Bevel tool goes ka-BLOOEY!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

04 April 2017
Bevel tool goes ka-BLOOEY!

Hiya.

Anyone else have it where Silo suddenly decides to throw a Bevel out into the farther reaches of the UI-universe? For no reason? Permanently?

A few Silo sessions ago (weeks ago), I went to use the Bevel tool and it tossed out the edges into never-never land....so far that even hitting "Frame All" couldn't fit it into screen. Trying to reduce it the normal way (click/drag on the Bevel 'center point' in the workspace) is futile. Looking at the Object Properties shows X/Y/Z locations so far out there it has to use exponential notation (e.g., "5.427e+0.12m").

I suspect it could be a world/grid and measuring unit kerfluffle, but I don't want to go poking around messing everything up to what I need when making my models...then again, this could be one of those long-standing Silo bugs that will likely never get squashed. If it's both...then I need to re-adjust my working scale for all my models. This would suck. This would suck a lot as I need a standard size for a multitude of projects...which, btw, is

Units: Metric
Unit Scale: 100
Working Grid Width: 10m
Work Grid Spacing: 0.1m
Work Grid Heavy Step: 10

Anyone else have this wacky problem?

Paul L. Ming

05 May 2017
Haven't been here in a while or I would have replied sooner.

Yes, I ran into this problem once before. The only way I could get around it was to first undo the operation. Then I exported the objects into a separate obj. file, created a new Silo file and imported the saved .obj contents into it.

This is not an ideal solution, especially for large files. At the time it was the only thing I could to work. I haven't run into the problem since then. However, other similar issues have cropped up with other solutions being less drastic.

05 May 2017
Hiya!

No worries. I tried what you did...no difference. I ended up exporting my settings, uninstalling, deleting the folders, and reinstalling. Now everything's back to "normal", although I did mess up my UI a bit and am currently 'rebuilding' it...but that's good, actually, because I can now 'fix' things I messed up on when I didn't really know what my work flow was going to be with Silo.

In any case...problem solved. At least until it happens again...

Paul L. Ming

reply share thread