"PAINTOVER PLEASE" - painted crits on demand - with Steven Stahlberg

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2006   #31
Exclamation 4 at a time!

HE WANTS ONLY FOUR AT A TIME!!!

this thread is going to get real big...real fast. But remember guys... only four at a time.
Great idea mate!!!

Old 05 May 2006   #32
Samsonite0077, yours is another that really doesn't have any big problems, top 3/4 is fine the bottom part where the feet meet the ground looks a bit weird with the perspective, it seems tilted somehow, especially behind the feet... see if you can find reference for someone standing barefoot in grass like that, on a little hill (if you can't find it, try to take a photo yourself). maybe all you have to do is separate the background grass from the middleground grass.

johnnyschihl, that's a very cool and twisted illustration there... I'm not sure what you were going for though. Dark gory realistic, like a horror-movie? Or more illustration-like, similar to german artists from the 30's I think (can't think of any names right now)?

More overpaints coming soon.

Last edited by Stahlberg : 05 May 2006 at 04:58 PM.

Old 05 May 2006   #33
Here, I was just wondering if you noticed any composition mistakes or any other obvious flaw I didn't see. I really wanted the river to stand out in this piece, in order to get an interesting visual path. That's my first matte painting.

Thanks a lot!

EDIT: Damn, sorry, didn't notice it was characters only!

Last edited by DanVL : 05 May 2006 at 04:48 PM.

Old 05 May 2006   #34
this is my work! i paint it when i saw a toy bear on my desk . i wanna a evil way !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bear.jpg (91.6 KB, 670 views)

Old 05 May 2006   #35
Fun idea Steven.

Old 05 May 2006   #36
You are so the man, Steven.

M

Old 05 May 2006   #37
Hey Malachi how's everything!

abeld3dg, haha that's amazingly sick and cool! No crits!

DanVL, excellent matte painting, not enough crits to warrant an overpaint I reckon. The river may be standing out a little too much because of the very obvious line of shadowed trees next to it, but that's a borderline case and matter of taste, and you said you wanted it to stand out.
It's hard for me to tell if it's moonlight or daylight, see if you can maybe clarify that a bit.

Here's another:

Old 05 May 2006   #38

thanks Stalhberg!
I'm having alot of trouble with colors and lighting...How can I add more depth/atmosphere and make the lighting more convincing? anything you can think of to make it more "dramatic" in your opinion? Also, do you think you would change the composition and character poses? [supposed to be a hunting pack following something wounded] I'd really appreciate any feedback, and thanks again for doing this.

Old 05 May 2006   #39
Did another since it's Friday
(note that I didn't get rid of her skin texture on purpose, it just got covered by paint)

And another, just a quickie:

Old 05 May 2006   #40
Feel free to ignore this one, Steven, this is just an experiment- jeromoo (jerome moo wen han) did a paintover of one of my characters, I was curious how you would treat the same painting. The one on the left is mine, the one on the right is his.

Old 05 May 2006   #41
Steven this is really generous of you. Keep up the good work.

::Flemish Classical Atelier::
Art residencies:: Intensive Drawing and Painting workshops
in Brugge, Belgium

Old 05 May 2006   #42
Wow this is so generous of you to take your time out and do this. Amazing. Thank you I won't post anything yet, because I think at this point I can learn a ton just by looking at your paint-overs.

-L.H.

Portfolio

Old 05 May 2006   #43
Wow, thanks, this really does make me think much more about contrasts and how lights should work. I also neglected the tree a lot. No wonder i never got a reply ^^

I like the addition of reds, i really never though of that, it does feel more like skin than before.

Really thank you, really appreciated.

I was wondering (i promise i wont clutter the thread with my images, this will be the last one ^^)

I made this image on 2004, though im happy with her i see something really wrong, but i dont know what it is.

Thanks for your time

Old 05 May 2006   #44
Just stopping by to say thank you for this, Mr Stahlberg! Muchos kudos!

Old 05 May 2006   #45
Hi Steven, hi everybody.

Hello...i think this is a great opportunity...so..here goes..

This is a compo from last challenge.
What i discovered when i finished is that although there was a lot of hard work on it
and most of elements are good...somehow in the final compo ....i &%^$&#%& ..hated it...
(pardon my French ....so...i wanna get in this again when i have some free time,
so i wouldn't mind some ..or more paintover...as much hard critic u can give ..it's ok...
i am interested...
And sorry about size ...i am not position right now to upload anything
from where i am right now. Please delete my post if it's a big problem and i can upload it again smaller soon...
So here it is....

Last edited by DimitrisLiatsos : 05 May 2006 at 09:11 PM.

Thread Closed share thread