15,000-layer Photoshop file(s)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2006
15,000-layer Photoshop file(s)

Someone sent me this link to a blog post, and I wasn't sure if this had been posted or not. In any case, here it is.
"April 03, 2006

15,000-layer Photoshop file

'Tis the season of gigantic PSDs: Digital painter Bert Monroy sees Kevin Hulsey's work and raises him a couple of gigs. Bert, a former matte painter at ILM and elsewhere, has been pushing Photoshop since v1.0, and at Photoshop World he unveiled his latest creation: a monster painting that's 1.7GB (when flat!), comprised of some 15,000 layers, 500 alpha channels, and 250,000 paths. Man... what a testament to Bert's artistry & commitment to his craft. [Via]

Photoshop handles tasks from creating sub-1KB Web graphics to wrangling files of basically unlimited size, and that makes it tricky for us to ship the app with settings that address all scenarios optimally. The Support team publishes some tips on optimizing performance (Mac/Win), and we're looking at ways to make it easier to tune the app.

[Update: Tobias Hollerich points out that the site has been "dugg," making it slow to load. The Digg.com entry lists some mirror sites & links to videos of Bert in action.]

Posted by John Nack at 08:25 PM on April 03, 2006 "

Link to Blog: http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2006/04/15000-layer-psd.html

Bert Monroy: http://www.bertmonroy.com/fineart/t...neart_damen.htm

04 April 2006
Cute, but why?

Seems like a godawful waste of 2,000 hours.

-JIII

04 April 2006
Originally Posted by JIII: Cute, but why?

Seems like a godawful waste of 2,000 hours.

-JIII

Maybe he didn't realize that there is an Undo in Photoshop? He must have created a layer/mask for every stroke. Or, maybe he has difficult time making commitments when creating these images. Even if one creates that many layers during the course of a painting, it seems a bit much to actually keep all those layers or files.

For me, creating that many layers would take all the fun out of painting in Photoshop.

04 April 2006
Maybe it was a good exercise just to see how many layers one can do. Or to go in the Guinness Book or something.

It IS a really nice painting. But.... <holy crap!> that's the l-station in my old neighborhood near where I grew up. How crazy is that?

Out of all the subjects he could have chosen...

04 April 2006
lol, it feels more like a publicity stunt paid for by adobe, but hell, if someone can get paid to make a 15,000 layer file, go right ahead more power to ya.

-J3

04 April 2006
every time i visit this site, i see something more insane than the last time i came... and this is the pinicle. HAHA!

04 April 2006
Quote: The painting is comprised of close to fifty individual Photoshop files.

So that means about 300 layers per file...not so horrible sounding as 15k.
I'm guessing he's got a bit of ram then.

~M

04 April 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread