reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 06-17-2016, 05:36 AM   #1
BernieB
Explorer
portfolio
Bernard Bunuan
Las Pinas City, Philippines

Getting back into Silo 3D

Hello. I'm going to try learning Silo 3D again. It's going to be a real struggle, because it doesn't render nor have deformer tools (which I just realized). The reason I want to re-learn this program is to approach modelling at its most basic aspects and learn problem-solving tricks that can be used at the basic level.

I have used this program to create 3D printable objects.I do have two other programs, but I won't mention them because this isn't the thread for that.

Old 06-19-2016, 09:35 AM   #2
makit3d
"Title Not Included"

portfolio
Richard Allen
USA

There are a few of us who still use it regularly if you should have questions. Hopefully we can help you out when you need it.

Old 06-21-2016, 02:49 AM   #3
BernieB
Explorer
portfolio
Bernard Bunuan

Thanks. The last time I tried this I jumped too deep into it. It's unfortunate that I had to lose the official manual to this program.Still I want to approach this software with a modelling mindset. My true objective is to make things for animation, So having a low poly count is preferable to wondering how I'll sculpt something with more detail.

Old 06-21-2016, 12:48 PM   #4
makit3d
"Title Not Included"

portfolio
Richard Allen
USA

If you need the Silo Help document I can email it to you.

Old 07-31-2016, 05:05 PM   #5
InfoCentral
PRO

Silo Modeling Book

Old 08-01-2016, 09:21 PM   #6
InfoCentral
PRO

Silo SALE

Silo on Steam is $12.79 for the next 21 hours

http://store.steampowered.com/app/1...1_620_4_1400_45

Old 10-05-2016, 09:19 AM   #8
BernieB
Explorer
portfolio
Bernard Bunuan

I knew I should have kept my copy of the Silo Manual but it added too much weight to my luggage.

My first questions has to do with creating a new point along an edge. I learned how to change the Object Axis and to how to use the Cut Tool and "Set Object Axis" command to assign it to a chosen point.

So what I want to know is:

1) Can I move a newly cut vertex along an edge? Can it be done without moving the position of the edges?

2) Can I freely move the Object Axis outside of the object without it being along any edges or assigned to a vertex? I realize this isn't needed in Silo 3D but I'm not sure if I learned to do this in Cinema 4D or not.

Update: Nevermind. I figured it out.

1) Yes, just move the vertex with the manipulator handle that points in the direction you want. I confused using the Move command with just using simple vertex selection.

2) Yes. Press "M" after selecting the vertex. It'll turn white and you can move it anywhere you desire. Press "M" to complete it. But I'm baffled why that's necessary in a modelling program. You could just adjust it in a good animation program if you want it to move around an outside pivot point.

Last edited by BernieB : 10-05-2016 at 11:26 AM.

Old 10-05-2016, 12:31 PM   #9
makit3d
"Title Not Included"

portfolio
Richard Allen
USA

Quote:
I'm baffled why that's necessary in a modelling program
I use it every time I model in Silo for various reasons but mostly for alignment or to change the rotation pivot point. As an example here is a post that uses it specifically for alignment.

Tips and Tricks

Here is a copy of the Silo help file in .pdf format: Silo Help

Last edited by makit3d : 10-05-2016 at 12:36 PM.

Old 10-05-2016, 02:06 PM   #10
BernieB
Explorer
portfolio
Bernard Bunuan

Quote:
Originally Posted by makit3d
I use it every time I model in Silo for various reasons but mostly for alignment or to change the rotation pivot point. As an example here is a post that uses it specifically for alignment.

Tips and Tricks

Here is a copy of the Silo help file in .pdf format: Silo Help

Thanks. I haven't made anything like that so far in Silo. It's mostly been single objects and box modelling via the mirror technique.

Old 10-06-2016, 04:06 AM   #11
makit3d
"Title Not Included"

portfolio
Richard Allen
USA

It wasn't until the last couple of years that I used Silo for more than testing its tools. The vast majority of my work is done in Silo and then imported to 3ds Max for UV work. I can model in Max but it feels very slow and cumbersome comparatively. When Max becomes the editor of choice is when the object that needs to be modeled is either too complex or would be too difficult in Silo.

An example of that was a rounded roof road tunnel with multiple sections that was needed for a game project. It had to slope down while curving in various ways. Add to that the necessity of a large amount of objects that needed to be arrayed in various ways, too, and it became apparent that Silo's tools were too lacking for the job. Otherwise, if you look at some of the portfolios of other Silo users, you will find some wonderfully complex and respectable work.

reply share thread