Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 08-15-2013, 05:32 PM   #1
Vangald
Veteran
portfolio
USA

Support Tools

Not sure if I should even post this here but it seems appropriate. If not please let me know. Anyways as we all know Silo is just a 3D modeller but what should I use for animating?

I am looking for something that has the nice workflow Silo brings to the table and with a similar price point. So far I have been disappointed. Most free programs just don't cut it because their UI is a mess.

If anyone can suggest a companion program to go with Silo I would much appreciate it.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:28 PM   #2
Boone
Lord of the posts
portfolio
-
United Kingdom

Vangald, my Silo friend, you ask a good question but have two options available to you...

The first is PMG's Messiah. Even in professional animation, its considered very powerful(possibly more so than Maya or Softimage). It doesn't do any modelling, but in addition to its powerful rigging'n'animation features it has a powerful renderer. Quite often Messiah will go on sale, so watch the website...

The second option is Blender. Has animation abilities that at least blow Lightwave and Modo out of the water, is free of charge, but a bitch to learn. However, its community is MUCH larger than that of Messiah and help is always at hand over on BlenderArtists - the largest Blender community on the net. Another bonus is Blender's most excellent UV-editor which surprisingly has an incredibly easy interface(why can't the rest of Blender be as easy to use?). Oh, it uses Python as its main scripting language, which can only be a good thing...

I personally went for Blender(free, python, large community), but if you have some experience in rigging'n'animation already and don't mind paying for good, dedicated software then Messiah could be the better choice for you.

Currently working on...HCR #42

Old 08-19-2013, 04:44 PM   #3
Vangald
Veteran
portfolio
USA

Well started trying to work with Blender again. I hate it but Messiah is more than I am willing to spend. I figured out I can set the controls to mimic Maya which in turn makes it act a little more similar to Silo. However, the coordinate system is ticking me off. Anyway I can make Blender use the same coordinate system as Silo?

Old 08-19-2013, 09:50 PM   #4
Boone
Lord of the posts
portfolio
-
United Kingdom

Oh, you mean all that Z-axis stuff. I don't think you can to be honest. Blender has more in common with Max than Maya...

Blender is powerful, but there are times I want to scream at it. After so many attempts I simply cannot model in Blender and have to fall back to Silo.

Get this: in Silo, you can change a view to whatever you want, so I can swap the front view for a perspective view. Then have it remain that way when toggling space to the expanded view and back again. Blender, for some stupid reason cannot do this. The manual says you have to unlock, select your view and lock again to do it but even that doesn't work. It keeps resetting to the default views!

Its times like those that I pray to God that Nevercenter releases an animation'n'render package companion to Silo. It would rock so much!

Old 08-20-2013, 09:21 AM   #5
outburner
psy cop

portfolio
clandestine studio
Crescent Island, Bulgaria

Hey guys, i own a Messiah license, and IMO it was very complex to get into, so i never used it again... back in the day we animated with CharacterFX and Milkshape, later Fragmotion (mentioning here only indie affordable tools).

Recently i had a job to animate some characters and i tried Blender (believe me i hate it even more than anyone else)... and you know what? If you focus only on the task at hand, in that case rigging and animating is pretty easy... just stick to the task at hand, do not wander off in Blender's infinite ocean of tools and otherworldly complexity...
I bought 2 books on rigging and animation in blender, downloaded hours and hours of tutorials, read hundreds of pages on the web... but and the end a tutorial on cgtuts helped me the most >>> rigging in Blender

Here are some poses of the models i rigged and animated in Blender... i cant show them in motion yet, sorry :P

PS: i too am still searching for an animation tool as intuitive as Silo... so if someone else has an idea... you're welcome

Last edited by outburner : 08-20-2013 at 07:15 PM.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:20 PM   #6
Boone
Lord of the posts
portfolio
-
United Kingdom

I have to agree, Outburner, that Blender is good so long as you remain focused. I prefer my old Maya days for rigging'n'animation, but Blender does it well enough I guess.

Personally, I long for some time out to write my own animation'n'rendering package that can sit alongside Silo. Man, I would make it rock! I would make Maya my bitch!

Well, maybe not make Maya my bitch but I could at least render out in BMP and Targa formats...

Old 08-20-2013, 02:20 PM   #7
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread