How many of us are still using Silo?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2013   #1
How many of us are still using Silo?

Okay, just out of curiosity, I'd like to get an idea of how many Silo users remain.

Obviously there is the white elephant in the corner of the room: Silo is still on sale but not seen an update in years. So we don't need to talk about that because we will only bang our heads in frustration...we get you and agree with you.

But how many of you are still using Silo for modelling? Do you feel that Silo continues to cover your needs and felt no reason to use anything else for modelling?

Leave a reply with "Aye." and just a little bit about why you are still using it.

Currently working on...HCR #42

Old 07 July 2013   #2
I'm still using it for almost all my 3D needs, both professionally and as a hobby (in both cases i model mostly for realtime presentations, be it architecture, packaging or games)... there are times that i get tired and go on the internet to look for a replacement, i try some software and ultimately i go back to Silo for modeling. I've tried Modo (even though is a little bit expensive for home use), Blender, i own 3DCoat, tried MAX, SoftImage and recently i tried Shade 3D... which was new to me, but actually its one of the oldest 3D modeling software in existence... since the late 1980s.

Almost all of them have more features, BUT... almost nothing that cant be achieved in Silo.
Also, i've noticed that the more features there are, the more rules we have to follow... Silo feels like you're free to do anything, like you're in nature and can go in any direction, there is no specific way or sequence for a task.

I even started the racetrack with CityScape (especially made for roads and intersections), but i scrapped it and made it entirely with Silo.

I have my small list of wishes for Silo 3, but there is nothing that prevents me from working.

Last edited by outburner : 07 July 2013 at 11:52 AM.

Old 07 July 2013   #3
Thanks Outburner.

I might as well chime in as well. Silo is a match made in Heaven for me: It has the interface of Maya but the modelling muscle of Max, along with sculpting, UV-Mapping...and a super subdivision feature. 85 for a modeller that beats the pants off of Maya and Max? SOLD.

I've not found a better modeller since I purchased my copy of Silo back in 2009, so I have little reason to use anything else. The only modelling package I will buy in addition to Silo is ZBrush, because its the best off all the sculpting packages and like Silo, very cost effective...and has the additional benefit of being the industry standard.

Old 07 July 2013   #4
I use Silo exclusively for modeling. That includes any bash meshes for sculpting in ZBrush, buildings, props, mecha, etc. It's just so fun and easy to model in it. Every time I try another modeler, I reach some point where I realize I can do it so much faster in Silo. Though I do marvel when people create organic objects or characters in Silo, since I find that quite challenging.

I've used it in the past for UVs, but dealing with its UV quirks was too frustrating so I do those in Blender now (much smoother).

I do wish Silo had some improved stability and maybe a few more features, but it works well for me now.

LH

Old 07 July 2013   #5
I just started in Silo. The price was right and I find the interface easier to work with. Only other 3D package I have tried and liked was XSI but I am not paying that price for it. I find Blender to be a convoluted mess and hate the control scheme. I hope Nevercenter comes back to this program. Maybe add texture painting, more 3D file format support, and maybe some tools to help inspect a models geometry to help find problem areas and fix them.

Old 07 July 2013   #6
Thanks for replying, Vangald and Ihumungus. I wasn't expecting any more replies!

I have to say snap for using Blender for UV Mapping; it does it so well and, surprisingly, its the one part of Blender where the controls are easy to pick up and use. I've been using a game-pad to remap keys, but with the UV task, I'm very happy to use the defaults. I might map them to a separate profile as the keys are slightly too far apart...

It would be awesome to hear from other users.

Old 08 August 2013   #7
With all of the new features in ZBrush, Silo is of little use now for organic modeling.

I use it only if I need a quick simple model for a scene without much detail. I've opened Silo maybe ten times in the last six months. Mostly out of habit, not because it was the best choice.

Old 08 August 2013   #8
Cheers for posting, Blaine.

Old 08 August 2013   #9
No replacement for silo...

Actually I using Blender, has more feature, more stable and can handle heavy mesh (no problem with retopo). Is not Silo, has a different behaviour but is more fast compared to modo.

someone talk me very well about Nvil (exvoidworld)

Old 08 August 2013   #10
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread