Again, Silo UV mapping !

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

01 January 2018
Again, Silo UV mapping !

So I'm trying to unwrap this shape, I have all the seams marked then do Recreate Using LSCM Unwrapping and get this .
So I save as obj and move this object to Blender, I mark the seams and do the same, unwrap and get that .
- As I remember Blender is using LSCM too .
- Isn't Silo's LSCM the same as Blender's LSCM ?

So the question is, can we please Nevercenter get better unwrapping system with better algorithm?
Or maybe I do something wrong and the flow of unwrapping an object in Silo is different then in Blender or other software ...

01 January 2018
Hi Giakaama7, did you try to re-create UV's using XYZ co-ordinates before making your seams and unwrapping using lscm?

01 January 2018
Yes, the thing is that it feels the algorithm only do some unwrapping and some shapes are deformed, is not that optimized like in blender's case, or 3dcoat's algorithm .

01 January 2018
Giakaama7, can you post the model here so I can take a look at it?

02 February 2018
Originally Posted by iron-bear-xl: Giakaama7, can you post the model here so I can take a look at it?
It's not about only this particular model , it's about how Silo unwraps objects and if that unwrapping algorithm can be made better .

I've just seen this and I was WOW nice functionality
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy1vqLw-agk

02 February 2018
Silo would benefit from better UV tools. The existing ones are great once you get used to them, but try unwrapping a sphere to fit a panorama image

02 February 2018
I reallywish that Nevercenter guys implement the way to do UV's 3D Coat style. Even Maya in the last installment 2018 tried that . I reallywant from Silo, some UV tools that I should not think to use Blender's , or 3D Coat, or UV Layout for unwrapping and when try to compare unwrapping in Silo and Blender or UV Layout, the silo UV's are the best .

02 February 2018
Oh I hate that issue myself! Spent this afternoon UVing the Tardis for a mate...

If you use Blender you have awkward mesh-selecting tools with wonderful placement of UV islands. But with Silo its the reverse and you have excellent tools with lazy island-placement. It does seem a bit of an effort to bring 3DCoat in just to cover this one task, and so one goes with what they feel is the lesser of the two evils.

So yes, NC, better island placement please.

02 February 2018
Although Silos UV tools are lacking in comparison to 3DCoat (some advanced s*** over there) i love working in the 3D UV view, a million times simpler to understand and have fun. Just like papercraft!

02 February 2018
Agreed, it is fun and simple , but maybe, just maybe some better packing and better unwrap algorithm ?
Keep the flow, of marking seams and do a LSCM unwrap, or select faces and do a XYZ Coords . But the islands created should be better unwrapped and better packed .
Some tools are nice to have
- Rectangle Unwrap ( for pipes and cylinders )
- Relaxing an island holding the borders in place

What's great in 3D Coat is that you get real-time feedback, unwrapping and packing . The islands have different colors to see what is what. And have 3 algorithms for unwrapping . It's very intuitive .

02 February 2018
What could be implemented (if not very hard) is to unwrap proportionally, i mean that the uv pieces keep their size compared to one another.

02 February 2018
Originally Posted by outburner: What could be implemented (if not very hard) is to unwrap proportionally, i mean that the uv pieces keep their size compared to one another.
I think that it's already in Silo . "Scale UV Proportionally " .

02 February 2018
Originally Posted by Giakaama7: I think that it's already in Silo . "Scale UV Proportionally " .
true, but not between separate objects.

03 March 2018
In Silo's UVs/Materials menu, near the bottom there are 3 wonderful options:

- Arrange UVs In Bounds
- Scale UVs To Bounds
- Scale UVs Proportionally

They will help make life easier, especially the third one.

I just found these today myself. Why I never saw them before I dont know...

ps, I also see Im a little slow on the conversation about said tools. None the less, you can still use the options to quickly scale the islands for a piece to match and then manually eyeball it. I hve been manually eyeballing the whole thing so ... again...

Last edited by mattymanx : 03 March 2018 at 06:27 AM.

reply share thread