Silo + Substance Painter

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Old 06 June 2014   #1
Silo + Substance Painter

Anyone try getting Silo models to work well with Substance Painter? I really want Substance Designer and Painter to be part of my workflow but loading my models into Substance Painter causes it to crash. Anyone have any luck getting these programs to play nice?

Old 06 June 2014   #2
Hello everyone, this is my first forum post, hello Vangald. I had the same problem loading the model in S.Painter from Silo, to solve the problem, I export the model to RoadKill first and then to S.Painter, here loads without problem.
This is the model that texturize (in part) in Substance Painter.[VEROLD]538a1d33f4c0b102000000d0[/VEROLD]

best regards

Old 06 June 2014   #3
Can one of you guys pass me an OBJ exported from Silo that doesn't work in Substance Painter, and then same model passed through Roadkill that does? I can compare the two and see what SP doesn't like and perhaps find a workaround in Silo. PM me if you don't want to share publicly, and I'll keep the model confidential.

Old 06 June 2014   #4
Hi Mike, you can try exporting the custon primitive (bust) to SP (this crash when loading) then upload it to RoadKill and then export it from here, and finally load this object in SP here works. If you need the obj, let me know, I will sent them. regards

Old 10 October 2014   #5
An update (some repeated info I posted in the win 64-bit thread):

As near as I can tell there are two problems with OBJs and Substance Painter:
  • We include the MTL file, and a line in the OBJ referencing it, but the MTL file is generally empty. Substance painter seems to hate this. Commenting the mtllib line in the OBJ (prepend the line with a #) seems to get them accepted.
  • When exporting subdivision meshes, UVs aren't exported unless the control mesh is refined first. (And missing UVs is obviously a problem in Substance Painter.)

Substance Painter wasn't crashing on me, but it just consistently would tell me the meshes were empty (hah, not a very smart error message in this case). Anyway, I can deal with these issues, they're pretty straightforward now that I know how to craft OBJs to its liking. (And fix the UVs export issue.)

I should have the issue addressed in a workable fashion in the 2.3.1 release of Silo.

reply share thread