CG Artists: Nerds with a creative side or Artists with a geeky side?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2003   #1
Talking CG Artists: Nerds with a creative side or Artists with a geeky side?

I've always run into this dilemma while talking to other CG people. I'm really a middle-ground, I've been using computers as much as I've been an artist, so it's really hard to classify me, but most other artists I know are either artists who are computer-savvy or nerds with an artistic spark.

What do you think?

XSI since Aug 10,2003, Max since June 1st,2002, Photoshop since 1998, Flash since 1995.
Respect:Johan Thorngren Paul Debevec Ed Harriss Neil Blevins Nik Clark George Saliba DeathBrain
Resources:CGTalk 3DBuzz XSIBase MaxForums Spiraloid 3D Palace CG Channel InsideCG

Old 08 August 2003   #2
"Computer Geeks" and Artists are both creative. I always use the example of John Romero and John Carmack of ID. Romero is an artist of design. He pulls together great creatures and levels while making the tools to do the job. Carmack is a programming artist. He can come up with creative ways of handling graphics that is outside the realm of what most programmers can think of. They're both creative geniuses, and in my opinon, both artists, regardless of the fact that Romero is a gaming super-freak and Carmack is a programming zealot.

So just tell 'em you're an artist and be done with it.

Old 08 August 2003   #3
From what I've seen, the most talented CG people are the ones who are artists first and computer enthusiasts second. For example, the ones who are able to draw and/or paint well are usually able to transfer their artistic abilities to a computer screen as well. Pure geeks, on the other hand, learn the app very quickly, but never really create anything with high artistic value. Imho, of coarse.

Old 08 August 2003   #4
i really dislike the generalised status of being called a "nerd"

Everything has a name, why cant people just use it, unsted of making it sound like a 3rd class use, they are all generalised, and it shits me, but... "artists" have their place, Yes, but sadly enough these days, its becoming the state of "You Use a Computer?... NERD", well well well. As the use of CG is more widly used in todays society,

meh, i imagine that you understand my frustration in this subject,

but i agree with what has been said so far....

TyR-

Old 08 August 2003   #5
Well, a geek and a nerd are two different things :P. A nerd is someone who's really into computers and has an affection for some sort of sci-fi and/or Linux. A geek is usually a Windows guy who likes computers but isn't too proficient with the hardware side of them. At a party, the geek would be more likely to talk to other people and have fun while the nerd would be sitting home and bitching and whining about people rejecting him .

And I share the exact same feeling, just recently I wrote in my articles "seems like everyone who wears glasses and knows how to use a computer is considered a NERD." It pisses me off because people who call me a NERD really don't understand that I'm not a childish guy who likes sci-fi (I hate SW/ST/B5) and Linux and cares about system specs and is on IM all day. I'm not saying I'm a superstar, but by far I'm not a nerd, I'm rather a geek with a more or less LIFE .

People who call others a nerd/geek and don't use a computer should be taken with an intravenous dose of salt. Mainstream people have absolutely no clue as to the workings of digital society.

XSI since Aug 10,2003, Max since June 1st,2002, Photoshop since 1998, Flash since 1995.
Respect:Johan Thorngren Paul Debevec Ed Harriss Neil Blevins Nik Clark George Saliba DeathBrain
Resources:CGTalk 3DBuzz XSIBase MaxForums Spiraloid 3D Palace CG Channel InsideCG

Old 08 August 2003   #6
Well it depends on what position you're talking about. Someone whose working with particles or writing MEL scripts or plug-ins is gonna be different from a modeler or texture artist.

I imagine a lot of CG artists grew up with both computers and drawing. For a lot of people it's a double bonus to combine art and computers.

There aren't a whole lot of pure artists who get into CG, and those who do have to tackle a huge learning curve to grapple with the software. There are however TONS of non-artistic people who try to get into CG and quickly find out their lack of artistic talent is a huge barrier to success.

And Tyrinid, get some geek/nerd pride!

Old 08 August 2003   #7
I don't think many people share your definition of geek/nerd, especially not such a specific one. Why does ThinkGeek.com seems to cater just as well to nerds, perhaps even more so to than your definition of geek. They're synonymous to me.

Old 08 August 2003   #8
I'm with Wigaru, I don't think your definition holds much merit, nerd/geek can be exchanged freely. Your definition means that many of the "nerds" in Revenge of the Nerds are not actually "nerds", they are clearly "geeks" therefore proving that hollywood is fallible, and destroying the world and all of humanity. Really though, spending so much energy disecting old put- downs and categorizing their particulars in order to hone a well thought out existence is no way to go through life... unless your a "dork".

On a VFX Hiatus

Old 08 August 2003   #9
Everyone knows that Nerds are between 5'2" and 5'9" and Geeks are 5'9" to 6'4". If any of these people have unkempt hair and messy closets they are artists.

Old 08 August 2003   #10
In order to be a CG artist that's any good, you MUST be both a computer geek and an artist, in fairly equal amounts. That sort of person is a rare and bizarre breed. It's hard to say which comes first-- but I think in most cases, if a CG artist is GOOD... then they're an artist with a geek streak. On the other hand, a programmer that understands the CG programs, and can toy with occasional images with them, is a nerd with a creative side... and that's just how they naturally fall into place.

I think a lot of artists around here would not necessarily consider themselves computer geeks, but they'd be dead wrong-- if you know what a forum is, and can use the darn thing without getting terminally discouraged in 'what's this button do? what's a thread? where am I?' no-man's-land... you're a computer geek. Plain and simple, and fancy shmancy definitions aside. To say nothing about the freeeky and insanely complex programs we use.

Generally speaking, I agree with Wigaru-- there are a LOT of people who are truly just computer geeks that try to dabble in art, and can learn the programs, but can't really do much with it. I think they comprise most of the constant influx of vanishing noobs who come and go all the time. Those aren't nerds with creative sides... they're um.... well, they just don't count.

At siggraph I met a programming wizard who can't draw more than a stick figure to save his life, and yet who had the keenest artistic eye I've ever witnessed. I don't understand enough about programming to even comprehend anything he's done in his field, but I'm positive he must be a heck of an artist within it. Of course, that statement leads us down the 'well what's an artist anyway?' debate hall again, and erilaz sortof made this point once already... but there it is.

Old 08 August 2003   #11
From www.dictionary.com :

"geeky adj.

Our Living Language Our word geek is now chiefly associated with student and computer slang; one probably thinks first of a computer geek. In origin, however, it is one of the words American English borrowed from the vocabulary of the circus, which was a much more significant source of entertainment in the United States in the 19th and early 20th century than it is now. Large numbers of traveling circuses left a cultural legacy in various and sometimes unexpected ways. For example, Superman and other comic book superheroes owe much of their look to circus acrobats, who were similarly costumed in capes and tights. The circus sideshow is the source of the word geek, “a performer who engaged in bizarre acts, such as biting the head off a live chicken.” We also owe the word ballyhoo to the circus; its ultimate origin is unknown, but in the late 1800s it referred to a flamboyant free musical performance conducted outside a circus with the goal of luring customers to buy tickets to the inside shows. Other words and expressions with circus origins include bandwagon (coined by P.T. Barnum in 1855) and Siamese twin."

and

"nerdy adj.

Word History: The word nerd, undefined but illustrated, first appeared in 1950 in Dr. Seuss's If I Ran the Zoo: “And then, just to show them, I'll sail to Ka-Troo And Bring Back an It-Kutch a Preep and a Proo A Nerkle a Nerd and a Seersucker, too!” (The nerd is a small humanoid creature looking comically angry, like a thin, cross Chester A. Arthur.) Nerd next appears, with a gloss, in the February 10, 1957, issue of the Glasgow, Scotland, Sunday Mail in a regular column entitled “ABC for SQUARES”: “Nerda square, any explanation needed?” Many of the terms defined in this “ABC” are unmistakable Americanisms, such as hep, ick, and jazzy, as is the gloss “square,” the current meaning of nerd. The third appearance of nerd in print is back in the United States in 1970 in Current Slang: “Nurd [sic], someone with objectionable habits or traits.... An uninteresting person, a ‘dud.’” Authorities disagree on whether the two nerdsDr. Seuss's small creature and the teenage slang term in the Glasgow Sunday Mailare the same word. Some experts claim there is no semantic connection and the identity of the words is fortuitous. Others maintain that Dr. Seuss is the true originator of nerd and that the word nerd (“comically unpleasant creature”) was picked up by the five- and six-year-olds of 1950 and passed on to their older siblings, who by 1957, as teenagers, had restricted and specified the meaning to the most comically obnoxious creature of their own class, a “square.”"

Just for your info...

Old 08 August 2003   #12
ha, this same discussion came up on a synthesizer forum that i frequent. although there it was simply titled "are we nerds?"

Old 08 August 2003   #13
Spending 24hours/7 behind a computer because you love it / fan of it makes you be a nerd or a geek ?

Old 08 August 2003   #14
Quote: Originally posted by Gnarly Cranium
Generally speaking, I agree with Wigaru-- there are a LOT of people who are truly just computer geeks that try to dabble in art, and can learn the programs, but can't really do much with it. I think they comprise most of the constant influx of vanishing noobs who come and go all the time. Those aren't nerds with creative sides... they're um.... well, they just don't count.

Hm. Unfortunately, so far I seem to fall into that category.

What the heck kind of thread is this anyway?? :annoyed:

I think all the people out there who who have a computer sitting on a desk at home and don't know much more than how to press the power button are geeks. Does anyone stick something in the microwave and not know how to cook it? No - you learn. It takes quite a bit of effort to learn something new. I think accountants are nerds. Nothing is more boring than listening to 2 accountants talk about their work.

Seriously though, I am quite aware of the fact that I fall into the geek category, although no one would know it from my life away from the computer (yes, I have one). Besides, how many CGers love music and play some kind of instrument? It's our creative side that drives us, artists and programmers alike. I think we are the damn coolest people out there

(aside from the fact that we are nerds and geeks)

Old 08 August 2003   #15
Quote: Originally posted by Max_Power
Everyone knows that Nerds are between 5'2" and 5'9" and Geeks are 5'9" to 6'4". If any of these people have unkempt hair and messy closets they are artists.

I'm 6'2", occasionally have my hair cut and laundry done every week . I'll be shallow and say that nerds care more about school/puters than geeks.

A geek, I think, is someone with a strong renaissance interest. CG people are geeks because they know CG. The only way people in the computer industry can't be geeks or nerds is if they didn't know anything and dropped ot of high school

Thread Closed share thread