Silo 2.3 Demo Not Installing Fully Nor Is The Purchased Steam Version

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Old 06 June 2014   #1

I am a Windows 32 bit XP user and I downloaded the PC Demo and it did not fully install.
There are missing icons and none of the presets load so not even the mouse works.

I downloaded the 30 day demo and my Icons are also missing in the scene editor. It appears the program is not completely installing. There is a Zip file named SDCopy.zip in the Silo 2.3 folder. It appears to have most of the program still zipped in it with what I assume are crucial DLL files and folders. Among the folders are preferences and icons folders.

I tried to unzip the SDCopy.zip file to the root directory Silo 2.3 and everything unzips fine except for what I assume are the DLL files. Those files do not have any file extensions in the zip folder and do not unzip.

I emailed http://nevercenter.com/ but I have not heard anything back in several days.

You can get almost all the functionality back if you unzip the SDCopy.zip into the root directory folder Silo 2.3 but the DLLs will be missing. You then have to manually load the Presets for Mouse, Keyboard and Buttons which are under the Editor/Options menu at the top of Silo's window. Then navigate to Silo 2.3/Preferences/Presets/ and the three folders for Mouse, Keyboard and Buttons will be there.

I then purchased it from Steam in hopes that a direct installation from them would fix the problem. I fully uninstalled the program before purchase.

I get the same errors and the same zip file except it is in the Steam>SteamApps>Silo_2 folder instead.

Old 06 June 2014   #2
Dang, sounds like its a mess.

Old 06 June 2014   #3
It sounds like the might be a file path issue in silodata.sip

Silo Data which contains all the prefs and presets etc is stored in user/documents/ since Vista - it all used to be in the install folder previously.

Check that Silo Data folder is actually in your documents folder, open silodata.sip in a text editor, scroll down to the section that starts:

<prfgrp name="Button Settings" id="115">

and make sure the file path to the buttons matches where they are located on your system.

Old 07 July 2014   #4
Yeah, this sounds like stale data tripping Silo up. You could try uninstalling Silo and removing whatever you unzipped in the program folder, then renaming your "Silo Data" folder in My Documents to something else ("Silo Data Backup"). Reinstall Silo, re-run it, and it should create a fresh Silo Data folder there with all the right things in it. It will be defaults, so it may take a bit to bring in your old key bindings and whatnot, sorry about that!

Please let me know if that works. If so, there may be something we can do to alleviate the issue and ignore old settings so they don't conflict with the new data.

Old 07 July 2014   #5

I found the Silo Data folder in My Documents but it is completely empty. :(

I am going to try and unzip the SDCopy.zip into the Silo Data folder but I am not holding out much hope since the DLL's didn't unzip successfully before.

I will let you know if it work.

Thank you all for replying.

Old 07 July 2014   #6
stalling Fully Nor Is The Purchased Steam Version

Hey it WORKED!!!

I just copied the SDCopy.zip to the Silo Data folder and unzipped it to the Silo Data folders and it all worked!!!

I will be sure to go onto the Steam forums and let the others who had the same problem what to do.

Thank you all so much!

I can't wait to get started creating things in Silo. I am a Maya user of 8 years but Silo's workflow seems like it will be so much faster than Maya at least for basic subdivision modeling.

I will be bringing my Silo creations into Maya or maybe 3D Coat to finish them up.

Thanks again everyone!

Old 07 July 2014   #7
Thanks everyone for the information in this thread. I also had the same problem on my XP but unipped the folder into The Silo Data one in My Documents and hey presto it works find now! I'm very happy indeed

reply share thread