How about Open Sourcing Silo?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

View Poll Results: Would YOU be interested in buying and Open Sourcing Silo?
Yes. I'm interested in developing it and have some time to spare. 5 25.00%
Yes, but I'm not a developer, so it has to be as a tester. 12 60.00%
No, I think this would turn a stable program into a mess. 2 10.00%
No, I think that Open Sourcing this project is a bad idea. 1 5.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 12 December 2013   #1
How about Open Sourcing Silo?

After what I can see it hasn't received any updates the LAST TWO YEARS or so.
Is this application about to vaporize into oblivion?

If so I think it's a shame that they don't open-source it, so that others can take the responsibility of bringing this program up to date and fix eventual bugs etc.

This is a open suggestion:
I work as a programmer using C++, Python, C# and some other tools.
I'd be honored if I could make this project move forward by engaging a group of fellow programmers to take care of this extremely valuable little modeling application.

There is a definite need for an application like this for people that are sick of all the never-ending bugs that keeps flowing in and out of Autodesk's products and for those without the financial backing needed to use these programs legally and do not qualify for student software.

Now that The Foundry has snatched Luxology, the prices will only keep getting higher, and Modo which was once a plain polygonal modeler starts to take on a "cram it all into one package" appearance.

Some people might like that, but I believe in the old UNIX philosophy, to have one tool do one thing extremely well, and then combine multiple such tools to create a production chain.

So, if anyone is with me on this way of thinking, let's gather the forces and start by contacting the representatives over at Nevercenter.com.

I have been using both Maya, 3DS, Modo and Houdini legally in the past, but I just can't keep up with the costly updates.
Therefore I've started to learn Blender, and it really is a gem in the rough. Some more years of development and this post would never been written, but still I feel that having a separate, fast and STABLE application for polygonal modeling somewhat of a must.

Personally I have a commercial license for Modo 401, and it does what I need, but this is a way of trying to start a community effort, for our future as 3D enthusiasts, not only for the professionals in the industry.

I'll include a poll, to check out the interest for trying to buy the rights to the source code from Nevercenter and turn this into a Open Source project.

Old 12 December 2013   #2
Frankly, I think you would be better off moving this poll elsewhere since this place is pretty much dead. And it's not like it is only Silo users that would be interested. So maybe post another poll in General Discussion or have the mods move this thread there...

Old 12 December 2013   #3
I'm a developer as well, and cautiously like the idea. Blender is like someone taking a ball of clay and rolling it across a filthy carpet. It is a horror story of UX design. I fear that open source development of Silo might lead to uncontrolled overgrowth of the program.

Either way, I doubt nevercenter would ever open it up. I'm guessing they're just trying to ride it out a bit longer while they still have any selling point or draw in the industry, trying to sell the IP rights to the highest bidder.

Old 12 December 2013   #4
They might not even have the source code anymore.

Old 12 December 2013   #5
Originally Posted by outburner: They might not even have the source code anymore.

That or some other tragedy could explain the situation.

If its gone, its gone.

Maybe we can make an opensource spiritual successor.

Old 12 December 2013   #6
I would love to see this program gain more support and features while still being a dedicated modeler program. Then maybe have an animation program develop along side it. I love working in this program but it's limitations as far as file import and export and a general lack of support is irritating.

Hopefully this program doesn't get sold off to some greedy shmucks like Autodesk who will bloatware it and jack the price up so they can extort large companies and down right shit on individuals.

Old 12 December 2013   #7
Originally Posted by Vangald: Hopefully this program doesn't get sold off to some greedy shmucks like Autodesk who will bloatware it and jack the price up so they can extort large companies and down right shit on individuals.

Don't forget about Autodesk slamming on a "View Cube" and some stupid "Fly Through" tools as well.
Plus integrate the severely damaged edition of MentalRay they push onto their clients. (XSI Might be the only of them that has a relatively proper implementation of MentalRay integration.)

Old 12 December 2013   #8
Originally Posted by outburner: They might not even have the source code anymore.

Good point. That might explain why they haven't done any updates for two years.
But they're still milking the cow though.
Selling obsolete software. But it works, so I guess that makes it "business as usual".

I work as a developer myself, so...

Old 12 December 2013   #9
I believe Silo is built on top of a cross-platform UI library which is commercially licensed (can't remember which one, but it came up as the reason for the longstanding problems with Silo and some version of Mac OS X) and this dependency might make open-sourcing Silo problematic.

Sadly, I think the best way for a programmer with good UX sensibilities to contribute to the 3D world would be to get on the Blender bandwagon and try to help out -- the major UI push with Blender 2.5-2.6 has paid dividends -- it's far from perfect, but much better than it was.

Old 12 December 2013   #10
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by oranjoose: I'm a developer as well, and cautiously like the idea. Blender is like someone taking a ball of clay and rolling it across a filthy carpet. It is a horror story of UX design. I fear that open source development of Silo might lead to uncontrolled overgrowth of the program.

Either way, I doubt nevercenter would ever open it up. I'm guessing they're just trying to ride it out a bit longer while they still have any selling point or draw in the industry, trying to sell the IP rights to the highest bidder.

An absolutely understandable and probable but tragic scenario. Let's hope not...

If I where to start maintaining and developing features for this app, I'd use a C++ GUI framework like Digia's QT for the GUI part and have very strict UI and design Guideline for fellow programmers, following common User Interface Guidelines and tried and tested approaches from other applications with the ability to customize as much as possible on a user level.

On a conceptual and architectural programming / source-code level it will be GIT and obligatory peer code review, utilizing the best of the OOP paradigm, as it fits best for this kind of application.

C++ for the meat and potatoes and Python for the API (maybe also the GUI) layer is a nice combination I think.

Old 12 December 2013   #11
Thumbs up Link to this post has now been added to the main forums...

Maybe that will attract some more people to the post.

Chris

Old 12 December 2013   #12
All the code rights issues aside, why would they?

If they sell 1000 licenses on steam its an easy 40K. And Steam is a gigantic market. Still lots of good revenue to be had there with Silo.

Old 01 January 2014   #13
One option might be to encourage them to start a kickstarter campaign to generate investment to fund the development of a Silo V3.

Chad

Old 01 January 2014   #14
I know they are still selling Silo, as a long time user of the program, because they sell it on Steam and Smith-Micro is selling it for them along with their Camera Bag software.

Old 01 January 2014   #15
A fund was suggested at Nevercenter many times, however, the developers simply never responded to anything after a while.

Silo is small, fast and intuitive, the only problem I see with open source development is that people would try to add thousands of abilities, ala 3DS, and ruin a very good program. What Silo needs, and has needed, is about a half dozen additional commands like the ability to chamfer, bend, etc and then refining what is already there. Just my thoughts.

reply share thread