Fantasy Ostrich Model

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2013
Fantasy Ostrich Model

So thought this isn't my first model I have made in Silo 2 it is one that I have put the most effort into. I have learned the most doing this model as well. I would appreciate a critique of what I have so far. I also have some questions I will save till after the jump.

Questions:

How can I see what the poly count of my model is?

What is the best way to approach doing folds around the eyes?

Thank you for your time!

07 July 2013
Scene Info from the editors/options menu will give you the poly count. Someone better skilled than myself will hopefully give you some pointers on modelling around the eyes.

07 July 2013
Thanks for the info. Also an update.

And yet another question. I would like to put this ostrich in a Unity game. What would be a good approach for modeling customization pieces? Like different types of feathers? In fact what would be the best way to approach modeling groups of feathers in general for a low poly model?

07 July 2013
The model looks good man! Make some planes (select parts of the wings, duplicate them and separate them outwards a little bit from the main structure) and texture them with the feathers (in unity you can use the transparent shader, but you may experience some z-buffer artifacts.. so better try with the 'cutout' shader... well you have to experiment).

Chocobo racing for the win?

Last edited by outburner : 07 July 2013 at 12:05 PM.

07 July 2013
Pulling more from the classic Joust. I want to make these guys customizable as far as feathers, talons, beaks, and crests.

I figure for the beaks and talons I can just layer them onto the original.

I want to use the method that will produce the least visual problems since I want the feathers to have some bendiness on the back and wing tips. Also tempted to make two layers of feathers. The under layer being a way to detect what sex the bird is.

I don't know my way around texturing and materials yet though. Would it be possible to do 2 materials on the feathers? Would like to do some fuzzy look for the really short feathers as well as on the bald bird.

07 July 2013
You can have as many materials as you want on a model in Unity... as far as you separate each mesh inside silo. Letme explain: Separate all the needed meshes in Silo and name them differently (eg. wing_L, beak, feather_lower... however you want) and export to OBJ, in Unity you'll be given the chance to browse the model pieces and assign materials.... BUT... there is another way and its much more optimized. You can try and use some of the more complex shaders in unity that combines specular, transparent and normal maps in one material...

Iportant: you can break apart pieces of your model to simulate hard edges or for different materials and Unity will display them correctly, so dont be afraid... you can check out my level design topic and see my cars which have hard edges made by breaking apart the surfaces and they look correctly in engine :P

Important2: if you forget to give different names to your meshes in Silo, when exporting to OBJ the groups with same names will be merged... be warned.

07 July 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread