What, no Los Angeles chapter?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2009
Would there be any objections to getting highschool students interested in the LA chapter, such as spreading the word around through teachers and such? I think there's a lot of my fellow peers who would love to join you guys and learn.

Brian Choi's Portfolio - Currently looking for art internships!

Last edited by Pandaren117 : 05 May 2009 at 10:34 PM.

05 May 2009
I think as long as they society members, or CGtalk members, and active in design it should be fine.

- Evan

05 May 2009
Hey guys,

I think we may need to muster up a little more support and interest. If you are interested please at least post here, just to show your support. I am thinking of places to contact already, like studios and schools. I mean, within an hour from my house there is Scanline, Hydraulx, Gnomon, Pasadena AI, ILM is a bit north, and tons of others. There is great possibility.

Anyhow, please post if you are even interested and are from anywhere in CA.

- Evan

05 May 2009
Since my initial steps for getting the Chicago Chapter started, I am of the "Field of Dreams" philosophy...."Build it and they shall come!"

Good Luck. I want to see more US chapters! Don't leave Chicago hanging out by itself in the US.

--Cheers

05 May 2009
How local are we talking about? I'm a bit a ways south of the LA city itself, so a weekday trip there would say take about an hour or so.

05 May 2009
I am thinking about the member themselves living probably anywhere in California, Nevada, and maybe even some other nearby states. Since from San Diego and San Francisco to LA is around and 8 hour drive anyhow, and from Las Vegas to LA is about the same, I figure why not include Nevada as well.

But when we have events there would be hotels and things like that lined up, so a weekend trip is not too unreal.

- Evan

05 May 2009
Cool

id be interested in how it turns out. Im always at events out in LA anyhow. They are fun...

05 May 2009
Educational wise, how open are we going to be and how are we going to go about it? I try to read tutorials and what not, but often, it seems that its missing something, like why instead of HOW, which I really need, and can we talk to more of the professional people, like evanschaible, for personal guidance or tips?

05 May 2009
I'm interested. i plan on moving to la in one month and need to make contacts. i'll keep an eye on this thread to check the progress on the group. Thanks for getting this started.

05 May 2009
Well I received an email from the staff that said they were submitting my request to the person in charge who makes the decisions. That was about a week ago. I havent heard anything so I am not sure what they want me to do.

I cant imagine they would say no to all of us wanting to start a chapter, but hey, stranger things have happened.

05 May 2009
I would strongly recommend that you keep the Chapter limited in scope. LA itself will be a very large group, and if you start including SF, SD and Nevada then it will quickly become too large to manage. Start with LA, see how it progresses from there.

Evan, check your email

05 May 2009
whats in the email. keep us posted.

05 May 2009
I have to describe how we want to approach and execute the chapter. I have been swamped this last couple of weeks, and the load is just getting bigger so any help from you guys would be great.

1. Where could we host conferences, meetings (these are a bit easier) and other events.

2. What would be our focuses?

3. Who would sponsor the chapter? Univeristies, studios, businesses, etc? Places like Gnomon, maybe some of the local post houses, and art institutes.

We have to have everything together in order to start it. So maybe if we work together we can really pull this think in quick.

06 June 2009
I would like to suggest the Ontario Convention center. There's a convenient Marriott Hotel located nearby and it has a nice facility. Based on a previous trip there.

06 June 2009
^I'm sure somewhere free might be a better choice.

Thread Closed share thread