(newbie) bst comptr 2 wrk w/

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2006   #1
Question (newbie) bst comptr 2 wrk w/

I'm just starting out here in the whole visual art category and I'm needing to know what brand and even model of computer is best to work with. I've heard the Apple computers are the best from one college I was thinking about attending, but for some reason I'm somewhat doubtful on that. If I can, I'd just really like to stay w/ a windows computer because I'd rather not learn how to work the Apple computers since their processes & everything else is so different. And when I say visual arts I'm practically meaning everything: animation, 2D images, 3D images, gaming, plain 1D graphics, etc. And even if you could, what are some programs that you would highly recommend for beginners for the categories that I listed? I already have PaintShop Pro, & I've been working w/ it, but was wondering if there's anything else.

Old 11 November 2006   #2
The Mac myth is just that--a myth. Every single game/animation studio I've ever worked at were dominated by PC's, because they are cheaper for the same power, and there are far more available software for PC's than for Mac's. The only exception might be the graphic design/print industry, where they tend to favor Macs, because "designers" are kind of fruity that way (I joke, I joke!)

Old 11 November 2006   #3
So the whole thing about the mac's being the best computer to work with is basically a lie. Great. Okay, my next question: Best programs intended for beginners for: animation, 2D images, 3D images, gaming graphics, plain 1D graphics, etc. Though right now I'm most interested in a program for animation. I've worked w/ ...oh crap. I can't remember what its called. ...Fireworks...I thinking is maybe the name. Anyway, I've worked a little bit w/ that program while I was in High School. It confused me a little at the time mostly bcuz the teachers didn't do a very good job explaining how things worked on it. But I'm usually able to figure stuff out by just playing around with it for awhile. But my question here is, is there any other animation program that's for beginners? If so, what? And what would you rate it? (out of 5 stars)

Old 11 November 2006   #4
I think this is where you need to start using your own resourcefulness, because what you're asking depends on personal opinion--you'll get different answers. Go some google leg work, and you'll find demos to download and try out.

Old 11 November 2006   #5
Okay...well w/ downloading demos, my new computer isn't going to be having access to the internet. That I would definitely do if I could. The only computers in which I have access to the internet are the computers @ my college & my parents computer (I'm living at home while going to college. Its cheaper.). My parents computer is classified as the "family computer" so its shared by everyone...except for me...until recently at least. I did have a laptop, but it fried not way too long ago, & it'll be awhile until I'm able to get it fixed. To download demo's on my parents computer, it would be hard to check out the demo because...well everyone uses it. The chances of me being able to be on the computer for a few/several hours...is very small. As well as my parents don't want programs (even if they're demos) added to their computer w/out their permission. Even if I asked permission, the chances are no...most of it has to do w/ hard drive space. So as you can see, I'm kinda in a bind. So that's my situation behind why I ask about the programs & ratings. ***Also another question I forgot to ask, what brand of computer would be the best to go with? (Ex: HP, Sony, Dell)? Or does it matter?

Old 11 November 2006   #6
Maybe try reading some reviews online of animation softwares--because no matter what anyone says here, it's all personal preference. With reviews, at least the writer will make a serious attempt at being fair.

Old 11 November 2006   #7
Okay. Thanks for the advice

Old 11 November 2006   #8
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread