Selecting faces from side on

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

12 December 2016
[SOLVED] Selecting faces from side on

Hi guys just a quickie.
I import a cube against an image
go to the side view

Is it possible to select the end face from the side instead of going to perspective mode all the time?

Thanks in advance

UPDATE:

To select the end face or anything for that matter you use SHIFT Middle Mouse Button and just draw a rectangle to select.

Last edited by foff44 : 12 December 2016 at 09:38 AM.

12 December 2016
MMB is select through - which selects everything under the box regardless of whether you can see it or not.

Holding shift adds to the current selection (which is what you have figured out). Shift-alt subtracts.

What if you want to select only an end face and no others from a side view?

Set the selection mode to vertices, MMB box select the vertices on the end, then press shift-d to convert to face selection.

12 December 2016
Originally Posted by Cinnsealach: MMB is select through - which selects everything under the box regardless of whether you can see it or not.

Holding shift adds to the current selection (which is what you have figured out). Shift-alt subtracts.

Set the selection mode to vertices, MMB box select the vertices on the end, then press shift-d to convert to face selection.

G'day Cinnsealach. Thanks for replying.
MMB is select through - which selects everything under the box regardless of whether you can see it or not.

This is pretty much what I wanted. I wanted to select a face that I couldn't see that it was on the end of an object.
I have the "Area Selection Options" set for Only Select Fully Enclosed
, If I have that unchecked anything the selection box touches gets selected.

I am modeling a simple spaceship from 2 images, a TOP and a SIDE, The engines are round and on the sides of the ship and have recesses in them,
So I bought in a circle , rotated it 90deg, and positioned it at the end of the engine.
Now I needed to extrude it along the image creating the recesses etc.

I selected Vertices (Because it was a circle) - Shift MMB - drew a box just on the end, and all of the Verts got selected and I was able to extrude along the image.

I practiced with a cube, set up 2 windows - Perspective and Front, bought in a cube - selected Faces - in the Front viewport I drew a box just enclosing the end of the cube and all of the faces on the end thaht could not be seen got selected, Whoo Hoo.

I do have a another selection question.
I want to make a Greebles plane.
In hexagon and I have seen it in Blender there is an option for random selection, Is this possible in Silo?

Thanks again

12 December 2016
I forgot about the area selection options :]

Unfortunately there is no way to randomise selection. Nor pattern selections (select every other face etc).

A shame there is no sdk as there was for silo v1x

reply share thread