Becoming a Better Artist – Critical knowledge and techniques for today’s artists

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 12 December 2009   #31
Originally Posted by CrimsonDX: One small question. Will spaces be limited?

I'm told that the maximum number of students is somewhere in the 30's, and going over that limit would make it very hard to interact with all the students and critique class assignments.

Old 12 December 2009   #32
Originally Posted by Lunatique: Someone sent me a PM expressing his concern:

[/list]This is my reply:

Do you mean that you're only interested in learning perspective and nothing else?

If you are serious about being a digital 2D artist, then you absolutely must get a tablet--even if it's the cheapest Wacom product, it'll still be infinitely better than a mouse.

If you don't have any portfolio images, you could still take the course--the key is that you are willing to participate in the class assignments and try your best at improving and absorbing what the course has to offer.

I wouldn't worry about where I would place in the class--I'd only be concerned about whether I'm passionate and serious about becoming a good artist. As long as you're a half-way intelligent person who is passionate about art, you'd learn tons of stuff--many of which would most likely change your life as an artist.

I didn't know you used my pm for a quote.. Depending on when the class commences, I'd definitely like to be a part of it - it sounds brilliant!

I am glad it will not start until 2010, so that I will have a few months to get used to my tablet and work on perspective.

Originally Posted by Lunatique: C'mon guys, show some competitive spirit! (Friendly competition combined with camaraderie is always healthy.) You all should be gunning to be at the TOP of the class and aiming to KICKASS.

I will do my best.

Old 12 December 2009   #33
I'd like to be notified when the course goes out, too.

I don't know if I can do it or not, but I very much hope I can.

I'm especially interested in hearing how you first became a digital artist - I've had a few years of college in a couple different programs trying to figure out what courses I should take in order to do that. The last year and a half has been in Game Development, but half of it is programming (from what I hear from those who know more on the subject than me, very difficult programming - makes me feel better for having a hard time), and any more creative side that was taught largely felt like a joke. Right now I'm trying to figure out what I should do next in order to eventually be a concept artist that people will want to hire - I don't want to be stuck as a box artist in a company for years before doing anything I like, but I'm not sure if I realistically have to take that route.

I frankly don't know how to get from where I am to where I want to be - it looks like there's no real course I can take, other than generic art. I'd really like to hear how you go from someone with some talent in art but no professional experience to making a reliable living as a digital artist.

Old 12 December 2009   #34
Originally Posted by Pepperminta: I'd like to be notified when the course goes out, too.

Since you replied to this thread, you'll get notified when there's new replies (unless you have that turned off in your User Control Panel settings).

Originally Posted by Pepperminta: I'm especially interested in hearing how you first became a digital artist

I frankly don't know how to get from where I am to where I want to be - it looks like there's no real course I can take, other than generic art. I'd really like to hear how you go from someone with some talent in art but no professional experience to making a reliable living as a digital artist.

You can be self-taught or go to school--both works, as long as you are willing to work hard and be smart about it. Concept artists in the industry came from both self-taught and art school backgrounds.

There are tons of books, tutorials, online/live workshops, videos...etc out there (CGSociety, Gnomon, Massive Black) these days for people that want to teach themselves. For those who prefer to go to school, there are schools like Art Center in Pasadena, Gnomon School of Visual Arts in Los Angeles, Academy of Art University in San Francisco...etc. Even State universities like San Jose State have graduated excellent concept artists--I've hired quite a few of them as art director in the past. There are also schools like Ringling, Fullsail, and a few other well-known schools that teach game/animation.

The most important thing is to just keep at it. Your portfolio is your key to open the door and get your foot in. Simply study the works of concept artists you admire, study the artists that influenced them, expand your range of skills and knowledge, and don't give up. If one day you feel like your work has reach the level where it compares well to other professional concept artists, then you know it's time to apply for a job.

Old 12 December 2009   #35
Summer workshop?

I'm interested in doing this workshop. Do you have any plans for one starting in early summer? I'm rusty and it'll take me a few months to get back up to speed.

Old 12 December 2009   #36
Originally Posted by TetraLynx: I'm interested in doing this workshop. Do you have any plans for one starting in early summer? I'm rusty and it'll take me a few months to get back up to speed.

According to my current progress, I'm predicting I'd be done with the course material very soon. I'd be surprised if I'm still not done by the end of January (although I do keep on adding stuff as I think of them though--such as the new section I just added on reflective and illuminated highlights). After I hand over the material to CGSociety, it's up to them to fit my workshop into available opening slots. I don't know how far scheduled in advanced other workshops are for next year. Once the workshop goes live, any re-runs will only happen if enough people request for them, or that I'm available to do them.

Old 12 December 2009   #37
Originally Posted by Lunatique: According to my current progress, I'm predicting I'd be done with the course material very soon. I'd be surprised if I'm still not done by the end of January (although I do keep on adding stuff as I think of them though--such as the new section I just added on reflective and illuminated highlights). After I hand over the material to CGSociety, it's up to them to fit my workshop into available opening slots. I don't know how far scheduled in advanced other workshops are for next year. Once the workshop goes live, any re-runs will only happen if enough people request for them, or that I'm available to do them.

Good; that gives me more time to get better with drawing and using my tablet.

Old 12 December 2009   #38
I've subscribed to this thread so I look forward to when the workshop is announced. Hope I won't be traveling when this one is scheduled!

Old 12 December 2009   #39
I hope its not for a few more months, need the time to save up the money and practice more ^^;;

Old 12 December 2009   #40
Remember everyone, this workshop is not some kind of trial by fire, so relax. You can learn everything there is to learn in this workshop even if you only draw stick figures. The less you know, the more mind-blowing the course will be for you, since you will be learning things that will kick you in the groin and pop open your eyes in ways you never imagined. If you are intermediate or above, the course will still smack you upside the head and shake you by the shoulders, since there will be many things that make you go "AHA! So THAT'S why I always had problems in that area." People of different levels will get different things out of it, but everyone will get smacked around in one way or another (while with a grin on their faces), and the course will fundamentally change the way you approach your art (or at least that's what the goal is).

I may not be the most amazing artist compared to some of the superstars out there, but I know I've got some serious teaching chops, and I have a knack for being able to explain very complex and esoteric subjects in ways that even the average person off the street will be able to fully grasp. I didn't spend more than a year on the course material for nothing--I aim to really shake things up!

Old 01 January 2010   #41
Hi !

I'm higly interested in that workshop, and it will be a pleasure to learn all you can teach.

I'm subscribing to this thread and hope for more further informations !

Old 01 January 2010   #42
Congratulations on nearing the completion of the course materials! Sounds like quite the project and a lot of work.

Very interested in the class and subscribing to this thread for future updates.

Old 01 January 2010   #43
Very interesting, I reply to be subscribe and maybe to participate to the course at the come moment.

(flo allez arręte de lire tes mails c'est juste moi ^^)

Wildlife photography

Old 01 January 2010   #44
I'm in! It is mind-blowing that you spent over a year developing this class. Even more so are your works of art. They are truly inspiring.

Looking forward to this class.

Old 01 January 2010   #45
A little update for everyone. I'm now getting close to finishing the video portion, and I should be able to wrap up everything by the end of this month. I asked CGS what the current schedule looks like for CGWorkshops, and it looks like my workshop might be slotted for March (assuming I do finish everything well before then, and I'm pretty sure I would).

So, there you have it. It's likely to kick off in the beginning of March, but this is not written in stone, as we all know that life loves to throw us a curve ball now and then to keep us on our toes. If everything remains smooth sailing till then, I'll be seeing all of you in class when March rolls around the corner.

reply share thread