2D Artist looking for good way to learn Color theory

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2008   #1
2D Artist looking for good way to learn Color theory

Hello to all that read this
Currently I am a 2D artist with sadly no color knowledge ( Mainly because Im a student..Yes excuses are fun ) Anyways Im looking for a way to learn color theory. But If perhaps that is not possible a disscussion of the matter like any general guidelines to follow or Ideas and thoughts from others.

Old 06 June 2008   #2
Try a color theory or 2D design class.

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 06 June 2008   #3
hehe...Sadly I am in community college and our Art department does not have a color theory class and the 2d design class was using black and white..ZColor was used at times but no real explanation was given as the class focused mainly on composition.

Old 06 June 2008   #4
There are many graphic design books out there - check your local bookstore.

Also, you can always do it the old fashioned way -- look at various art pieces both good and bad. On the good ones, describe to yourself what colors they're using, and why you think they may have chosen those colors. Pay attention to how the color affects the mood fo the paintings. On the bad ones, try to figure out what about their color use sucks and what might make it better. Then do the same thing in real life.

Old 06 June 2008   #5
i bought a book called "color" by betty edwards a couple years back that was really informative. i definately reccomend it

Old 06 June 2008   #6
Practical Light and Color from TheGnomonWorkshop is a great title, it helped me alot for my paintings, but it is no replacement for a class in color theory, but if u cant dedicate the time or resources into taking the class then this is the next best thing
http://thegnomonworkshop.com/dvds/jvi01.html

Old 06 June 2008   #7
Look for books written by Johannes Itten. I don't have any, but he is the guy who actually structured all int o a "color theory". This should give a good start. Other than that, just look at paintings and paint. When you paint don't focus on form, focus on color spots. Like a blurred image, without detail.

Old 06 June 2008   #8
You can (probably) find both the Betty Edwards and the Johannes Itten books at your local library. Since you're at school, browse through your library there as well. That's an inexpensive way to learn. Also, surf the web for tutorials and for websites that feature your favorite artists - there might be some helpful info, such as demos, there for free.

I'm in the same boat as you and what I find helpful in learning color is to carry around a viewfinder to isolate local color. You can find a viewfinder at your local art store, or even make one yourself. Just get some cardboard that is opaque and poke a small hole in the middle to see through. The viewfinder, for me, is helpful in identifying shadow colors and certain yellows. The finder will also aid you in recognizing color values as well. Below in the one I carry in my pocket and you can see the small hole I was referring to.
Good luck!

http://www.dickblick.com/zz049/95/

Old 08 August 2008   #10
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread