Old 01-05-2007, 07:10 PM   #1
bonim
Veteran

portfolio
Boni Meredith
Owner
Pacific Rose Arts
Centralia, United States Minor Outlying Islands

Lightbulb Digital vs. Analogue - Part 2 - Not all analogue is original. And Where do we go now?

Okay ... from here ...
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...16&page=1&pp=15

To ... some things that people don't realize. IF you go to a Thomas Kinkade gallery, or Lawrance galleries in the U.S. you will find a lot of giclees passing off as originals ... or nearly so. They are printed "touched" up with paint and sold ... many, many copies. Some of the touch-up is even done by the artists' assistants. The whole original art is a nice thought and there is a lot of that in the traditional field, but not all of it. Not enough that it's a solid argument "against" digital art.

That said, I believe, and I've just been thinking about this this morning reading these threads, that if we as digital artists market ourselves well enough ... or integrate traditional with digital ... we can move farther ahead. It's a direction I've been working towards for the last 10 years.

We are all trying to make it (OR have made it) in this forum. We are students, designers, tranditional melding into digital artists, we are "working" artists and we are trying to get started in the art field.

Is there something we all can do ... for each other that will advance us in our fields? We have the wonderful galleries here. The showcase is great!!! This is our marketting opportunities. This forum is a blessing for many many rising artists in the digital field. We have marvolous tutorials, advice in threads from the masters, Critiques that are priceless ... even a job section. What else can we do to market ourselves? We need a place to brainstorm for self promotion and marketting. Something that will help all the struggling artists out here.

There is my stream of consiousness essay for the day.

Peace
Boni

Old 01-26-2007, 05:09 PM   #2
tedpainter
DorySailor

portfolio
Ted Johnson
TedPainter Digital Paintings LLC
United States

Send a message via AIM to tedpainter
Angry to Bonim

Sorry to find that the earlier thread has been closed, but happy to catch it at this level.

There is an excellent research paper by Mamata Herland that goes into real depth about the subject of digital painting/digital prints/Giclee or digital art generally and how it is seen by the "establishment". It's a good article and can be found here: http://www.worldprintmakers.com/english/mamata.htm

Also, to comment about some of the difficulties in selling digital in the previous thread I'll make a couple of my reflections here from a "long" lifetime of producing so called "fine art" or "fine crafts" and trying to sell.

A gallery owner once told me that artists generally have the view that their art should fly off the shelf, or at least, sell regularly, when in fact, they'll be lucky if the gallery can sell a few pieces in an entire year. It's a tough business with most of them surviving by taking money from one pocket (made in some other manner) and putting it in the other pocket (the one that pays the gallery bills).
The artist is depending on the traffic flow through that particular gallery to sell. Of the total, it's likely that only a small number will like that particular artists style or work. Of those, only a small number will actually buy. Few people wandering through galleries actually buy anything. Other things generally grab our money first such as food, rent, etc. Art comes in near the end of a priority list. Another thing is that those who do buy have only so much room to display. At some point it's either <move to a bigger house, put stuff in boxes to store, or stop buying>. I've run into this problem a lot in the past in talking with customers of mine who may already have a dozen pieces. How much more can you expect them to own! It's likely they also own the work of other artists as well. Eventually the house fills up.

Beyond that, there is the fact that the vast bulk of humanity has absolutely no taste in art (or bad taste) at least as defined by artist. Hack artists such as Kincaid and his copiers are making tons selling to these folks who just love the <feel good> scenes they paint. These people are skilled painters whe are basically prostituting their art to sell. I don't blame them, or criticize, though, as if it weren't them it would be somebody else. There's always been prostitutes!

For those of us who refuse to prostitute ourselves, we'd better get used to the facts of life as an artist. Verrrrrryy few make it professionally as fine artists. Commercial does better, but it's very competitive and there may be long periods with no job. Working in a studio is probably more secure than free-lancing, but only as long as the studio is pulling in regular work. Being laid off isn't unusual.

I've sold in galleries for almost fifty years--off and on. I also did so-called fine craft which was a blend of woodworking, drawing, and painting. It was high end work and I sold at high end art fairs in good affluent neighborhoods. That's where I made most of my money but that had a whole realm of difficulties of it's own unrelated to gallery sales. Weather being a big one![img]images/icons/icon11.gif[/img] In galleries as I said earlier, you're stuck with whoever walks through the door. At art fairs there are perhaps several hundred thousand people who come to either buy art or be entertained. It's possible for a good artist/craftsman to make several thousand dollars a day. That however, is balanced by being rained out or bombing at another fair on another day. Selling art is a crapshoot!
[img]images/icons/icon10.gif[/img]

Old 01-26-2007, 08:08 PM   #3
bonim
Veteran

portfolio
Boni Meredith
Owner
Pacific Rose Arts
Centralia, United States Minor Outlying Islands

Thumbs up TedPainter

What a refreshing and realistic view of the art industry! I'm so glad you posted. I knew most of what you said by ... instinct I suppose. I had thought of supplimenting my art with "crafts" I have a collection of branches and sticks that I was thinking of turning into walking sticks and wands to sell to the Metaphysical crowd through gift shops, specialty shops and art fairs along with my art. My art falls under the same umbrella. You have some wonderful insights that I will seriously consider as I am preparing a proposal for a grant to start my art carreer. (A foundation is interested in me and I need to convince them to help me get started). It's a bit late in life for me (I'm 52) but it's a dream I can't let go of.

Have you or any of you out there been successful in the book and magazine illustration end of the business? IF so please share your stories so we can all learn.

Sincerely
Boni

Old 01-27-2007, 01:24 AM   #4
tedpainter
DorySailor

portfolio
Ted Johnson
TedPainter Digital Paintings LLC
United States

Send a message via AIM to tedpainter
to Bonim

Quote:
I had thought of supplimenting my art with "crafts" I have a collection of branches and sticks that I was thinking of turning into walking sticks

Your comment about possibly trying to do and sell art/craft and walking sticks brought back a memory I'll share.
A few years back I did a fair in downtown Chicago and met a fellow from Kentucky I think, or maybe Indiana. Down that way anyhow. He seemed a real rustic rather than the "arty" type, and I liked him immediately after we met. We met because I was simply blown away by his work.
He told me later that for years he'd been picking up oddly shaped sticks whenever he was out in the woods. Those and bones of various sorts and sizes. Eventually he wound up with a shed full of this stuff. He was an artist of some sort I think, but he played it down so I didn't get much out of him there. When he decided to start fooling with these things he'd picked up he made furniture. Nobody but an elf could have sat in any of it they were that spindly, but they did represent furniture and some were large enough that a child could have used them if they were as light as an elf.
He mixed the wood bits with the bone bits, with the bones acting as attachment points for the wood.
I couldn't possibly describe here in words the effect, but I was mezmerized. I mixed it up with a lot of very fine artist/craftsmen out there. These were some of the best shows in the country, but this unasuming fellow stands out in my memory as one of the finest artists I've ever been fortunate enough to meet. No way would he have agreed with me about that though, and I tried like hell to get him to submit to some of the other good shows out there, but he didn't place a lot of value on his work. Never saw him again.

Old 01-27-2007, 01:24 AM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread