CGTalk > Main > CGSociety Chapters > Australian Chapter
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 10-30-2009, 01:32 PM   #1
Greenham
Frequenter

Perth, WA?

Hey guys,

I would be interested to know if there is anyone from Perth, Western Australia about?

Greenham.

Hue variations in colour.
Saturation How much colour there is.
Value brightness.

Old 10-30-2009, 04:22 PM   #2
R10k
Expert

Yep, I'm in Perth. There are a few others I've seen around also.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:31 AM   #3
Greenham
Frequenter

Awesome.

Would you happen to know whether the other forum members are hobbyist, amateur artists or professional digital artists?

Personally, I'm a student who pursues digital art in my free time as a hobby.

I just want to get an indication of what the digital art "scene" is like in Perth, really.

Hue variations in colour.
Saturation How much colour there is.
Value brightness.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:37 AM   #4
R10k
Expert

Quote:
Would you happen to know whether the other forum members are hobbyist, amateur artists or professional digital artists?

I think most I've seen have been hobbyists, but it's hard to tell when people lack profiles, or simply aren't interested in telling the world what they do

Old 10-31-2009, 11:33 PM   #5
PorkpieSamurai
The PorkPie Samurai

portfolio
Chris Nichols
Vancouver, Canada

im from Perth. I studied and worked there before moving to Vancouver. I met some cool
people there who have gone on to work at awesome studios like Blur and Animal Logic and im at CIS working in film. Its hard to get established there which is why you need to move to launch your career in my opinion and the education institutions aren't too great either.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:55 AM   #6
HeadSmell
MoJo Monkey

portfolio
Alexander Lombardi
FX Artist
Vancouver, Canada

mmm lol i don't really think there's a digital art scene that I've seen

B-Movie

Old 11-01-2009, 02:36 PM   #7
R10k
Expert

Quote:
Its hard to get established there which is why you need to move to launch your career in my opinion and the education institutions aren't too great either.

I guess that depends on what your career is. The best digital education seems to be online these days, so... there are a few reasons why sticking around in Perth isn't a career killer.

Quote:
mmm lol i don't really think there's a digital art scene that I've seen

I've seen a few Lastpixel guys at the odd Siggraph meeting, talking about what they do... isn't that the scene?

Old 11-02-2009, 01:49 AM   #8
HeadSmell
MoJo Monkey

portfolio
Alexander Lombardi
FX Artist
Vancouver, Canada

yea,Greg our old project manager use to organize those a few years ago. I'm originally from California and use to go to the LA max user group meetings, it's a shame there isn't something like that round.

B-Movie

Old 11-02-2009, 05:15 PM   #9
PorkpieSamurai
The PorkPie Samurai

portfolio
Chris Nichols
Vancouver, Canada

Quote:
The best digital education seems to be online these days, so... there are a few reasons why sticking around in Perth isn't a career killer.

I cant vouche for online education but in my opinion the best thing about digital art schools in North America and the U.K is that 1. The lecturers and tutors actualy have a background in what they are teaching 2. The people you go to school with become your networking hookups for jobs after graduation and 3. The crediblity of your schools name will catch the attention of potential employers.

The only good thing I found living in Perth was the intense drive to get out of Perth.

Old 11-03-2009, 02:47 AM   #10
HeadSmell
MoJo Monkey

portfolio
Alexander Lombardi
FX Artist
Vancouver, Canada

Quote:
The only good thing I found living in Perth was the intense drive to get out of Perth.

true there isn't as much work as in the east coast, but Perth in general is one of the best city's I have ever lived in. Having lived in LA for 25 years I don't want to live any where else

B-Movie

Old 11-05-2009, 05:38 AM   #11
axiomatic
in process

portfolio
wil
happy
Beijing, China

I'm also from Perth, working as a digital artist.

I've been thinking lots about moving recently and have come to a couple of hesitant conclusions on the matter.

If you want to be in Film as part of a large studio working on vfx shots and that sort of thing then you need to leave here as soon as you've got enough skill/talent to support yourself. US, UK, even Sydney, doesn't matter too much but there simply isn't enough exposure to film workflows here. Even if you do land a job doing 3D on a feature it's not going to help as much as landing the same job for a larger studio ... which means elsewhere.

If, however, you're not into the big-team mentality of feature work then Perth can sustain you for much longer. With training available online and with some good people about you can learn a lot while (and this is most important) being involved at a creative level. In this way you can eventually earn a living here doing commercial work in many fields of digital art, or you can move on to other places with more reliability.

I'd like there to be more vfx orientated stuff happening in Perth. I'm lucky that I work with people everyday who understand the craft but it's rather depressing that so many other people in the industries that co-exist with post/vfx just don't understand it at all and seem to think that if you need something big you go over east.

It's changing ... but i wish it would hurry up.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:42 AM   #12
axiomatic
in process

portfolio
wil
happy
Beijing, China

p.s.
Maybe some of us should get together and work on a CG challenge ... next one starts in December

Old 11-05-2009, 09:49 AM   #13
HeadSmell
MoJo Monkey

portfolio
Alexander Lombardi
FX Artist
Vancouver, Canada

Quote:
Maybe some of us should get together and work on a CG challenge ... next one starts in December

I might be interested but i can get pretty crunched for time if a deadlline pops up. maybe about 10-15 hours in the month i can spare some up.

B-Movie

Old 11-05-2009, 06:08 PM   #14
Shibalba
Frequenter

portfolio
JD
Perth, Australia

Send a message via MSN to Shibalba
Hey guys, im from perth myself, know a few other 3D artists but not many. Personally im still very very new to the actual industry, finished my course early this year, and just wrapped up my first freelance contract the other day thru a company in mandurrah. From what I understand, the scene in WA is extremely small, especially in the entertainment side of things. It seems theres a lot of work in Architrectural Visualisation, Mining Simulations etc etc.

Last edited by Shibalba : 01-14-2010 at 10:11 AM.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:10 AM   #15
HeadSmell
MoJo Monkey

portfolio
Alexander Lombardi
FX Artist
Vancouver, Canada

I say we should start off with a HD animated matte painting with a small camera movement. with some explosions or fx shots in it

B-Movie

Thread Closed share thread