Silo Future

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

12 December 2014
One more tiny little request: please implement either the ability to disable camera rotation in orthographic views, or an option to reset orthographic view alignment to default. Right now, having looked around online, it appears one has to completely exit and re-open Silo to reset the orthographic view alignment, and while I appreciate that one has the option to simply never rotate the views in the first place, I occasionally experience a memory lapse of hotkeys due to switching between multiple programs. Thanks

12 December 2014
Originally Posted by mikefarny: I've been collecting feature requests for future versions, both from you guys as well as myself. Python and PyQt are a tough one, only because it requires Silo having a pretty solid API underneath for it to be at all useful. Having some scriptability for invoking UI actions and the like would be quite handy, though.

New/updated modeling tools are more feasible. There are a few import/export enhancements we want to tackle as well.

We're still updating the internal guts of Silo to be better positioned for bigger and more featureful updates in the future, so that's taking up quite a bit of time. Silo admittedly didn't get much love for a while, and internally it was showing its age a little bit, so the first order of business in the last year or so has been updating the core, fixing bugs, and enabling new platforms (Linux, and in a few days Win64).

Does that list we voted on years ago still exist?

12 December 2014
Love that a 64 bit version was released. However, as far as future updates, I think there's one feature in particular that I think many would agree is a top priority if Silo is to be considered a usable, modern sub-d modeler once again. That feature is OpenSubDiv.

12 December 2014
OpenSubdiv is certainly nice, but it would be difficult to integrate into Silo without rewriting a lot of the internals; Silo is built around its ability to subdivide already.

The industry does seem to be coalescing around OSD as a standard (that's Pixar's goal for it anyway), so at some point this may very well get implemented in Silo as well. Proper fractional creasing for edges and vertices in OSD are essentially the main features opened up by usage of OSD.

12 December 2014
Not sure if its possible and a small request, but there is one feature I did grow fond of when using Max and Blender and that was the right-click cancel. Its a little niggle I can live with though if its too tricky to implement.

12 December 2014
Originally Posted by mikefarny: OpenSubdiv is certainly nice, but it would be difficult to integrate into Silo without rewriting a lot of the internals; Silo is built around its ability to subdivide already.

The industry does seem to be coalescing around OSD as a standard (that's Pixar's goal for it anyway), so at some point this may very well get implemented in Silo as well. Proper fractional creasing for edges and vertices in OSD are essentially the main features opened up by usage of OSD.

I have no doubt the task would be substantial, and I certainly understand that there may be higher priorities. Before I go further, I want to note that I personally appreciate the new attention you're giving Silo. I still love Silo, and would love to see it developed further.

With that said, there's certainly more to OSD than just creasing; most notably, OSD's feature adaptive subdivision and GPU optimizations would certainly help solve issues Silo currently has displaying highly subdivided geometry with OpenGL.

Also, I don't think one can downplay the importance of fraction creasing. It essentially removes the need, in many cases for support loops. To further elaborate, it means subdivision surfaces become much more attractive as a means to model inorganic/mechanical surfaces. Nondestructive bevels? Yes please! I've even heard some murmurs of some CAD/CAM work switching over to OSD, which really tells you something.

From what I've read on the subject, now may be a good time to begin looking at the possibility of integrating OSD. From FxGuide: :
Quote: With OpenSubdiv 3.0 Bill Polson of Pixar comments, “we are accepting the biggest change since OpenSubdiv 1.0: a new set of core data structures from DreamWorks Animation Studios. Among other things, this separates subdivision math from the data representation. This allows developers to work with their current data structures, rather than having to marshal data in and out of OpenSubdiv. This will simplify many things, and should speed adoption… It’s really hard to overstate its importance. It’s faster to recalculate the topo analysis, it’s faster to draw, it’s cleaner, it handles more geo cases, and to me the best part, it allows you to have your own geo representation” he told fxguide.

Also, I'd argue the industry is almost done coalescing around OSD. From the same article:
Quote: Autodesk also announced support in 3ds Max. This means OpenSubdiv is now standard for subdivision content creation in Maya, Modo, Blender, Houdini, Mari, Cinebox, and (soon) 3ds Max

That leaves what? Lightwave and C4d? And I'd bet C4d will have it in the next version.

My main concern is this: since Silo is a modeler, it's a good bet that models created in Silo now, and especially in the future, will end up in a program based around OSD. So why would anyone use Silo if you have to go to all the extra work creating support geometry which is unnecessary in the target application?

I'd love to hear your thoughts Mike; especially on the changes coming with OSD 3.0, and the potential for OpenGL GPU acceleration. Also, if you're interested, I'd be happy to put together a list of modeling features/tools I'd like to see in Silo.

Last edited by Mo0g : 12 December 2014 at 09:17 PM.

12 December 2014
OSD is on the list. We like it, but I'm just not sure when/how we'll get to it. It think at least being compatible with OSD in terms of subdivision algorithm would be a must in the future.

I've grabbed what suggestions I could from this thread and added them to our internal tracker. Thanks, guys!

01 January 2015
Originally Posted by vux: 1. Ability to run Silo with file path as argument: silo /some_path/model.obj - if path doesn`t exists, create new file
2. Something like "Save On Focus Changed" checkbox in File menu

---

This 2 improvements let us to use Silo in some pipelines with less gestures.

Simple Example. I have Houdini:
1. In my script i can run silo with new obj file as argument
2. Create my model in Silo
3. When i go to Houdini, model automatically updated, because of "Save On Focus Changed" is checked

---

It is very simple (but powerful) improvements. What do you think?

I finally checked on this, sorry for the delay. Opening a file on the commandline is already supported (I thought it wasn't, but I just tested it and it works). However, if the file doesn't exist yet, it won't have it set as the exact filename / type to save, but the file-save dialog opens in the directory of the path you wanted (at least on Linux, I haven't checked the other platforms). So, this gets you most of the way there, you just have to type the filename for the non-existent file.

Save on focus-change...is ctrl+s too many keystrokes? I'm in such an automatic habit of doing that periodically, but I can see how switching between another app like Houdini and Silo can make it hard to remember to hit the disk before alt-tabbing away.

01 January 2015
Here is a feature request:

- PSD support! No layers, nothing fancy, just the ability to load PSDs as texture.
I use Silo for almost everything, but usually when i paint the textures i open my models in Unwrap3D (it supports PSD and updates automatically every time i save in photoshop), but it is very clumsy when its time to modify something on the model to match the texture (be it UVs or geometry)... so i'm using Silo right now, but for every preview i export the PSD as PNG or JPG then manually update the texture file and it gets tiresome.

- Automatic texture update on change. Following the above workflow, this would be a great addition to PSD support.

=Special Request=
- If you think the above requests make sense, i'll also request alpha support for textures... might not be 'transparency', in most cases a 'cutout' support would be enough.

Thanks!!

01 January 2015
Originally Posted by outburner: Here is a feature request:

- PSD support! No layers, nothing fancy, just the ability to load PSDs as texture.
I use Silo for almost everything, but usually when i paint the textures i open my models in Unwrap3D (it supports PSD and updates automatically every time i save in photoshop), but it is very clumsy when its time to modify something on the model to match the texture (be it UVs or geometry)... so i'm using Silo right now, but for every preview i export the PSD as PNG or JPG then manually update the texture file and it gets tiresome.

- Automatic texture update on change. Following the above workflow, this would be a great addition to PSD support.

=Special Request=
- If you think the above requests make sense, i'll also request alpha support for textures... might not be 'transparency', in most cases a 'cutout' support would be enough.

Thanks!!

PSD support? Ewe... I quote from the famous PSD rant by Dag Ågren who was writing a loader:

Quote: // At this point, I'd like to take a moment to speak to you about the Adobe PSD format.
// PSD is not a good format. PSD is not even a bad format. Calling it such would be an
// insult to other bad formats, such as PCX or JPEG. No, PSD is an abysmal format. Having
// worked on this code for several weeks now, my hate for PSD has grown to a raging fire
// that burns with the fierce passion of a million suns.
// If there are two different ways of doing something, PSD will do both, in different
// places. It will then make up three more ways no sane human would think of, and do those
// too. PSD makes inconsistency an art form. Why, for instance, did it suddenly decide
// that *these* particular chunks should be aligned to four bytes, and that this alignement
// should *not* be included in the size? Other chunks in other places are either unaligned,
// or aligned with the alignment included in the size. Here, though, it is not included.
// Either one of these three behaviours would be fine. A sane format would pick one. PSD,
// of course, uses all three, and more.
// Trying to get data out of a PSD file is like trying to find something in the attic of
// your eccentric old uncle who died in a freak freshwater shark attack on his 58th
// birthday. That last detail may not be important for the purposes of the simile, but
// at this point I am spending a lot of time imagining amusing fates for the people
// responsible for this Rube Goldberg of a file format.
// Earlier, I tried to get a hold of the latest specs for the PSD file format. To do this,
// I had to apply to them for permission to apply to them to have them consider sending
// me this sacred tome. This would have involved faxing them a copy of some document or
// other, probably signed in blood. I can only imagine that they make this process so
// difficult because they are intensely ashamed of having created this abomination. I
// was naturally not gullible enough to go through with this procedure, but if I had done
// so, I would have printed out every single page of the spec, and set them all on fire.
// Were it within my power, I would gather every single copy of those specs, and launch
// them on a spaceship directly into the sun.
//
// PSD is not my favourite file format.

The righteous indignation of a programmer burns bright, and I can see this guy wasn't kidding. I for one am not willing to go through what he did. Seriously, export to something else and be done with it. I'm sorry you have to save twice, but surely there's a way to make it fast and easy within PS?

I am looking into changing how textures are read and used in Silo, possibly going with OpenImageIO. It's designed for textures and rendering, so it's really the right approach. It won't get you PSD support, but it's pretty flexible in what it does handle.

As per update on change, do you mean when you save the file from PS that Silo automatically notices and re-loads the texture? That's a great idea, so I've logged that. I also wholly agree about better alpha handling, either for masking texture application to the mesh and/or actual transparency. We've already got that on our list to try to fix up alpha handling.

01 January 2015
Originally Posted by mikefarny: As per update on change, do you mean when you save the file from PS that Silo automatically notices and re-loads the texture? That's a great idea, so I've logged that. I also wholly agree about better alpha handling, either for masking texture application to the mesh and/or actual transparency. We've already got that on our list to try to fix up alpha handling.

Thanks a lot man!

01 January 2015
Speaking of Silo's future, add a feature to make folds in clothes like Marvelous Designer!

02 February 2015
Originally Posted by mikefarny: The righteous indignation of a programmer burns bright, and I can see this guy wasn't kidding. I for one am not willing to go through what he did. Seriously, export to something else and be done with it. I'm sorry you have to save twice, but surely there's a way to make it fast and easy within PS?

The PSD format can be difficult to read if you want to read layers and all the meta data, but that's not what the user is asking you. He's asking you to read the "baked" image that's saved in the .PSD, and that's trivial.

Originally Posted by mikefarny: I am looking into changing how textures are read and used in Silo, possibly going with OpenImageIO. It's designed for textures and rendering, so it's really the right approach. It won't get you PSD support, but it's pretty flexible in what it does handle.

yes.. it supports PSD.

02 February 2015
Originally Posted by lucericr: The PSD format can be difficult to read if you want to read layers and all the meta data, but that's not what the user is asking you. He's asking you to read the "baked" image that's saved in the .PSD, and that's trivial.

Thats what i meant.

02 February 2015
@Mikefarny

Glad you're working towards updating features, it's quite a nice piece of software as is but some enhancements would be nice, I'm glad I stuck with Silo despite all of the hate due to no updates for a while.

I've turned a lot of people on to Silo over the year too, it's quickly becoming my go to tool for box and sub-d modeling operations.

I look forward to seeing what comes next, is there any way you can work up a list of what people have already suggested and put it somewhere we could all check and make sure we're not just listing the same things over and over, and maybe just list them in order of what has and has not been accepted to be worked on?

I have a few ideas but I am sure they have been suggested of even thought up by yourself already.

Kind Regards,
Patrick.

reply share thread