New Official Silo Forum Home

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2012   #31
Originally Posted by dawg: ok

i just dont want to believe there s nosolution for this..

I think you might have purchased a dead horse.

Old 09 September 2012   #32
migthbe we say its dead
however this dead horse still runs with ligthspeed compared with other programs for thoushands of their price

i dont want to bashing on programs, but its more than ridicolous some program cost thoushands and you get nowhere with.. (they are outstanding to model potatoes and blobs)

silo 159 or now 119 and you can model really everything.. it is not a commercial scam..its works really..
the crashes that so many complain,,,, simply dont cut but erase parts and rebuild of new faces..
theres nothing wrong

one thing shouldbe really improved and that is the socalled t-spline..
some folks find out what if they break the quads sacrifice,, and guess what it is working...

autodesk immediately purchased the whole company and firstly they cutted of solidwork support.. (what a nice manner, probably answer for dassault steps)

for rhino is working.. and imsure it can be implemented in silo too..
so no longer need to run an edge all the way aroundyou can stop edge in the middle of neighboor face edge..

well.. if no support,thats means just like in reallife... if you cant get help from ford place to fix your ford 150, then you going to fix yourself orask someone outs
that was easy..

Old 09 September 2012   #33
Silo comeback?

Sorry but when the Silo trio stopped responding to their Forum and pursued other Software projects the watering hole dried up. It feels like starting this Forum is just for cheap advertisement for dead Software.
I love Silo but the way it ended was a backhanded move.

Old 09 September 2012   #34
After a reply I got this message:
Quote: If the administrator has selected to moderate all posts in this forum, you will be taken back to the forum and your post will be displayed presently.

It seems so as my posting donŽt show up. IŽd better stay away from here then. Vain endeavour!

Bye!

Old 09 September 2012   #35

Silo is a good app and it can be great again, it just needs some love. I still use it but I'm getting more and more familiar with modo, so that may change.

Last edited by Teyon : 10 October 2012 at 06:16 PM.

Old 09 September 2012   #36
I used to be a silo guy through and through and even used it in some commercial work back in the day when it was released.

However, they simply ignored their user base and that pretty much is insulting. No matter how many people tell me its stable, I have first hand experience that it is not. No to the level of work that I used it for in a professional environment anyway.

I treat silo like the first season of firefly, hoping there will be a second season but knowing there never will be.

Old 09 September 2012   #37
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by jamchild: Hi guys,

Jamchild (Tom) from Nevercenter here. As we've posted over at silo3d.com, we've decided to archive the forum there and leave it up as a static resource and make this Silo forum on CGTalk the new official Silo forum. We think this will work out better since Silo is made to be used in a multi-software workflow, and since we're really not very good at running a forum ourselves (we're a company of introverts). I'll reiterate what Feed said on the old Silo forum - we love you guys and are really proud of the Silo community.

- Jamchild (and Feed and Presque)

Doublespeak for we think our Silo customers are idiot's. Amazing Oh well, sub-D for organic modeling is soon to join the dinosaurs anyway. I'd think that had more to do with this than "multi-software workflow".

Hugs and kisses. No, really, hugs and kisses.

Old 10 October 2012   #38
So sad! that application gave me home I even spent alot of time making custom interfaces for that app. I would share it with everyone I could and boast about how great it was. very sad.
Back to the more complicated apps I go.

if you don't have dreams and goals in life you must be dead already.

Old 10 October 2012   #39
Originally Posted by Teyon: ......

Silo is a good app and it can be great again, it just needs some love. I still use it but I'm getting more and more familiar with modo, so that may change.

Yeah, nice rewrite a month later. Anyways what is the new relationship between SmithMicro and NeverCenter? I noticed that SM is now selling Silo licenses.

Old 10 October 2012   #40
Perhaps someone needs to talk...

...to SM about the Silo user community. SmithMicro have worked wonders for Poser, which has gone from strength to strength. One could hope for the same outcome for Silo...

Old 11 November 2012   #41
Originally Posted by InfoCentral: Yeah, nice rewrite a month later. Anyways what is the new relationship between SmithMicro and NeverCenter? I noticed that SM is now selling Silo licenses.

Well, I didn't want to sound too negative. I mean, I DO still use the program. I just wish it would get some updates.

As far as I'm aware, we were just doing a one time deal. I could be wrong. They knew I still used silo daily, so they asked me to say the things I liked about it - which are still things I like - but that's as much as I know.

If I could get modo to work like silo - with the same approach to some things - I'd totally be using modo only. I just have not found a single app that handles things quite the way silo does. Fingers crossed that it breathes new life into the program or that we just up and buy it if Nevercenter is looking to sell...which I doubt.

Last edited by Teyon : 11 November 2012 at 01:09 PM.

Old 11 November 2012   #42
Originally Posted by Teyon: As far as I'm aware, we were just doing a one time deal. I could be wrong. They knew I still used silo daily, so they asked me to say the things I liked about it....
Huh? They? As in NC? Asked you to post here?

Old 11 November 2012   #43
Originally Posted by Veehoy: Huh? They? As in NC? Asked you to post here?

No, lol. They as in Smith Micro, asked me to say some things I liked about using silo for a promotion we were doing. It's really nothing that phenomenal. Just a few positives about the app. So I did and they used that, which was great. I just came here to change the less than positive tone I had back when I was all doom and gloom about the app. I still don't know if it will get an update ever again in my life time but I do still use it and words said in frustration just didn't have purpose anymore honestly.

That's all. Nothing to see here folks,lol.

Old 12 December 2012   #44
teyon, and all long time silo users..

i've downloaded clayoo for rhino... also the 90 day trial of rhino.. clayoo is a ""plugin""

i just let know everyone, if you all were not awared.. clayoo works exactly same way than silo3d..
well its price now is about 600.. and works only within rhino.. so rhino price be added..

it wouldnt be interesting.. however this shows theres a very strong interest on subdivision modeling.. and that also shows something clayoo works same way than silo.. (in my private opinion)

so development should kept going on..

best regard
viktor

Old 01 January 2013   #45
Oh well.. this thread clears up a few things for me.
I was looking into Silo really liked the concept of a pure modeling app, exactly what I needed / liked.
But was very suprised how slow it is...

I think they should either sell the codebase.. or even better make it OpenSource, if they have no more interest in mantaining it.

Can anyone recommend something similar? Maybe Wings3D?

Thread Closed share thread