

Thanks,
Presque

09 September 2017
Thank you Presque. It is very appreciated that you listen and change. I find the new version very stable and powerful. It is just some few things that are annoying when working with it:
- the Steam problem: it bothers with a popup everytime a file is opened, and doesn't allow more than 1 instance of Silo, so I can't open several obj in different windows as I used, to compare meshes
- the buttons can't be placed manually because the case that said "allow dragging" is removed. You can bring it back and just keep the other simple options. Just letting the drag option visible is enough.

Thank you so much. Other than that it's fantastic. But those problems aren't so I had to roll back. The first annoys a lot when working, and the other makes impossible to build some custom interfaces, or update my current, which is one of the strongest features of Silo.

09 September 2017
Installed the latest Silo2.5.02b and it won't start, had to uninstall and reinstall previous version (2.5.02). I guess we need another fix, thanks. OS Windows 10.

10 October 2017
I don't know how I have never picked up on this before or seen anyone mention it. 

Some of the default hot keys don't work on English UK (and probably others?) keyboard layout. This has probably been the case since Silo 1.0 :]

The issue seems to be restriced to the editor/options menu. For example. Scene Editor  Ctrl+Alt+ E. That combination produces é not an e as it does on a US layout.

Of couse the keys are easy to change but I don't like the accented character in my menus

10 October 2017
Don't know if this has been mentioned before, but wanted to point out a usability issue. The absence of labels in the manipulator makes working with numerical editor difficult for color blind folks, since the numerical editor uses X, Y and Z numerical fields and the manipulator denotes axis with colors only. Even for those that have normal vision can find this to be a source of frustration, when new to Silo, because the manual doesn't associate the axis to the colors either. So adding association in the manual helps a little ( as this is the cheapest fix), but adding labels to the manipulator would be the best fix.

reply share thread