Perth, WA?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2009   #16
Thatd be fun to work on I rekon, you thinking for the next challenge or just an independent type thing?

Old 11 November 2009   #17
Mmmm, perhaps we should get together over a beer and discuss something. Would be good to work out what people would like to achieve and what skills are available etc.

Old 11 November 2009   #18
Quote: I really feel, that in order for perth to get some decent studios, we need to attract attention to the state.

Believe me this has been tried before and I really think this is only going to happen if a big studio like Animal Logic or an international studio powerhouse ( Dneg, MPC, Digital Domain) opens up a branch on the west coast because of tax incentives or something. Most isolated city with a very tiny talent pool doesn't immediately command attention.

Like your idea of banding together to work on a project, they are really fun and you can get a lot out of them. My only advice to you is to maybe focus on creating a shot rather than a whole short film. Its way more likely to get done and you can still really hone your skills and develop as an artist without committing to a long term project.

Old 11 November 2009   #19
Yeh that is a very good point, really wish one of the studios could open up a branch here.

Last edited by Shibalba : 01 January 2010 at 10:09 AM.

Old 11 November 2009   #20
Quote: How did you go about it? Did you relocate and then find work, or get offered a contract or what? Any advice on relocating/getting work overseas?

It took a while. I worked on a short film with some other perth peeps then decided I wanted to move to Vancouver so I moved home to Bunbury with my folks for a year and did nothing but work on my demo reel and learning a lot in the process. I got some great online mentors who i would show work to back and forth and finaly i moved with my buddy over to Van and started looking for work. It was really hard though. I hadn't graduated from a kick ass school like VFS nor was my reel too great and I didn't know anyone in town. I hit the networking events and met some people and got work after about 5 months of looking. Its been progressively getting better over the last 2 years and Im getting to the point where Its not so hard to line up work after each contract. Bottom line is to keep networking keep creating work and getting it out there and prepare for a bumpy ride.

Old 11 November 2009   #21
Awesome, thats really encouraging to hear.

Last edited by Shibalba : 01 January 2010 at 10:09 AM.

Old 11 November 2009   #22
Originally Posted by axiomatic: Mmmm, perhaps we should get together over a beer and discuss something. Would be good to work out what people would like to achieve and what skills are available etc.

Good Idea, lets get the ball rolling I rekon...

Old 11 November 2009   #23
yeah that was one thing I had in my favor. I was born here so it was just a matter of getting a Canadian passport and a Social Insurance Number and I was set. Cant give you much advice on immigration though I have friends of working visas which seemed easy to get and my other buddy is going through the hell of permanent residency.

Old 11 November 2009   #24
Lucky bastard, lol.

Last edited by Shibalba : 01 January 2010 at 10:10 AM.

Old 11 November 2009   #25
Yeah really want to emphasize to not get a ticket till your pretty sure you can score a job with your skill set. At least in Vancouver its overflowing with fresh artists looking for their lucky break.

Old 11 November 2009   #26

Let's blow this sht up

B-Movie

Old 11 November 2009   #27
hahaha HeadSmell, nice one. Nice work you make that I assume??

Last edited by Shibalba : 01 January 2010 at 10:10 AM.

Old 11 November 2009   #28
Quote: ...and also in an indie game dev group thats wrapping up a small indie game.

Online, or with guys in Perth?

Old 11 November 2009   #29
Originally Posted by R10k: Online, or with guys in Perth?

Group of guys here in perth, surprisingly.

Old 11 November 2009   #30
Are you on the Pigmi list?

Thread Closed share thread