Bevel tool goes ka-BLOOEY!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Thread Tools Display Modes
  04 April 2017
Bevel tool goes ka-BLOOEY!


Anyone else have it where Silo suddenly decides to throw a Bevel out into the farther reaches of the UI-universe? For no reason? Permanently?

A few Silo sessions ago (weeks ago), I went to use the Bevel tool and it tossed out the edges into never-never far that even hitting "Frame All" couldn't fit it into screen. Trying to reduce it the normal way (click/drag on the Bevel 'center point' in the workspace) is futile. Looking at the Object Properties shows X/Y/Z locations so far out there it has to use exponential notation (e.g., "5.427e+0.12m").

I suspect it could be a world/grid and measuring unit kerfluffle, but I don't want to go poking around messing everything up to what I need when making my models...then again, this could be one of those long-standing Silo bugs that will likely never get squashed. If it's both...then I need to re-adjust my working scale for all my models. This would suck. This would suck a lot as I need a standard size for a multitude of projects...which, btw, is

Units: Metric
Unit Scale: 100
Working Grid Width: 10m
Work Grid Spacing: 0.1m
Work Grid Heavy Step: 10

Anyone else have this wacky problem?

Paul L. Ming
  05 May 2017
Haven't been here in a while or I would have replied sooner.

Yes, I ran into this problem once before. The only way I could get around it was to first undo the operation. Then I exported the objects into a separate obj. file, created a new Silo file and imported the saved .obj contents into it.

This is not an ideal solution, especially for large files. At the time it was the only thing I could to work. I haven't run into the problem since then. However, other similar issues have cropped up with other solutions being less drastic.
Homeless. Will do artsy fartsy for food.
  05 May 2017

No worries. I tried what you difference. I ended up exporting my settings, uninstalling, deleting the folders, and reinstalling. Now everything's back to "normal", although I did mess up my UI a bit and am currently 'rebuilding' it...but that's good, actually, because I can now 'fix' things I messed up on when I didn't really know what my work flow was going to be with Silo.

In any case...problem solved. At least until it happens again...

Paul L. Ming
reply share thread

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Society of Digital Artists

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump

All times are GMT. The time now is 04:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.