CGTalk > More Forums > Click Here for: > Nevercenter Silo
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 06-09-2014, 03:54 PM   #46
mikefarny
Frequenter
portfolio

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik75
Also I remember people mentioning some kind of polygon limit for Silo?
Is that true or not?

I can't see a limit inside the code (other than 32-bit or 64-bit limits, which are way more faces than anybody ever uses in a single model). There is a limit on how many faces a model may have when you save it if you aren't registered yet, could that be what they were referring to?

Old 06-10-2014, 01:24 AM   #47
Vangald
Veteran
portfolio
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefarny
FBX is...annoying, from a developer perspective, because they change the format at will and you have to use their library to read/write the format. Collada is open, but it's also a giant mess, due to it's "design by committee" origins. I so wish there was a standard that was truly good for at least bones/skinning and hierarchical transforms.

Have any of you guys had success exporting and importing any sort of rigs with Collada/.dae format from one package to another? If so, that's something to look into. Although it'd be a big project to add any sort of rigging and skinning support to Silo (for good reason; it tries to not be everything to everyone because then you get hideous monsters like Max and Maya).

So maybe some rework on how it exports .obj? It seems that there is an issue with how the current implementation handles UV's. Or at least that is what I am lead to believe after reading this thread I posted recently. http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...f=175&t=1189034

In my personal workflow if I can get Silo to play nice with substance designer and painter then the only major thorn in my side will be animation.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:52 AM   #48
mikefarny
Frequenter
portfolio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vangald
So maybe some rework on how it exports .obj? It seems that there is an issue with how the current implementation handles UV's. Or at least that is what I am lead to believe after reading this thread I posted recently. http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...f=175&t=1189034

In my personal workflow if I can get Silo to play nice with substance designer and painter then the only major thorn in my side will be animation.

I replied in that thread, if I can get comparison OBJs I can probably do something about it.

Animation is a complex topic. I wouldn't hold my breath for a complete anim system in Silo. That would enormously complicate things.

Old 06-10-2014, 02:06 AM   #49
Vangald
Veteran
portfolio
USA

I kind of figure the only option on nevercenter's front would be to make a companion application that does animation but bridges with silo. The say way after effects bridges with premiere. And honestly I think it would be the best option in order to keep Silo stream lined. Of course an animation program is probably far out of scope seeing as how they are just now working on a Silo update.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:29 AM   #50
jdcooke2014
Explorer
portfolio
Joseph Cooke
Toronto, Canada

The only issue I've come across with Silo and "obj" files can been seen when you open them in a text editor - the materials are broken up into small groups based on the order in which the faces were created ( I think)... Usually, obj files name a material and then list all the faces assigned to it directly underneath, then the next material and all it's faces are listed and so on. The fact that Silo does this may be confusing Substance Designer and requiring you to pass the file through Roadkill or Blender to re-group the materials and their faces.

take care

Old 06-10-2014, 08:42 AM   #51
Baaaah!
Veteran

Paul Sinton
Environment Artist
United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to Baaaah!
Quote:
Animation is a complex topic. I wouldn't hold my breath for a complete anim system in Silo. That would enormously complicate things.

I think building on what Silo already has is definitely the best course of action.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:21 PM   #52
Giakaama7
portfolio
Catalin Giakaama
Bucharest, RO

Quote:
I replied in that thread, if I can get comparison OBJs I can probably do something about it.

Agreed, please no Animation in Silo, only build on what are Silo's Strengths, maybe an updated UV editor, but I prefer NO Animation, Particles, Render, Painting.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:27 PM   #53
Boone
Lord of the posts
portfolio
-
United Kingdom

MikeFarny, thank you for taking the time to reply to us. It is appreciated.

I'm just finishing off a job for a friend, but I am very eager to test both Vista(Home 32bit) and Ubuntu(Saucy Salamander) versions of Silo. I shall be PMing you very shortly!

Oh, just to throw in some thoughts: Please don't take Silo down the full package route! App-links to other packages maybe, but Silo is best kept as a dedicated modeller.

Cheers.

Currently working on...HCR #42

Old 06-17-2014, 09:02 AM   #54
zeropainter
portfolio

Hello dear Silo Users,

I'm new in this forum and I'm also in contact with nevercenter - for testing the linux beta version.

happy to see, that silo is alive

Old 06-17-2014, 08:09 PM   #55
Vangald
Veteran
portfolio
USA

Any chance the patch notes can be put up on steam?

Old 06-24-2014, 08:11 AM   #56
rootdown
Frequenter

portfolio
Root
Illustrator
USA

I just wanted to chime in here to say I'm elated Silo's getting updates again. Pay no attention to the hecklers, there's still folks out here who love using the software and will gladly continue to do so.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:32 PM   #57
oldone

portfolio
Jim B
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootdown
I just wanted to chime in here to say I'm elated Silo's getting updates again. Pay no attention to the hecklers, there's still folks out here who love using the software and will gladly continue to do so.

Quite right ,nice one Nevercenter.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:06 PM   #58
FelixCat
Know-it-All

Felix Albert Ventura
Art Director
Metanet y Cia Ltda
Santiago, Chile

Great!!!
i still use SILO, despite itīs problems, itīs the best modeling app i had ever used so far, and i willingly pay US$ 100 a year for updates. Happily.
You should talk to the folks at Electricimage as they are in dire need of a modeler to be bundled with their program, itīs a win win for both...
Holding my breath.
FelixCat

Old 06-26-2014, 06:30 PM   #59
Redcode
portfolio
Reginald Thomas Jr.
Thomas Creative Studio
Greensboro, USA

Electric Image

For some reason (and I don't know ANY details), Silo used to be bundled with Electric Image and it was great. I STILL use Silo (although I don't use Electric Image any longer.)

Old 06-26-2014, 06:45 PM   #60
InfoCentral
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixCat
Great!!!
i still use SILO, despite itīs problems, itīs the best modeling app i had ever used so far, and i willingly pay US$ 100 a year for updates. Happily.
Holding my breath.
FelixCat

And the Fan Boys come out...

reply share thread