CGTalk > More Forums > Click Here for: > Nevercenter Silo
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 08-21-2012, 04:49 PM   #16
luceric
Frequenter
No longer user this account
Canada

I'm sadden by this turn of event. I didn't even know this cgtalk forum existed. As one of the creators of the softimage XSI user interface, I've used Silo a bit in my spare time (unfortunately ran into some stability issues..) and I liked going to silo3d.com every week or so to see what's going on. (Not much in the last few month, however.)

The concept of a simplified Zen modeling app is an interesting idea incubator, even though the market for that sort of thing may not actually exist in reality. And there is certainly a point where going to the next step is a whole other level of complexity.

I think with the recent release of Pixar's OpenSubDiv, and the ease to integrate Autodesk FBX in any app, there was an opportunity to inject some updates into Silo without "jumping the shark".

It's ok to not see if it's worth to continue development.. I have told users when I stepped away from developing Softimage's built-in compositor.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:45 PM   #17
dawg
portfolio
Viktor
private
USA

i believe silo could stand on its feet..
i used -learned approximately 2 year another modeler program.. that was great.. however very restrictive on geometry..
despite it said everywhere easy to use, a lot harder to get geometry working with that..

im talking here about woodcarvings.. when i lay out with silo a carvings or other model, i have immediately all vector ready for outline, for locating toolpaths, i can slice models, or even dismantling limbs from a human model and make ready for milling..

years before when i started looking for this setup, the accessible programs were cost from 10K to up.. today i can make it with silo even i can find free cam..

what really missing here i think a more active own forum.. what just closed up..
just look for what dasch posted at last.. the next thing people using for that is rhino or other programs.. all of them cost several times more than silo..
so why this forum had to be closed...

i know exactly if it will not be restored, then a while later the ""archived"" forum will be shut down permanently """due to lack of interest""

im very sad..

and some question about this idea..
if someone goback to the archived forum, and find some tutorial or just some tip, that one canty ask on that specified topic..
so i think it also wont help ..

Last edited by dawg : 08-21-2012 at 10:48 PM.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:37 AM   #18
Cinnsealach
PRO

portfolio
Andy Kinsella
Manchester, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawg
im very sad..

and some question about this idea..
if someone goback to the archived forum, and find some tutorial or just some tip, that one canty ask on that specified topic..
so i think it also wont help ..

It is somewhat sad; Silo3d was usually my first port of call once settled at my desk; though it hasn't exactly been a hive of activity for a while.

You can post your questions here and hope someone is watching

Old 08-23-2012, 09:51 PM   #19
AbsorbentGhost
3ds max and maya
portfolio
Valentious Williams
Freelance airbrush artist
Saint Lucia

i just got silo,great stuff needs full tutorials like from digital tutors

don't make this go down the drain.Get some projects out there.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:53 PM   #20
Redcode
portfolio
Reginald Thomas Jr.
Thomas Creative Studio
Greensboro, USA

"...we're really not very good at running a forum ourselves..."?!? That's probably one of the stupidest comments I've ever heard! A forum practically runs itself driven by the community that is interested in the software. What I believe yoiu mean is that you're not very good at running a business.

Silo is without-a-doubt, one of the easiest to use 3D SDS modeling programs I have ever seen. Your lack of updates and support for this software in favor of your 'other' products seems to be a shame. I think you probably have a lack of understanding how to market your product. I came to Silo through EIAS (Electric Image Animation System). It seems you are cut from the same cloth as that company - great software, but poor updates/support for the product. People wonder why companies like Autodesk are making big money even with their expensive subscriptions? Because it's sometimes worth seeing a company take an interest in their own products and improve them over time.

Oh well, so ends an era.

Old 08-24-2012, 02:52 PM   #21
AbsorbentGhost
3ds max and maya
portfolio
Valentious Williams
Saint Lucia

well said redcode

really find silo a great program ,i can't seem to find any surport content,invest in a production tutorial.

Old 08-24-2012, 03:20 PM   #22
Redcode
portfolio
Reginald Thomas Jr.
Thomas Creative Studio
Greensboro, USA

I think they have support at Digital-Tutors.com for Silo. There were also a couple of DVD videos made.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:54 PM   #23
eworc
Lord of the posts
portfolio
W.E. Crowe
Systems Analyst
USA

Raising the bar on tone deafness since 2010.

Last edited by eworc : 08-24-2012 at 11:13 PM.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:00 AM   #24
Mahlikus
The Black

portfolio
Michael Hernandez
Chief Graphics Designer
SHS SISD
El Paso, USA

Send a message via ICQ to Mahlikus Send a message via AIM to Mahlikus Send a message via MSN to Mahlikus Send a message via Yahoo to Mahlikus
What's going on?! I never will...but I have an opinion....!

Last edited by Mahlikus : 08-27-2012 at 10:28 PM.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:21 AM   #25
AbsorbentGhost
3ds max and maya
portfolio
Valentious Williams
Saint Lucia

Lol

our Kardashians in this.LOL those girls can't seem to get a break.Some one say Paris?

Old 08-25-2012, 01:18 AM   #26
Veehoy
Newtek Doormat

Vidar H
Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamchild
SNIP.....(we're a company of introverts).

- Jamchild (and Feed and Presque)

Sign outside of a community hall:
Introverts club has been cancelled due to lack of attendance.

Does not bode well for your company

Old 08-27-2012, 09:42 AM   #27
outburner
psy cop

portfolio
clandestine studio
Crescent Island, Bulgaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnsealach
You can post your questions here and hope someone is watching

I know you will be my friend!

PS: i'm nuclear_winter

Old 08-28-2012, 09:05 AM   #28
teatimebing

As luc-Eric suggested, FBX and OpenSubdiv would be a more than welcome update. I would also like the Linux version of Silo to be released. Nevercenter talked about it, but nobody ever saw it.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:23 PM   #29
dawg
portfolio
Viktor
private
USA

great

so nuclearwinter became to beginner.. he never see silo or nevercenter..

i figured out i was under testing.. my first 2 post were invisible days long.. i was on the way to callingmy doctor if im wereok..
because i wrote to post, and it was lookalike ok
how ever i didnt find it.. probably national security checked me :-)

i really like someone start something and i can use again the original silo forum.. personally me, not against to pay something and get to working the original forum..
some representative voteing should show the real interesting.. means we have to know how many the potential user who really want to use the original forum..

on that forum were some separation between tips, general discussion, gallery and so on..

if we start to post here without organized threads it will be becomes very quickly a chaos..i post something question about subdividing triangles.. and others will answer 15 diffent things
like stretching bitmaps on tree shaped objects..

great.. im a simple guy.. and like simple things..

Old 08-28-2012, 01:31 PM   #30
dawg
portfolio
Viktor
private
USA

ok

im the latest guy in this circle.. and im just thinking always weird..
lets asking it straigth is anyone, or is there any law exist to prohibit nevercenter to hire someone to maintain the original forum?

i just dont want to believe there s nosolution for this..

Thread Closed share thread