CGTalk > More Forums > Click Here for: > Nevercenter Silo
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 07-29-2013, 12:59 PM   #1
whirlpool
portfolio
United Kingdom

Problems with Silo 2

Hi all,

I just purchased Silo 2 from Steam, and started it up... it doesn't really look like I think it should, as it starts in a titchy window and the mouse controls don't work. Also I suspect that there should be some icons somewhere by default startup.

I suspect this is OS or display graphics related. Im running W8 Pro x64 with Intel Core i7-3970X, 16GB RAM and an Nvidia GeForce GTX680 (1920 x 1080 display), so my rig should eat this for breakfast.

Anyone have any ideas where my problem lies?

Many thanks,
Glynn

Old 07-31-2013, 12:33 PM   #2
whirlpool
portfolio
United Kingdom

Fixed it...

For anyone that encounters the same issue i fixed it...

When I install Steam games (as I got this via Steam), I install them to my I: directory rather than C:

When I un-installed, from I: and put back onto C: it worked fine. It seems that the default coding/settings for key bindings and icons point to C: directories by default, and as a consequence were not displaying.

Any-hows, its fixed now.

Thanks,
Glynn

Old 08-01-2013, 10:27 PM   #3
Boone
Lord of the posts
portfolio
-
United Kingdom

Glad you found the solution, Glynn.

Any trouble with Silo then help is here.

Currently working on...HCR #42

Old 08-04-2013, 03:11 PM   #4
whirlpool
portfolio
United Kingdom

Cheers :)

Thanks Boone :-)

I've been watching the Silo 2 tutorials, and its really quite a neat package. Shame it doesn't have a built in renderer. Can you suggest one that's simple enough to use?

I'm a bit of a dabbler in 3D at the moment and have mostly used Sketchup which I'm reasonably proficient at (great some quick simple models). I'd love to get hold of some pro software like Maya or ZBrush and learn how to use it properly.. Maybe even a career change in the future :-))

Thanks,
Glynn

Old 08-04-2013, 03:43 PM   #5
Boone
Lord of the posts
portfolio
-
United Kingdom

Whirlpool my friend, I have used 3ds Max in the past for rendering, but now use Blender for anything outside of modelling. If I were to spend money for rendering, then I would go straight for Lightwave.

Be warned though, Blender is quite different to other packages, and will lead to some head banging. "Blender for Dummies" and being a member of BlenderArtists is recommended!

Currently working on...HCR #42

Old 01-10-2014, 05:11 PM   #6
BlueTide
Veteran

portfolio
Janne Kaasalainen
Interaction Designer
Nokia Design
Espoo, Finland

I'm running into the same issue, but on a Macbook Pro. Funnily enough, if I'm running an OS from non-internal hard drive (external Firewire drive) I see the exact same issue but if I boot from the native disk everything seems to work fine.

Any idea what causes this?

Old 01-11-2014, 11:28 AM   #7
whirlpool
portfolio
United Kingdom

Hi BlueTide,

I never got the bottom of getting it to work on my I:, but I suspect that there is a file buried in the program directory that has some defaults to C:, irrespective of where the install directory is. Kind of a program bug.

It just depends on whether the file can be identified, and if it can be edited in an easy manner (like Notepad).

Sorry I cant be more help.
whirlpool

Old 01-27-2014, 05:05 PM   #8
BlueTide
Veteran

portfolio
Janne Kaasalainen
Interaction Designer
Nokia Design
Espoo, Finland

Thanks for the suggestion. This is really puzzling to me since from what I can see my installations are identical. Oh well, better hope for the best that some install just magically fixes this. :-)

Old 01-27-2014, 05:05 PM   #9
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread