Silo and it's usefullness

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

05 May 2014
Silo and it's usefullness

Hello All,

I'm a new Silo user and new to the forum... I have a few questions re the software as I'm running the trial and considering buying... I have a student version of Maya, but recently came across Silo as needed to use via a Digital Tutors Tutorial....

1. I'm primarily interested only in Low Poly modeling, what are the advantages of using Silo over Maya? speed and simplicity I'm guessing ?

2. I'm guessing Silo is never going to be updated, does this matter? are they a loyal band of followers?

3. is it worth the 60 ?

Sorry if these sound like dumb questions, I'm just working my way through Glen Southern's tutorial and I do very like the simplicity and minimal interface...

05 May 2014
Silo - Worth

So, the question is always, "Is Silo worth it...blah...blah"

Honest answer:

They are working on a small upgrade however, Nevercenter dropped the ball for years.
Basically screwed it's customer base and scraped off its forums etc.

However, Silo is still in use by some and with decent results.

Does Silo have everything a Pro modeler wants/needs - No!
Eventually, you will leave silo behind as the complexity of your modeling increases.

Is Silo fast and easy to learn for Low-Poly and quick "Base Meshes" - Yes.

Is Silo fun - yes if you can deal with the limitations, it's pretty cool.

Does Silo have issues - Yes! - Known bugs, Numeric Input sucks, etc.

Should you spend money on it for low poly/game? - Maybe.

Remember it has been years since an update so Modeling tools in almost every program have improved. Even Maya finally includes basic speed modeling tools comparable to Silo.

Why buy Silo then - because you want to and have a few bucks to burn.

Blender is free, Modo is strong, and there's an effort over at http://digitalfossils.com/ to replace the Silo experience and improve upon it for roughly the same price.

So, if I were you, I'd wait til the end of this month and see if the rumors of an update are true before jumping in. Silo has been losing ground versus other programs for a few years.

As a new artist, you're not just buying a program, you're investing your time...valuable time.
Spend it wisely!

05 May 2014
Fantastic feedback, much appreciated..

I think I've kinda managed a double post here... this one didn't show up initially...

Anyway its great feedback - case closed here :-)

05 May 2014
Compared to Maya I'm having a joy to model in Silo... I think part of what is so scary when starting 3d is the horrific interface! it's good to have a strip back modeling for a beginner..

05 May 2014
Yeah, Silo got the whole "Zen" of modeling thing right.

FYI - You might also like Mudbox or 3D-Coat if you're into sculpting -both are quick to learn.

3D-Coat is a very fun tool, doesn't cost too much, and has gone on sale every Christmas for about $250.

Also if you like Silo - you can use 3D-Coat to "Kit Bash" your Silo models/nurnes together.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk...gsyROJU4dlNu0Mg

05 May 2014
Thanks for the great advice once again...

reply share thread