Advise on improving artwork.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2006   #1
Advise on improving artwork.

Hello,

I need help in improving my artwork outside of classes besides spending hours drawing in my sketchbook.

One of my teachers suggested a webcomic would be a good thing to do though with that problems i run into

-How to clean up
-How to Colour
-How to use photoshop

I never used photshop before, And i did buy a web-tablet,But it seems to never work when i want it to. (The batteries run out on the pen in a few hours)

The questions that present themselves to me are?
Is a Webcomic a good way to improve my artwork and tell a story?
How to take Messy rough drawings with Col erase pencils and make them clean and professional?
How to use photoshop?
Webspace...learning a bit of HTML or something?
I send some samples of my rough later..

Thank you for reading this, I know my grammer is bad. Any Options suggests or ways to go about doing any the following things would be a great help.

Old 04 April 2006   #2
Hi Kyrene,

A good thing to attend is the Daily Sketch Group (check out the forum) , for daily sketches and specificly ask for feedback. You are bound to learn something from studying there.

There are also the anatomy workshops (forum), under the guidance of RebeccaK, and see provides real good feedback on your work. Its the closest thing to having a mentor looking behind your shoulder.

Check them out, its fun and usefull at the same time. Good luck!

Old 04 April 2006   #3
paintbox,

Thanks!

Kyrene,

I have a feeling that this thread will shortly be moved to the Art Theories and Techniques Forum, which has a lot of webcomic tutorials that will be of great use to you.

One of the best webcomic tutorials is by one of CGTalk's members ~ you can post to this thread questions, or even pm the artist to see if he has advice / tips for you:

TUTORIAL - SEQUENTIAL ART by eliseu gouveia

Lots of good practice exercises here:

The Daily Sketch Forum

The WIP 2D Forum is the best place for general 2D work, and there are lots of people there to answer your questions:

WIP/Critique: 2D, Illustrations and Concept Art

Feel free to check out the Anatomy Forum:

Artistic Anatomy and Figurative Art Forum

In the Anatomy Forum, you and any 2D / 3D artists are welcome to create your own Anatomy Thread here:

Personal Anatomy & Sketchbook Threads

This thread can answer questions about that:

FAQ: Can I Create My Own Anatomy Thread?

And of course there's lots of good info. here:

Art Techniques and Theories Forum

Be sure to read the really useful sticky there with lots of great links to tutorials and resources:

Art Tutorials, Theories, and Book Recommendations

I don't think you should run out of resources on CGTalk.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 04 April 2006 at 07:21 PM.

Old 04 April 2006   #4
Well at the moment i go to a animation collage in Halifax but next yar we have to do a short film, so i show for skeetch to show some progression of my main character in that film i need to start in the summer.

From Lastest To earliest work

http://ic1.deviantart.com/fs10/i/20..._Smpdelaney.jpg

http://tn3-1.deviantart.com/fs9/300..._Smpdelaney.jpg

http://tn3-2.deviantart.com/300W/fs..._Smpdelaney.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...adox/Emilia.jpg

i got one other key progression but can't find it at the moment.

But you this is about a 9 month in between them

Though more of the problem i see is the exact how to turn my Top link into something like a professional looking comic or at least a webcomic like pennyarcade.

Last edited by Kyrene : 04 April 2006 at 10:03 PM.

Old 04 April 2006   #5
Kyrene,

I think you should start with the exercises here:

Beginners' Lounge
Basic Figurative Gesture exercises

and participate in this ongoing Workshop:

BEGINNERS' Drawing Workshop - Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 04 April 2006   #6
Ya i have life drawing for 3 hours everyweek on that one and do such drawings at the park when i can already is there more...

It's more about cleaning up i wish to know about.

Old 04 April 2006   #7
Sorry The Lastest Picture didn't Show so here it is

Last edited by Kyrene : 04 April 2006 at 10:20 PM.

Old 04 April 2006   #8
See the first link I posted.

EDIT: I would generally as a rule steer people away from drawing manga / cartoon characters when they are first learning to draw ~ the Beginner's Lounge focuses on doing Gestural drawings from master copies, and I think people improve much faster from doing that than from emulating manga style work.

I frankly think that you should focus more on realistic anatomy studies than on cartoon style characters. Your work will ultimately carry a lot more depth that way. There's really nothing to 'study' in the way of anatomy from manga characters ~ you really need to study real world things first, and caricature them later, imo.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 04 April 2006 at 10:47 PM.

Old 04 April 2006   #9
Err..umm What is Manga first of all?

I was actully working on more Walt Disney for the cartoon style bescause of the faces comeing more to life, and usually only draw from reality besides this character usually
and yes i do such excerise once a week every week already...

Old 04 April 2006   #10
Well, technically Manga is just the Japanese word for comic book. However, here in the West (America at least) Manga is more commonly referred to being only Japanese comic books, or art designed with a Japanese comic book style. The same can be said for anime.

"Not all who wander are lost."
~ J.J.R. Tolkien ~

Last edited by bleumoon : 04 April 2006 at 11:05 PM.

Old 04 April 2006   #11
If you're into tracing over or inking, pick up some drafter's vellum for the just-before scan phase. (You can find vellum for fairly cheap at office supply stores that happen to sell art/drafting supplies.)

Some colors are easier to seperate out than others. http://www.deviantart.com/view/27687329/ This was a cmyk image where I moved the yellow channel. Unfortunately, the clearest advise I can give you about this is to experiment to see which colors are easiest to seperate out.

My favorite coloring method is to put the lineart on top in multiply or darken mode. (More trial-and-error) Put the colors on another layer.

Doing webcomics will force you to practice. www.sluggy.com is an example that immediately comes to mind for improving artwork. www.megatokyo.com also had a bit of improvement.

Old 04 April 2006   #12
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread