Nevercenter Activity?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

05 May 2014
So, mikefarny.....will it come with Arnold integrated? Or a SiloToArnold bridge?
Just kidding. Looking forward to 64-bit support.

Last edited by Veehoy : 05 May 2014 at 11:51 AM.

05 May 2014
Originally Posted by Vangald: I hope Silo expands to support more formats. Especially rigged formats even if Silo itself doesn't do rigging.

Thats probably my biggest challenge when working with Silo. I use OBJ to export back and forward, but sometimes the UV mapping gets destroyed (also it doesnt support 2 UV sets, etc.). Formats like DAE or FBX would be great.

Last edited by outburner : 05 May 2014 at 11:44 AM.

05 May 2014
Would love to see a boolean modeling tool as well.

05 May 2014
Originally Posted by Veehoy: So, mikefarny.....will it come with Arnold integrated? Or a SiloToArnold bridge?
Just kidding. Looking forward to 64-bit support.

Heh, nope, nothing to do with Arnold or rendering. My personal role in this is just as a bit of extra help; Silo is still Nevercenter's baby through and through. So don't expect too much inside baseball from me, so to speak.

05 May 2014
Originally Posted by Vangald: Would love to see a boolean modeling tool as well.

I just did a boolean subtract (select two objects, go to Modify -> Boolean -> Boolean Subtract), so either it's already there in 2.2 or you'll see it in the next release. I haven't gone back and installed a vanilla 2.2 to check if it was there already or not.

05 May 2014
Originally Posted by outburner: Thats probably my biggest challenge when working with Silo. I use OBJ to export back and forward, but sometimes the UV mapping gets destroyed (also it doesnt support 2 UV sets, etc.). Formats like DAE or FBX would be great.

FBX is...annoying, from a developer perspective, because they change the format at will and you have to use their library to read/write the format. Collada is open, but it's also a giant mess, due to it's "design by committee" origins. I so wish there was a standard that was truly good for at least bones/skinning and hierarchical transforms.

Have any of you guys had success exporting and importing any sort of rigs with Collada/.dae format from one package to another? If so, that's something to look into. Although it'd be a big project to add any sort of rigging and skinning support to Silo (for good reason; it tries to not be everything to everyone because then you get hideous monsters like Max and Maya).

05 May 2014
Any chance of getting some kind of relational modeling going?
In other words say make a circle extrude a long a path and then be able to change the original shapes which would change the extrude.
Lightwave still can't do this although Hexagon can,(with dynamic geometry) as well as Cinema 4d.

05 May 2014
Originally Posted by mikefarny: FBX is...annoying, from a developer perspective, because they change the format at will and you have to use their library to read/write the format. Collada is open, but it's also a giant mess, due to it's "design by committee" origins. I so wish there was a standard that was truly good for at least bones/skinning and hierarchical transforms.

Have any of you guys had success exporting and importing any sort of rigs with Collada/.dae format from one package to another? If so, that's something to look into. Although it'd be a big project to add any sort of rigging and skinning support to Silo (for good reason; it tries to not be everything to everyone because then you get hideous monsters like Max and Maya).

I've never tried exporting or importing any rigs with Collada, but I have tried importing just simple models from one program to another and that in itself was a lot of hassle, so I imagine trying the same for a rigged object would probably be a nightmare - not that I've tried however. It seems a lot of effort to go to for something that might not work very well. I work in the games industry and I have to say that I've never really used .FBX or Collada - I've always found .OBJ the most useful.

I think I share the view that Silo should primarily be a modelling program. Speaking of which, any chance of hard and soft edge definition? :P

05 May 2014
I read the news on the Silo Fanpage on Facebook. If there really is an update coming out, even just adding 64bit and a substantial amount of Bugfixes i'd be the happiest person in the world! I'm currently in school learning Maya. Yesterday i tried out Silo again after a year of absence and was able to do everything two times as quickly as with Maya's modeling tools... until it crashed on my after about 20 minutes.

Please don't leave us mikefarny and keep us updated with insider information how it's progressing I've never found another modeler so zen like Silo no matter how hard i searched. I would pay for it a second time, if that only meant that we'd see more regular development of it in the future. I think it's a much better investment for Nevercenter anyways instead of all this Camerabag instant photo BS.... Back when Silo was new i remember it having quite some Hype surrounding it.

05 May 2014
Dragontoad, Considering that Nevercenter has been selling a product that hasn't been updated in years, I'd say yes, improving Silo and returning to regular updates would be a sound financial decision.

However, they need to foster some goodwill with their user base!

Losing Silo development and having our community "kicked to the curb" was like a painful break up! Now, the X is back in town, after all these years, dialing us up for a booty call!

Do you take her back or have you moved on?
For me it all depends on how she approaches it.
We all love Silo but, she's got to be willing to stick around this time!

Last edited by cyborge : 05 May 2014 at 08:09 PM.

05 May 2014
What a nice surprise !!!
I will love to have an update of silo. Love Silo!

Guys did you get work your 3dconnexion Mouse using silo?
Years ago i download an .exe file from the old Silo web Forum, but this file dont want to work any more.

Is there a work around to use the 3dconnexion mouse with silo 2.2?

Any info i will appreciate.

Cheers!

My Basics Mel Scripts
~{xbo_::_Scripts}~

05 May 2014
Originally Posted by mikefarny: I just did a boolean subtract (select two objects, go to Modify -> Boolean -> Boolean Subtract), so either it's already there in 2.2 or you'll see it in the next release. I haven't gone back and installed a vanilla 2.2 to check if it was there already or not.

Oh wow. How did I miss that? I totally kept looking over that. That changes so many things! Awesome.

I have no experience with collada so I don't know if it will fit my needs. I specifically need something that works with Unity. As long as it does that then I am a happy camper.

05 May 2014
Here is something I think needs to be addressed, just a small issue:

When shelling an object if you want something to be .8mm, for instance, then you have to divide .8 by .3 = 2.666. So when you type 2.666 into the shell default amount, it will shell .8mm.

I'm glad Silo is getting an update!

05 May 2014
Originally Posted by Vangald: Oh wow. How did I miss that? I totally kept looking over that. That changes so many things! Awesome.

One thing to consider when doing boolean operations in Silo, is that Silo supports holes in faces that do not need to be connected to the surrounding edges. eg. subtract a cylinder from a face. the result is a circular hole in the face with no connection to face edges. When you export the object and open in another application, you will likely find your boolean ops have gone missing.

You can easily add in a connecting edge; but if your target app does not support >4sided polygons, it could be quite a job.

Perhaps a feature request.... :]

05 May 2014
Any news about an updated (and useable) Numerical Editor? It's been one of those basic yet infuriating aspects of Silo - zeroing out the values when rotating.

reply share thread