Becoming a Better Artist – Critical knowledge and techniques for today’s artists

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 11 November 2009   #16
Aerendyl - Even if you get the cheapest tablet (which won't set you back much at all) it will still kill any mouse any day.

hidus, Androsm - Sure thing. But since you guys already replied to this thread, you'll be notified when I update this thread with any news or additional information (as long as you have your settings set so that you'll get emails when there are new posts in threads you are subscribed to).

If you guys are in any way serious about taking this workshop, then I suggest you guys get cranking on your anatomy/figure studies, because even though the workshop does not require you to know anatomy/figure beforehand, you will have a clear advantage if you have done some studying on the subject on your own (crack open those Loomis books!) and can draw people that actually look somewhat like people instead of nightmare mutants.

Last edited by Lunatique : 11 November 2009 at 01:30 PM.

Old 11 November 2009   #17
Ok. Lunatique before i buy a tablet few fast questions:
1. How much will this cost?
2. Will this be trough the internet (I assume that it will be but i need to be 100% sure. )?
3. You saw how i draw. Is this really for me?

Thanks!

Old 11 November 2009   #18
Originally Posted by Aerendyl: Ok. Lunatique before i buy a tablet few fast questions:
1. How much will this cost?
2. Will this be trough the internet (I assume that it will be but i need to be 100% sure. )?
3. You saw how i draw. Is this really for me?

Thanks!

1) You can find all the information you need at Wacom's site: http://wacom.com/index.html

2) I assume you mean the workshop? CG Society have been hosting workshops here for years now, and I have never seen anyone say there's a problem doing it over the internet. In fact, it's very effective because everything is documented through forum postings, and you can go through the material in your free time.

3) Like already mentioned in the details about the workshop, it is for anyone who is missing the knowledge and skills mentioned in the details. If you see a bunch of stuff in those details that you don't know, then it's definitely for you.

Old 11 November 2009   #19
This is awesome. I can't wait!

My Sketchbook

DSF

Old 11 November 2009   #20
Originally Posted by Lunatique: 1) You can find all the information you need at Wacom's site: http://wacom.com/index.html

2) I assume you mean the workshop? CG Society have been hosting workshops here for years now, and I have never seen anyone say there's a problem doing it over the internet. In fact, it's very effective because everything is documented through forum postings, and you can go through the material in your free time.

3) Like already mentioned in the details about the workshop, it is for anyone who is missing the knowledge and skills mentioned in the details. If you see a bunch of stuff in those details that you don't know, then it's definitely for you.

Hehe, thanks but i meant this:
1) How much will this workshop cost? EDIT: ah i see now the price - 500$
2) I asked if is over the internet because that is very good. I live in Croatia and i cannot go to USA for a workshop.
3) Ok, will read everything and see.

P.S. Is the same to draw on the tablet or on a paper?

P.S.2. I would like to take this but i think that i am still not ready. Will you have this workshop only once or?

Last edited by Berax0r : 11 November 2009 at 04:50 PM.

Old 11 November 2009   #21
Aerendyl - The tablet is not exactly the same as paper, but it's the closest thing to paper and far better than the mouse. It's really your only option when working digitally, so it's not like you have a choice anyway.

The workshops might repeat, depending on if enough people request for it, or that I have time to repeat it. You still have a few months to get up to speed since the workshop probably won't go live until early to mid 2010 anyway. Also, I really don't think there's such a thing as not being ready for this particular workshop, since it's designed to cater to all different levels, and you're not required to be at a certain level before you take the course.

Old 11 November 2009   #22
I see. I must though something different when i read this: " So if your only interest is basic anatomy/figure and absolutely nothing else, then this workshop is not for you." I am interesed in basics, and after that also

Maybe the biggest problem then is money because i don't have very much. I will try to get some till 2010

Old 11 November 2009   #23
Originally Posted by Aerendyl: I see. I must though something different when i read this: " So if your only interest is basic anatomy/figure and absolutely nothing else, then this workshop is not for you." I am interesed in basics, and after that also

Maybe the biggest problem then is money because i don't have very much. I will try to get some till 2010

I should elaborate on that point then, since I don't want anyone to misunderstand what I meant. This is the edited version of the above--hopefully it explains things more clearly:

So if your only interest is basic anatomy/figure and absolutely nothing else (drawing/painting techniques, composition, color, lighting, stylization, aesthetics, expressive characters, creative approaches, flexible and powerful workflows, visual narrative, career path questions...etc) then this workshop is not for you. Although this workshop does not cover basic anatomy/figure, it does dive deeply into expressive characters, aesthetics, stylization...etc, which are advanced concepts of anatomy/figure, and those will impact your growth as an artist more than basic anatomy/figure, because they are what will separate you from being merely competent to being creatively authoritative. You do not need to have mastered anatomy/figure to learn about these advanced concepts. You should think of these advanced concepts as knowledge that will make it much easier for you to not only master anatomy/figure when you study them, but also aid you in developing your own expressive styles.

$500 is not cheap for some people, that's one of the reasons why I crammed the workshop full of the most helpful content I can think of, squeezing every last drop out of my brain and raking through every inch of my past experiences and valuable lessons I've learned. I wanted to make sure the students at the end of the workshop will feel that the experience was worth every penny and more. If the workshop catches on and becomes popular, then it's very likely it will repeat in the future when people continue to request for it.

Old 12 December 2009   #24
I've been wanting to do cgtalk workshops before, and reading all of the above makes me want to follow this workshop really badly as well. 500USD is indeed a lot of money (it's 4 times as much as what I pay for 10 months of life drawing at 10hrs per week), particularly because I will be unemployed by then and I have 3 kids to feed.

However, I am seriously thinking of this because I see my near-future-unemployment as a chance to finally dig in and prepare myself for a career in the art sector (I will try to avoid having to go back to corporate business at any cost really). Why? Simply because I will have time to paint, something a lot of us hobbyists or enthousiasts lack.

I know from fellow cgtalkers that previous workshops were excellent and very rewarding.

So I am anxiously looking forward to the official workshop's "opening to enrolement" announcement. (personally, sometime in 2010 would be perfect for me)
All I gotta do now is convince the wife

Thanks for sharing this and for your efforts so far Robert!

Last edited by NR43 : 12 December 2009 at 07:29 AM.

Old 12 December 2009   #25
As a new starting artist this course sounds perfect for me. I am only just barely above stick figures, but hopefully I will have increased in skill enough before the workshop actually opens to be able to submit a proper portfolio and meet the ideal minimums. Luckily I already have a tablet that I got as a Christmas gift last year (6x11 intuos3 w00t)

Old 12 December 2009   #26
keep me posted

Hi, I'm interested in this workshop. I got a small wacom tablet (6" x 8") but don't know how to use it yet. I'm assuming this tablet is big enough for the class.

Old 12 December 2009   #27
Originally Posted by girl3D: Hi, I'm interested in this workshop. I got a small wacom tablet (6" x 8") but don't know how to use it yet. I'm assuming this tablet is big enough for the class.

Definitely. 6x8 is the most common size tablet used. 99% of pros I know use that size, including myself.

Old 12 December 2009   #28
Hmm, sounds very tempting...
I have some concerns about whether my current art skills are good enough (they are pretty rudimentary, and I'm rusty too), but if the course isn't going to happen for a few months, then I guess I've got some time to put in a bit of practice.

If I can generate three portfolio images that I'm not too embarrassed to share, then I think I'll sign up...

Please keep me in the loop.

Cheers - Steve

Old 12 December 2009   #29
astrofish
Create 12 or 15 images and then pick the best 3

Old 12 December 2009   #30
One small question. Will spaces be limited?

reply share thread