Nevercenter Activity?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 05 May 2014   #31
Any news in general?

*snickers*

Old 05 May 2014   #32
A Linux version of Silo would be fantastic. Ubuntu, if possible. The only thing other than games that is holding me to windows right now is Silo.

If Nevercenter is reading this, I'm quite happy to pay 100 a year for Silo, if that's what it takes to have it updated on a regular basis. I am sure there are other serious Silo users here who feel the same way. Hell, even Sega was using your product at one time so its definitely got the potential to have big-studio recognition. Even years after you stopped development, Silo was still getting reviews such as this...

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2595...3d_modeler.html

...seriously, not developing Silo is as big a mistake as Autodesk retiring Softimage. If Silo was suddenly back on the scene it would be most welcome. Do keep it Windows and Mac only, if that makes development and maintenance easier, but please do update it.

Currently working on...HCR #42

Old 06 June 2014   #33
Originally Posted by mikefarny: My goal is to try to have a release wrapped up by the end of the month, but no promises.

Any news abouth the new release ?

Old 06 June 2014   #34
Oooh... could this really be happening?

I used silo on a job recently and it turned heads. I was able to get stuff done a fair bit faster than anyone using maya and I am certain that it was the choice of software.

I pay for Maya every year so I am doggedly using it for modelling at the moment as it has improved a little. It is still a bit painful though. I keep wandering how much more I will need to spend before Maya is as good as Silo for modelling (particularly character modelling).

If I were to make a list of bug / feature suggestions, where would it be best to send them? I only want little things (plus general stability improvements which I appreciate is a big thing).

Old 06 June 2014   #35
I would really love to see an update of silo

i absolutely love silo modeling tools , maya has made my modeling progress very slow . The easy to use tool and sculpting in silo is great , the fact interface and great modeling tools offer speed ,just wat ive been looking for ..

Old 06 June 2014   #36
Seeing the news about the price drop and free version of Renderman I suddenly remembered that Silo exports RIB.....would have been nice if we hook it up as an external renderer in the same way as 3Delight

And no news about the update yet?

Last edited by Veehoy : 06 June 2014 at 08:31 AM.

Old 06 June 2014   #37
They're looking for registered Silo Users that run Linux.

Old 06 June 2014   #38
Originally Posted by dragontoad: They're looking for registered Silo Users that run Linux.

Here is the link:
https://www.facebook.com/Silo3D?hc_location=timeline
for anyone with an interest

Old 06 June 2014   #39
Linux User

I meet that criteria:

Linux + Registered User

Nevercenter Let me know if you're interested.

I'd be happy to help.

My first choice in Linux is the Redhat CentOS Fedora branch but, I'm not opposed to Ubuntu/Debian.

Old 06 June 2014   #40
Thoughts

You know, if Silo stays focused on awesome modeling, refines its game, and ports to Linux...

Old 06 June 2014   #41
I don't do Facebook, but I would like to assist in any testing of a Linux version. I'm a legit user of the Pro version of Silo running on Windows Vista 32-Bit, but would prefer to use Linux instead(open to any distribution).

Could someone, who is on FaceBook, be kind enough to direct their attention to this forum? Where their customers actually are? It was Nevercenter who put us here after they gave up on the official Silo forum...shouldn't this be where they put such requests?

Currently working on...HCR #42

Old 06 June 2014   #42
I wouldn't mind having a couple of guinea pigs help test a cut of the linux version. If you have a reg code already, it should work for the Linux version as well I believe. PM me if you have the time, and the inclination to file at least semi-detailed reports on your experience.

Linux distros we've tested on thus far: CentOS / RHEL 6, Fedora 19, Fedora 20, and Ubuntu 14.04. Generally speaking, if you've got a glibc at least as new as what ships with Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6, and a recent X and OpenGL, it should work. I'm also interested to hear how the installer process goes; if it can't launch the GUI for the installer, it will fall back to ncurses, and then back to commandline.

Don't post the reports here, but send them to me directly or to Nevercenter, so we don't muddle this thread with esoteric Linux crud.

Old 06 June 2014   #43
Originally Posted by Giakaama7: Any news abouth the new release ?

It's very close. We're finalizing the OS X version, but the other two platforms (Win 32-bit and Linux 64-bit) are pretty much done. I'm collecting a few linux testers at the moment, so based on that feedback there may be some last-minute changes. If any of you are interested in testing on at least Win32 you ought to speak up on the Facebook page or PM me. I don't know how many testers I can take, but a few extra eyeballs on it before it officially flies out the door surely couldn't hurt.

Just FYI: this release is not going to be a big ground-breaker in terms of new features, so don't expect too much. Among the changes are a handful of bugs squashed, 64-bit support (although I think for now we're still just shipping a 32-bit win version), STL import, and of course a linux version. Most of the updates were internal, and not user-visible. But we're trying to set the stage for more interesting updates down the line.

Old 06 June 2014   #44
Thanks for the update Mike, looking forward to the update.

take care

Old 06 June 2014   #45
the news of an update is great news.
You should talk to the folks at Electricimage as they are in dire need of a modeler to be bundled with their program.They are moving things along quickly over there.
Any chance of an extrude points tool?
Also I remember people mentioning some kind of polygon limit for Silo?
Is that true or not?

reply share thread