180 Degree Rotation and Instance Question

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2013   #1
Question 180 Degree Rotation and Instance Question

Hey and Hello,

just started with modelling and got the Program Silo 2 for that. It's pretty user-friendly but still got 2 Questions I would be really glad if you modelling gurus could help me with:

1. I just can't find a way to rotate my created Instance of the main object by 180 so it is mirrored.

(Is there another way to actually mirror the object ? Maybe I'm doing it wrong in the first place .. I create a path, dublicate it and fill the space with polygon planes (so I have my basic shape and don't need to start from a cube) so I have the half of my object (let's take a heart as example. I have one half of my heart) now i create an instance of the half heart. The instance looks exactly the same as my main object. Now I need to rotate it... how? I mean, I can manually rotate it, but thats not the way I want to go .. I want it to be exactly 180 degree.

2. (Again my heart as an example) I have my 2 half hearts and want to fit them together .. if I move when close together so they create the full heart, there is still the cut line in the middle of the heart. (I broke the Edge so it does not get Subdivided). Anyone got a hint how I could make a beatiful .. NOT BROKEN ;D heart?

All the best,

DN

Old 08 August 2013   #2
Found the solution to Question 2:
Combined the Object with the instance and made the mirroring over the object as a whole. Merged the Edges and now it looks alright.

Still wondering where the rotation by a set amount is located.

Old 08 August 2013   #3
You can use the numerical editor to rotate by a set amount. Be warned that rotation values are zeroed immediately.

You can also use the snapping manipulator to rotate in 15 degree increments.

If you mirror the object (rather than instance mirror) that should get rid of the sharp seam.

Last edited by Cinnsealach : 08 August 2013 at 12:37 PM.

Old 08 August 2013   #4
Thanks, Cinnsealach, the numerical Editor was exactly what I was looking for!

And thanks for the tip with the mirroring. Still so much to learn

Old 08 August 2013   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread