reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 07-01-2014, 07:56 PM   #1
mikefarny
Frequenter
portfolio

Silo 2.3 officially released

New features:

* Moved to more modern Qt 5.x
* Linux support (RHEL/CentOS 6, recent Fedoras, recent Ubuntus have been tested; not all distros will work)
* 64-bit support for Mac OS X and Linux
* STL import
* Bug fixes

Official release announcements:

http://nevercenter.com/silo/press/

https://www.facebook.com/Silo3D

And it's live on the website:

http://nevercenter.com/silo/

The download link for the Linux version is pointing at the Mac OS X version, we're getting that corrected, so Linux users hang tight for a bit.

If you guys run into trouble with it, let us know (support@nevercenter.com).

Old 07-01-2014, 08:42 PM   #2
mikefarny
Frequenter
portfolio

Linux download link and installer are now corrected.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:49 PM   #3
mikefarny
Frequenter
portfolio

Silo 2.3 known issues

Silo 2.3 Known Issues

All Platforms:

* FACT exchange between Electric Image Animation Software (EIAS) doesn't appear to work. We are looking into it, and are in contact with the EIAS folks.

* OBJ export then loaded into Substance Painter causes Substance Painter to crash. There are reports that importing the Silo-made OBJs into another package first (like Roadkill) and then exporting again will produce OBJs that Substance Painter can read properly.

* Empty meshes (deleting all polygons out of them) cannot be finally removed from the scene, even in the scene editor. A workaround is to select the empty object in the scene editor, create a polygon with the Polygon Tool, select it in object mode, and then delete it.

* Meshes with non-standard topology, such as having three or more faces share the same edge, will cause subdivision to produce corrupted results. Boolean operations and other operations may also fail on such meshes. It is planned in the future to have a mesh cleaner operation that can help remove problematic pieces of geometry for situations like this.

Linux Only:

* Some desktop environments, such as Gnome, bind the Alt key to move windows by default. You must go into the window or keyboard preferences of your desktop environment to use a different key (such as "super") instead, so that Silo's default use of Alt for camera movement will work.

Windows Only:

* Old data from Silo 2.2 and before may reside in the "Silo Data" folder inside "My Documents". This old data may cause issues as the newer Silo will try to use it as-is. If you run into missing icons, key bindings, or other issues, please rename Silo Data to something else. Silo will recreate the folder with the new default Silo 2.3 data, and you will be able to set up your preferences after that from within Silo.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:58 PM   #4
mikefarny
Frequenter
portfolio

Additional Linux Notes

The linux version of Silo is for x86-64 systems based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux (and CentOS) version 6 or better. Many linux distributions will run it fine, but not all linux flavors are guaranteed to work. Generally, if the X windows system and glibc versions are the same or newer, Silo will likely work on that system.

We have tested RHEL/CentOS, recent Ubuntus (such as 14.04 and onward), recent Fedoras (16 and onward should work). Lubuntu and Gentoo thus far, possibly depending on the window manager, may have issues with black contents in the windows.

If you have a recent linux distribution that is well known and doesn't work, please let us know by telling us your linux distribution and release, key system specs (CPU, RAM). We cannot guaranty support for all distributions, but we'd like to hit the widest range we can.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:25 PM   #5
NormalNutcase
Veteran
portfolio

Don't forget to update the app store on osx. I purchased Silo 2.2 from the nevercenter website. Is there a way to have the trial version in the app store?

When there are updates, I would like to get the alert. I do not think I can add a purchase from another site to the the app store purchase list.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:52 PM   #6
mikefarny
Frequenter
portfolio

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormalNutcase
Don't forget to update the app store on osx. I purchased Silo 2.2 from the nevercenter website. Is there a way to have the trial version in the app store?

When there are updates, I would like to get the alert. I do not think I can add a purchase from another site to the the app store purchase list.

Yeah, when purchasing from the Mac App Store, Apple handles the purchase, so you don't have a reg code like you do if you were to download/purchase it directly from nevercenter.com. I don't think the trial version can go on the app store in the same way (it relies on the reg code stuff, which probably violates some Apple guideline).

If you purchase Silo from the website, you should be able to download and register any of the three platform versions with your reg code you got for 2.2. No need to go to the app store or steam to get it (but if you started on those stores, you should stay there, or ask to be upgraded to the reg-code version by emailing nevercenter support).

Nevercenter is in process for putting together an email notification to all users to let them know Silo 2.3 is available, and there's a newsletter you ought to sign up for so you can get word of the updates. Nevercenter is pretty good about not abusing the communications channels otherwise.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:00 AM   #7
Veehoy
Newtek Doormat

Vidar H
Norway

Any ETA on 64-bits for Windows?

Last edited by Veehoy : 07-02-2014 at 09:15 AM.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:20 AM   #8
zeropainter
portfolio

@mikefarny, I'm one of the tester with Linux Lubuntu, I mailed with Stephanie from your company ... and I have these black windows

I use:
- Lubuntu 14.04 64bit
- Intel 2600k CPU
- GTX 550TI GPU
- 32GB Kingston RAM

Can you solve this problem soon? On the other hand I can change my system e.g. to kubuntu or other distributions too

Edit: I asked in a german ubuntu forum about the black screen problems in Lubuntu, maybe its okay if I install COMPIZ for Linux Lubuntu ... I will test it, befor I change my Linux-System

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compiz

Last edited by zeropainter : 07-02-2014 at 12:41 PM. Reason: maybe compiz is a solution for linux

Old 07-02-2014, 09:37 AM   #9
Ciuccio
Veteran
portfolio
Giovanni
Palermo, Italy

After softimage assassination, this is a great news for me! Silo is the modeller I really loved in the past and the nevecerter abandonment was a bad hit for me.

Please, new features, like a Silo GoZ, and I'll buy others two copies.

Old 07-03-2014, 02:28 AM   #10
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

What is going on with this release? I downloaded and none of the keyboard or mouse bindings are there. I mean none. Is this a known issue or do I have to go in and set up shortcuts for everything? I thought my mouse was broken or something because I couldn't rotate the viewport.

Old 07-03-2014, 03:11 AM   #11
mikefarny
Frequenter
portfolio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepFactory
What is going on with this release? I downloaded and none of the keyboard or mouse bindings are there. I mean none. Is this a known issue or do I have to go in and set up shortcuts for everything? I thought my mouse was broken or something because I couldn't rotate the viewport.

Which platform, and which location did you get it from? There was a previous report that I think was Silo from steam on windows where it didn't seem to properly create and populate the "My Documents\Silo Data" folder. Can you check that folder and see if it has anything in it, if you're on windows?

Old 07-03-2014, 03:14 AM   #12
mikefarny
Frequenter
portfolio

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeropainter
@mikefarny, I'm one of the tester with Linux Lubuntu, I mailed with Stephanie from your company ... and I have these black windows

I use:
- Lubuntu 14.04 64bit
- Intel 2600k CPU
- GTX 550TI GPU
- 32GB Kingston RAM

Can you solve this problem soon? On the other hand I can change my system e.g. to kubuntu or other distributions too

Edit: I asked in a german ubuntu forum about the black screen problems in Lubuntu, maybe its okay if I install COMPIZ for Linux Lubuntu ... I will test it, befor I change my Linux-System

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compiz

Actually, I can imagine compiz potentially not playing nice with Silo and Qt 5, but I don't know for sure. It's on my list to get Lubuntu in a VM and play with it to see if I can't improve the Silo situation on that distro. If you get a chance to try out Kubuntu, I'd be much obliged if you could report back and let me know if it ran well on there (regular gnome/unity Ubuntu seems to work fine so far).

Old 07-03-2014, 08:10 AM   #13
zeropainter
portfolio

Smile

OK, dear Mike, so I will try it with Kubuntu, and I will test it next days. If there are problems I will use Ubuntu.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:07 PM   #14
Fakepilots
portfolio
Mattias Lindberg
Motion Designer
Fake Pilot AB
stockholm, Sweden

I got Silo on my Mac, from the App Store. Did the update to 2.3 and now I can't even open the software. It crashes on every try. Hoping for another update.

Have tried on OSX 10.9.3 and 10.9.4, on an iMac and a Macbook Pro.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:01 PM   #15
mikefarny
Frequenter
portfolio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fakepilots
I got Silo on my Mac, from the App Store. Did the update to 2.3 and now I can't even open the software. It crashes on every try. Hoping for another update.

Have tried on OSX 10.9.3 and 10.9.4, on an iMac and a Macbook Pro.

Please try downloading it from nevercenter.com and installing it that way. It may run in trial mode, but that should give us time to figure out what happened to your installation. The app store version is a little different.

reply share thread