Vertex operations

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

04 April 2015
Vertex operations

Hello,

Greetings to all.

I am absolutely new to Silo and have some questions about handling/manipulating verticies:

a) How can I connect two separate verticies and create a new edge?
b) Is there some vertex sliding possible?
c) How can I just create freely new verticies in an empty space?
d) Is there some functionality to distribute verticies evenly on a edge?

Thanks a lot to the community.

04 April 2015
a) How can I connect two separate verticies and create a new edge?
So there are two tools, Append Polygon, and Append Edge. Append Edge is the one you want.
Just select Append Edge, then click one vertex after the other. Right click to Confirm the command.

b) Is there some vertex sliding possible?
You can move a vertex along an axis, I have not found a way to 'slide' a vertex along an edge, but you can slide edges along a face.

c) How can I just create freely new verticies in an empty space?
I use the Append Edges tools here too, to create free paths. Making a single vertex does nothing, but two or more creates an edge or path of edges.

d) Is there some functionality to distribute verticies evenly on a edge?
You can remove all of them and use the Cut tool. Set the number of sections in the 'opt' dialog first then select the edge you want to distribute along and click Cut. If you select Edges in a line (loop) each will be cut. If you select them parallel, in a ring, you will make a new edge at the cut.

Hope this helps!

04 April 2015
You can slide a vertex by 1st selecting a neighboring vert (which determines the direction you want to slide in) and then select the actual vert you want to slide and use the distance field in the numerical editor (click and drag).

04 April 2015
Originally Posted by iron-bear-xl: You can slide a vertex by 1st selecting a neighboring vert (which determines the direction you want to slide in) and then select the actual vert you want to slide and use the distance field in the numerical editor (click and drag).

that is a nifty trick... its a bit of a 'long walk' to get there, but it works!

04 April 2015
Thanks, it works on edges too!

04 April 2015
Slide Verts, another method. Select an edge or two verts with the manipulator Auto Oriented to Normal then turn Auto Orient off. You can then select the vert you want to slide and the manipulator is aligned along the edge.

Binding these functions to hotkeys makes it quick enough to do.
(for those that don't know, simply hover over a menu item and press a key to assign it as a hotkey)

Feature Request: It would probably be helpful if the the Auto Orient Off function was a toggle so that when called again it returned to the previous state (or a user defined default)

04 April 2015
Sorry, I forgot about the snapping manipulator!

Select your vert with snapping manipulator active, grab the end handle of any axis and move the mouse to your target vert then drag on the arrow of the same axis. Simples.

04 April 2015
Excellent, thank you all! Really helpful.

reply share thread