Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 01-24-2008, 04:20 AM   #1
yoops
yoops
USA

need help on reilly value chart

http://www.dhfa.net/Notebook149.jpg
http://www.dhfa.net/Book-4.jpg

hi guys these 2 images are from the the frank reilly school of art book written by doug higgins. i cant seem to make heads or tails with the numbers shown here.. anybody have any experience with this? thx

Old 01-25-2008, 02:57 AM   #2
Pinoy McGee
For you Baby...I could be

I suspect it's a value scale where a number corresponds to a particular paint mixture.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:48 AM   #3
yoops
yoops
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoy McGee
I suspect it's a value scale where a number corresponds to a particular paint mixture.

here is the full text with images.. this is completely out of doug higgins book and i am just posting in hopes that someone on the board can explain the value chart to me...
==========================
<li>PROBLEMS

While I was still in the drawing class, Mr. Reilly began including problems in his lectures. Problems were homework. He used simple figures to illustrate the material in the lectures. Problems both made clear the lecture material and gave us experience in the use of brushes and paint.

The problem here was to determine and paint the values in the light and shadow areas (including the background) using the chart below...

Frank Brangwyn said of Howard Pyle's work that... "The darkest dark in the light is always slightly lighter than the lightest light in the shadow". The above chart shows these values...Black(0) in the light is 4 plus and White(10) in the shadow is 4 minus. The above is the chart for normal indoor light.

The numbers on the problem diagram above are locals and will adjust according to the chart. 7 on the diagram was painted at 8 plus in the light and 2 1/2 in the shadow. The jacket (local of 2) was painted at 5 plus in the light and 1 minus in the shadow etc.

Normal form light is two parts shade and three parts light. Rim light is the reverse. Back light has no light and front light has no shade. Norman Rockwell used front light almost exclusively...

Problem - Using the above chart, determine the values and paint the spheres. The background is 5 and the locals of the spheres is 10, 5 and 0...

This chart illustrates form light with more and less light. With more light Black becomes two and with less light White becomes eight...

Problem - paint the simplified figure of the Nun in the three form light conditions. Again, the values in the diagram are locals so the the light and shade must be determined from the charts. for instance, for normal form light, 7 in the light is 8 1/2 and in the shadow 7 is 3...

===================

all images and text are from doug higgins site linked here -> http://www.dhfa.net/

Old 09-11-2008, 09:28 AM   #4
andalusite
Making marks with a stick
portfolio
Martin Harvey
Aberdeen, United Kingdom

I have recently joined cgtalk, so Im catching up with the posts. This reply may not be any help as it is 8 months since your original post!
I have no formal training in painting / colour theory.

The key chart seems to be the one with two rows of numbers, 10-0 in the top row and 10-0 10-0 in the bottom row. The numbers refer to the value of a colour, ie the tone. Black = 0, white = 10
The bottom row is in two parts: the numbers 10-0 on the left are the values in the light. The numbers 10-0 on the right are the values in the shade.
The top row is the value that is painted.
So using the example of a value of 7....... We can find this value in the bottom row in two places, one for the light and one for the shade. The corresponding values in the top row are 8.25 (for the light) and 2.5 (for the shade) which are the values we would paint with.
After this point my head started spinning..... with the spheres lit by front light and back light.

Personally I don't like these mechanical approaches. I would suggest looking at lots of paintings, photographs and CG renders to see how the light works. I have found I look at scenes both intuitively and analytically. In terms of the lighting I look at it as if it was CG....with spot light, fill light, rim light and ambient. Where are the form shadows and the cast shadows? What colour and value are they?

Norman Rockwell is quoted in post. His painting "Freedom of Speech" is an example of the 'front' lighting. There are few modelling shadows as if there is a lot of ambient and reflected light boucing around.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:28 AM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread