Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 09-11-2008, 02:05 PM   #31
pedes
portfolio
Joanna Piechowiak
Poznan, Poland

Send a message via MSN to pedes Send a message via Yahoo to pedes
Hmm, there was a question about tutorials here.

I am also self-teaching artist and I think that if you have no formal training tutorials are VERY important. Of course you can find a lot of them from basic color theory to simple WIPs. I can say that sometimes reading one tutorial may be an equivalent to hours of praciticing. But you have to get into the core of what it says, not copy steps. If you are self-taught then you have to be most strickt teacher for yourself and try hard. As i was said, learning is not only practice it's analysing and thinking.

On the other hand too much tutorials may do some harm too. I've realized recently that one of my problems with colors in digital painting is that I subconciously trying to adjust to some techniques I read about even though they are not what I feel comfortable with or want to use.

When you master the basics enough and start experimenting you may have situations, when you suddently realize you improved fast over a short period of time, even though before you seemed not to improve at all. It's because you've learned how to learn and improve faster. But then you'll realize how much there is to learn and...

Well, as it was said, it's pretty much about the drive. From what I can see from other forum, many artists have the time when they feel terrible about their work and want to quit/throw everything out the window. The more effort you put in it the more it is likely to happen. Lot of people DO quit when it happens first time. But the drive is what keeps you getting back to it, no matter the problems.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:03 PM   #32
hidus
Veteran

portfolio
Sidharth G
India

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedes
"On the other hand too much tutorials may do some harm too. I've realized recently that one of my problems with colors in digital painting is that I subconciously trying to adjust to some techniques I read about even though they are not what I feel comfortable with or want to use."

ya sometimes tuts may confuse us...but it shows some new aproach which we never thought of.Its for us to decide what suits our needs..maybe we should make our own style some day .I am finding Tuts here very helpful..as i am new to photoshop painting.

And no matter how bad my drawing goes,i preserve them in a large file with a large label "HIGHLY CONFIDENTIAL"they are never meant to be in my thrash can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatique
I removed the image to keep this thread more streamlined. Can you go ahead and post your image in a separate thread by itself so we can help you in that thread? Thanks.

i started a new thread,
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...?f=177&t=674294

cheers!

Old 09-22-2008, 06:11 PM   #33
kevline
Veteran
portfolio
Kévin Le Pape
ILOI
Le port, Reunion

Send a message via MSN to kevline
I'm agree with lunatique when he said practice smart.
In my little experience, I prefer practice when I want or I need, you know when you enjoy it, and not to practice all time just to practice and do only bad things. If I see i'm not very concentrate, i stop and i come back later or another day.
I see that like music, i play drums so need to practice a lot for independant, coordination, endurance, rythm, speed, etc... In drum it's better to not training if you don't want or if you haven't motivation. Because when you play with this bad feeling, your playing become bad, you quickly take on bad habits, and therefore we must go back and correct it.
In my opinion, I see drawing or anything like that, but sometimes I need to put a kick in my but* and not to fall in the laziness.
Very good thread here

Last edited by kevline : 09-22-2008 at 09:15 PM.

Old 10-05-2008, 04:46 AM   #34
nahcra
portfolio
Archan Khadka
3d Compositor and vfx +fx
VIRTUAL SCOPE
San Francisco, USA

Send a message via MSN to nahcra
Talking Practice is not only a solution

Practice is not only a solution while practicing we also have to store in our mind.While reading the tutorials also .We just look and practice it and we don't save in our mind .So i feel pratice and storing in mind is muc neccessary .ANd one thing while practicing we have to concentrate in our work .orelse it will be putting water in the sand.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:43 AM   #35
pedes
portfolio
Joanna Piechowiak
Poznan, Poland

Send a message via MSN to pedes Send a message via Yahoo to pedes
Well, carefully observing the world is also part of the practice. Each day you can learn something new. Seeing interesting object, person, lightning, try to analyze and rememer it. Sometimes 15 minutes of carefully studying something may have better effects than 5 hours worth of drawing wihtout the analyze, repeating the same mistakes.

Old 10-05-2008, 05:29 PM   #36
M31
I think, therefore I am

portfolio
Erin Munkacsy
Chicago, USA

This is a great thread! Thank you for the helpful advice, Lunatique, and for pointing out MindCandyMan's thread. It is encouraging to see how much he has improved.

Unfortunately, I have not enjoyed drawing in years, since I took some classes and my understanding of art exceeded my ability to create it. It is very painful for me to produce what I know to be rubbish, yet it is far more painful for me to not create. I am hoping that once I move from conscious incompetence to conscious competence, my enjoyment in art can be refound.

I have produced many drawings, including copies of the masters, without seeing much improvement. I believe it is because I am reasonably good at copying what I see, while I was not being mindful enough as to why the masters drew as they did. Thank you for pointing that out, Lunatique, you may have saved me from another fruitless period of spinning my wheels!

I am trying to practice my drawing regularly, and those that I don't delete I shall post in my anatomy sketchbook thread. I am very grateful for any comments, crits, recommendations!

Leonardo da Vinci - "The supreme misfortune is when theory outstrips performance."

Old 10-09-2008, 10:42 PM   #37
alicelefay
Know-it-All

portfolio
Alice Agostini
Italy

Send a message via MSN to alicelefay
what to say...thank you for this thread, it gave me the right motivation and strenght to start my "improvement thread":
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...006#post5426006

Thank you Rob for your words...you are the first person who made me thought that MAYBE I needed some organisation in my work...that MAYBE I was practising in the wrong way....lol!!

Thank you so much for sharing all this thoughts!!!

Old 10-23-2008, 06:29 AM   #38
ranaazeem
Infected!

portfolio
Azeem Rana
CEO
The Missing frames
Lahore, Pakistan

Send a message via MSN to ranaazeem
well...
i did not read all of the above posts. and i would not comment much about learning different tools and all, because sooner or later i will learn them all (regardless of the fact that other people learned them much sooner than me) . i will concentrate on the work that i want to produce or do. what i have in my mind or imagination. thinking this way or all the time thinking about the character(for example) i want to model or paint. i`ll automatically always be thinking about how i will do it(tools or process). it makes the process easier because may be i knew the process or tools to do that task but i was not implementing it because i thought i would not be able to do so.
so when i see other people work so beautifully done and such freedom of design and concept i see in their work. it makes my hand and mind go crazy and i feel free and powerful(not to mention the greatest help by the description that other users give on how they did the particular image or model, it sometimes opens up possibilities and gives you hint about how you can use something in YOUR IMAGE, that YOU want to do).
so instead of searching and seeing every tutorial i see out there.
i concentrate on searching for the particular problem i am having on the current image that i am working on( for example today!, i am searching help on how to make realistic cloth material, BECAUSE these days i am working on a model and the next thing THAT I DO NOT KNOW MUCH ABOUT AND WANT HELP ON! is cloth shader development).
so if you are not improving in painting, try to figure out or ask other painters that what is the first problem you have. is it your hand?, not going along your brain?. i mean straight lines and all. is it the sense of light?. prospective?. you name it!
so according to me!. this is how it goes.
this is all my personal experience as a junior and i thought may be it will help you too.
regards!
Azeem

Old 11-15-2008, 03:30 AM   #39
pckhoi
Veteran
portfolio
Phạm Cao Khôi
Da Nang, Vietnam

Send a message via Yahoo to pckhoi
Thanks you for making such a nice thread. It unlocked my head. I'm still wondering about this: How do I know if I practice the right way? Does my drawing have to show some kind of improvement or is it okay even if it looks worse somehow?

Old 11-15-2008, 04:34 AM   #40
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

I think it'll be pretty obvious that you are improving because simply by reading about foundation theories, you've already gain more advanced understanding that brings the overall view of your path into sharper focus and detail. Gaining additional knowledge can only be beneficial, and how you incorporate that knowledge into your practice sessions will determine how fast you improve. Either way, as long as you are being smart and practical about the way you learn, you can only get better, not worse.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:40 PM   #41
fionabus
Taken by Trees

portfolio
Fiona Meng
Toronto, Canada

We all know that practice equals improvement. If your not seeing that improvement at all, your probably not practicing whole heartedly. Except for those rare people who seem to find a way just by looking, we all need some sort of training. All good artists have worked there asses off to get that way! Set a standard for yourself, and live up to it. You have to put your everything into what you do, and once you have, you start to get better. Good art comes from passion and dedication.

Everyone has something there going to pick up faster then someone else. Maybe movement, colour, or perspective; exploit that and practice what your not good at twice as hard. If your not going to art school, read everything you can about anatomy, read all the tutourials you can get your hands on, and practice daily. Some things won't work for you, but some things will. Every artist has their own way of doing things, try to find what works for you and NEVER STOP LEARNING! If you think you can't learn something from another artist, your probably wrong, so get back to the drawing board!

Old 03-10-2009, 11:30 AM   #42
fabio0069
portfolio
James
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom

Wow... this is an awesome thread. Quality food for us ravenous noobs

Old 04-17-2009, 03:01 AM   #43
domosan

portfolio
Dylan Wreggelsworth
USA

Send a message via AIM to domosan Send a message via MSN to domosan
Indeed. The suggestions + links to relevant articles has been huge.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:55 AM   #44
afkeb
portfolio
afke b.
Netherlands

Great thread, I agree with Lunatique. Really refreshing to read about his thoughts on this topic. It's true that its all about finding the way to a greater goal through smaller ones. It's easy to be discouraged by looking at great artists and than say hah I will never be able to do that. By doing this your skipping all the steps in between to get there.

Those artists didn't get there by just 'talent'. I personally don't really belief in talent the way people tent to see it. I prefer to see talent as a love you have for something in this case art enabling to practise and learn (in the way lunatique explained) indefinitely with the outcome to become good.
Art becomes so much 'fuller' and more satisfying when your starting to 'study' it this way so I like to think that loving it will grow along with your progress in art I guess.

What are your thoughts on talent?

Oh why I started this post was to give you guys this link. This is truly a wonderfull website where you can download the books by Andrew Loomis, Gottfried Bammes (although in german a wonderfull anatomy book) and George Bridgeman in .pdf for free go study you all

http://gekos.no/art/index.php/best-...books-ever.html

Old 05-19-2009, 05:16 PM   #45
fionabus
Taken by Trees

portfolio
Fiona Meng
Toronto, Canada

Talent huh? It's a fickle thing, I'm sure we all know those people who can pick up a pencil and create a Monalisa in 20 mins at age 10. And sure, we have some natural gifts, but our drawings look a little more like Sponge Bob then the freaking Monalisa. So we work hard to get it right. All of this hard work never stops, we learn to pour ourselves into what we do. Sometimes, I think these super talented people get away without putting there full effort into it, and their talent doesn't do them much good because they just get lazy. Then, it's harder for them to get though school and find a steady job. Talent can send you to the top, or make you a lazy person who sits around playing World of Warcraft all day.

Thread Closed share thread