Silo 2.4 Beta!!!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

05 May 2017
Silo 2.4 Beta!!!

In the website of the nevercenter there is a beta version 2.4 of silo to download. Is he back?

05 May 2017
Version 2.4 Beta
- FBX and Collada support (for easier export to game engines like Unity and Unreal, making Steam mods, etc).
- An updated windowing system.
- Under-the-hood rewrites (to improve performance and stability).
- Bug Fixes.
Note: This version is STILL IN BETA; usual beta cautions/warnings/disclaimers apply.
- Download the beta here.

Last edited by outburner : 05 May 2017 at 08:47 AM.

05 May 2017
O_O >_< o_O

Er...this isn't a joke, right? I mean, I got an email that I immediately thought was suspicious. I double checked it. I downloaded via the link...after making sure it was going to the 'right' place. Even ran an extra virus scan on the DL'ed .zip file and extracted .exe file.

...I'm still in shock. I feel so confused! ...and so HAPPY!

Paul L. Ming

05 May 2017
Confirmed

Looks like it's real! Holy cow, and update!

05 May 2017
I'm actually happy about the inclusion of FBX export. That would save me extra steps in getting my models into Unity... but

The same object exported as OBJ works perfectly, as with all previous versions of silo.

Can any of you guys confirm or debunk my experience?

Thanks!

05 May 2017
FBX Import Export

Outburner, I was able to export and import a quick low poly I made in Silo in FBX format.

Then I went to TurboSquid and imported a random free FBX space station took a bit but no issue.

(If you make your file available I'll try to import it.)

However, the polycount caused a very noticeable performance hit to Silo.
Not too happy with that as I have a older but, solid workstation:

Dual Xeon 16 thread (E5620) system with 64GB ECC RAM and an 8GB Radeon RX 480 running
Windows 8.1 Pro.

Screenshot:

05 May 2017
Happy its actually working, i tried with a simple cube with some extrusions, very low poly. i didnt generate any uvs, maybe there is the problem (on the other hand when i saved to OBJ the model imported perfectly and looked as expected in Unity). Will try later.

Thanks for testing!

05 May 2017
Alt Scroll wheel

2.4.0 Beta B: I wanted to 'ZoomView In' with Alt Scroll Wheel but it's not working.
The Mouse Settings are the same as in 2.3

05 May 2017
Woot bug fixes!! Thanks folks!

05 May 2017
I hope there's a Mac version soon!

05 May 2017
Haven't used Silo for some time and don't know my serial #. How do I find it.

05 May 2017
I'm still getting the errors, even with models that work in unity when exported to OBJ, but not as FBX. DAE works with wrong orientation, but thats just a question of finding the right settings.

In Unity4 the importer errors out and doesn't import anything. In Unity5 the error says that there is no geometry but still imports the shape.

Anyone else?

05 May 2017
Their kickstarter project failed and they finally got to senses and maybe decide to give people what they want. Pitty it took them 10 years to made this obvious decision but if they deliver some real deal I may forgive them.

06 June 2017
Originally Posted by Wigand: 2.4.0 Beta B: I wanted to 'ZoomView In' with Alt Scroll Wheel but it's not working.
The Mouse Settings are the same as in 2.3

I'm having the same issue, which is a bummer, because muscle memory keeps making me try to use that function. I can Alt-click the wheel to zoom, but I'd prefer the wheel.

06 June 2017
Originally Posted by ElorOnceDark: I'm having the same issue, which is a bummer, because muscle memory keeps making me try to use that function. I can Alt-click the wheel to zoom, but I'd prefer the wheel.

It appears that none of the alt-modifiers work with the scroll wheel in this version.

reply share thread