Odd thing with newest version of Silo 2.5

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

1 Week Ago
Odd thing with newest version of Silo 2.5

I got the newest version of Silo. I was following John Fugazzi's tutorial, The Chest (from Renderosity). I had done this before with no problems. But...

I create the cube as directed, select the two top polygons, hit Extrude...and move the mouse to the Move Modifier tool...the cube starts extruding as the mouse moves! It never did that before and I have no idea how to stop it. When I undo, and go to the scale: All and input -0.9, the shape of the cube changes, rather than extruding the polygons inward toward the center. I don't know if this makes sense to anyone here if you haven't followed that tutorial. It is just not doing what it did in the past. I don't know what's going on or what I could be doing wrong.

Please help!

Dana

1 Week Ago
This describes behaviour I would like to have with the extrude function, but by holding Z down as it works with the the other functions like slide/inset bevel etc. I am sure extrude did used to function like this in early versions of Silo 2; but those days are long since and my memory may not be correct.

I'm not sure why this is happening to you, I can't find a setting or keyboard shortcut that would cause it to happen. I wish I could as would enable it for myself :]
Are you on Mac or Windows (windows here)?

I'm not familiar with the tutorial you mentioned. If you right click without moving your mouse, that will close the extrude/move and you can then hold down I to inset scale those faces (which is what I think you are trying to do). Actually you can just press Z the immediately hold I to inset scale.

I think previously you were undoing the entire extrude operation so it was scaling the original faces, not the extruded ones.

@Nevercenter - If you can make extrude move by holding the key down I would appreciate it.

1 Week Ago
The tutorial is for sale on Renderosity.com. I am on Windows 10 Pro. I hope I can overcome this, it's very early in the tutorial. With an older version of Silo I had gotten to nearly the end. The goal of the tutorial is making a pirate's treasure chest with a hinged lid. The point where this happens is right after creating the cube. The purpose of this action is to create the hollow of the box itself. Thanks for your reply!

Dana

reply share thread