New Official Silo Forum Home

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #46
Originally Posted by danylyon: Oh well.. this thread clears up a few things for me.
I was looking into Silo really liked the concept of a pure modeling app, exactly what I needed / liked.
But was very suprised how slow it is...

Can anyone recommend something similar? Maybe Wings3D?

Slow is not something that ever comes to mind when using Silo, in my experience. I've tried a whole mess of "low-end" modelers, and it was the best of them. IMHO, it was so easy to start using and getting things done. The others may have been more stable or had more features, but I still find myself coming back to Silo.

LH

Old 07 July 2013   #47
I would like to stay with Silo, but with no development going on I'm gradually moving over to Blender. The UV-mapping I at least do in Blender as unwrapping doesn't work in Silo...

For Nevercenter: You have customers willing to pay for upgrades so what is the difficulty? Just charge $159 for numbered releases and half that for point releases. Come now, if you really want Silo to be used in the industry by professionals then we need Silo upgraded on a slightly more frequent basis.

I am more than willing to recommend other people to buy Silo but it is difficult to do that if the software hasn't been updated in years. You have the product, the community that swears by it...

If you aren't going to do anything further with Silo, then at least do the decent thing and sell it to another 3D company such as NewTek or Pixologic, so that it can get the support it needs.

Seriously, just do SOMETHING with it!

Currently working on...HCR #42

Old 07 July 2013   #48
UVMapping works in silo. Not sure why you're having problems with it but that's one of the things that does work within the program.

Old 07 July 2013   #49
After creating the seams on the model and then unwrapping it, it does not create separate individual islands like it should do, but instead a single large island.

I thought it might have been just me doing something wrong, but after following so many tutorials and looking around for a solution on forums, I've noticed other Silo users having issues with the UV tools. I wondered if I could at least mark the seams in Silo, export in .Obj and then unwrap in Blender, as Silo is great for that job at least. Sadly, the .Obj format doesn't appear to support UV seam data...unless its one program not saving them or the other not loading them. Difficult to tell...

Old 07 July 2013   #50
Select the piece you want to unwrap > recreate UVs usnig XYZ coordinates > then mark your seams and > unwrap using LSCM (NOT 'recreate using lscm') >>> if you cant get it right like this, in the uv window either 3D or 2D you can go into face selection mode and double click on a seamed group of polygons and it will be selected as a separate piece (as if detached from the main model) this way you can >> double click a group of polys in face mode > hit unwrap using LSCM while only this piece is selected, or any other method and you're done WITHOUT having to break apart the piece from the model itself.

In the next post i'll show you a game model i'm working on that is made if 2 pieces and 18 textures... and it works well (even in engine).. letme make the screenshot :P

I hope i've been of some help.

Last edited by outburner : 07 July 2013 at 11:15 AM.

Old 07 July 2013   #51
Ok, here we go. Keep in mind, this is made ENTIRELY in Silo and its not shaded or lightmapped yet (unity takes care of the rest)... the model is made in 2 pieces, one all the grass, the other is all the streets.

I needed all the textures to tile: the grass needed to tile in all directions, so it was easy.
The streets needed to tile in one direction so it was more work to line up the UVs...

As you see below i lined up all the street surfaces one beside the other, to make it easier to manipulate each.... they could have been stacked on top of each other since i'm using separate textures for each, but it would make it very difficult for me to work on them... so i just used the numerical editor to ad 1 (or -1) to their x position (1 being the width of the UV space)

I'm very happy with silo... part of my idea was to show to myself (and you guys) that silo CAN do level design...

So far the pipeline for this game is: conceptualise with pen and paper, take the camera and go out to shoot skycubes, trees for sprites and all sorts of cracked asphalt, SILO for modeling and unwrapping, Photoshop for textures (DDS plugin for some tricks), CrazyBump for spec and normals, Blender for character animation ONLY and Unity for the game.

Thanks for looking and i hope to inspire you to give Silo a chance... its like being married... the more you look for a better woman, the more you realize that yours is the best

Old 07 July 2013   #52
Re: Outburner

Yeah, it was just going into face mode, double-clicking on just a single polygon that I was missing there.

Whilst I will still do the majority of seaming and UV mapping in Blender(its probably its best area), this gives me a lot more options in seam selection which is going to help a great deal when importing the model from Silo into Blender. On my last project which was the Harryhausen HMC, it was a bloody nightmare getting Blender to select the right edges along the back of the dinosaur which had lots of awkward fins sticking out, which Silo handled with such grace.

Anyway, thanks for the help as its always nice to get more mileage out of a long-serving application.

Old 07 July 2013   #53
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread