hard edge

portfolio
Reed Casey
Artist
Freelance
San Diego, USA

Send a message via AIM to clodhopper
Quote:
finding a job to sustain me there while going to school.

don't even try to take a job while you are studyting 3d if you go to VFS, FS or any other school thats not a 4 year program. You do not have the time.

Old 03-28-2006, 09:47 PM   #32
Ohmanoggin
Lord of the posts
Ohmanoggin Hurts
USA

Full Sail Bachelor degree is not accredited

In reply to these two quotes:

“…To correct a reply on the first page..Fullsail is fully accredited, if they werent they couldnt advertise an assocciate or Bachelors degree.........its pretty simple to understand that.”

“…If you go to Full Sail now for Computer Animation or Digital Media, you WILL graduate with a Bachelors.”

The Bachelors degree from Full Sail does not have accreditation that is recognized by any college or university in the US which means they have no value to employers, beyond an associate’s degree.

For those that disagree, call a university of your choice. Pick one-ANYONE. Ask for admissions. Ask them if a bachelors degree from Full Sail in Orlando Florida will fulfill their requirements for ANY graduate program. They will say NO, it is not accredited by any organization they accept. If you still don't believe go to Full Sail admissions, tell them you want to go get a graduate degree in a related field such as computer animation. Tell us what they said.

Next ask them if any of your credits will transfer toward hours in a Bachelor program. Sadly you will find that not only will degree not work, your courses will not count, not even if your degree is in game development and you are looking for a degree in Computer Science. The best you can hope for is “Life experience” credit which will probably get you out of a couple of courses.

The Full Sail bachelor degree does have some value, but no more than an associates degree. The credits themselves only have value at Full Sail, which is probably true for most art schools.

I am not making a point about the quality of education at Full Sail, I am just trying to stop anyone from using the “degree program” as a means to a formal education or a selling point to others.

Ohmanoggin

Old 03-29-2006, 01:03 AM   #33
PGillette
Veteran
Pat Gillette
Animator
Santa Cruz Games
Campbell, USA

Thank you for the clarification. I know that many schools will often say "Bachelor's Degree" and imply that the school is accredited when it is actually not. I ran into a lot of this before I found a school in this field that IS actually accredited, Cogswell Polytechnical College. www.cogswell.edu (a little name dropping action). I know there are many more who have WASC, or some other form of accredidation accepted by other schools.

But if you have absolutely NO interest in pursuing a graduate degree none of this matters. It's just nice not to limit yourself.

Old 03-29-2006, 01:50 AM   #34
LowManMax
Ashford
USA

I just got out of the military a year ago and faced some of the same things you are going through. Though my struggle for a quest for a 3d school I ended up at the Art Institute. All things aside I believe that most of these schools do not have great teaches but great students. I have read post from people from both VFS and Full Sail that say that the teaches suck and the only way they learn is through each other. I believe that this will some what be true for all schools so I would suggest looking at the work that comes out of each school and ask your self is that what you want to do. Once again just being my opinion maybe you should choose a school that will allow you to network. I think the reason places like Gnomon and Animation Mentor are so good is because you learn from some of the best and you get that side door into the industry that some of us will not have.

So to break it down I would try and find a school that will get you a job and allow you to network with some of the best.

Old 03-29-2006, 01:54 AM   #35
clodhopper
hard edge

portfolio
Reed Casey
Artist
Freelance
San Diego, USA

any employers out there who actually care where artists go to school and if their bacholor's degree is accredited? we are artists Our work speaks more loudly than degrees, if you don't like the student work coming out of the school, don't go there. becuase its not about the degree.

go to the job postings, the mass majority of them will say "3 year experience required" and I Don't recall ever seeing " bacholor's degree or equivilent required".

Gnoman isn't accredited either. they are still on a certificate program, if I'm not mistaken.

Old 03-29-2006, 02:58 AM   #36
PGillette
Veteran
Pat Gillette
Animator
Santa Cruz Games
Campbell, USA

I'd disagree about job postings not saying anything about degrees. I have to research postings for my school, and I find many of them preferring a B.A. or B.S. in addition to experience. I'm not saying it outweighs experience or even comes close to being as important as your work, but many places like to see that you've been somewhere and have learned something.

But, to put it more in perspective, it is a personal choice about going to a school with accredidation. Many of us would like to eventually attend a graduate school program. I'd hate to decide to do that later in life and realize I can't because I don't really have a B.A. under my belt. It has nothing to do with jobs and everything to do with your own personal life goals.

If that is something you want to do, then look for a school with both great work and an official backing. They exist.

Old 03-29-2006, 06:46 AM   #37
SanjayChand
Gnomon Grad

portfolio
Sanjay Chand
Studio city, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by clodhopper
any employers out there who actually care where artists go to school and if their bacholor's degree is accredited? we are artists Our work speaks more loudly than degrees, if you don't like the student work coming out of the school, don't go there. becuase its not about the degree.

go to the job postings, the mass majority of them will say "3 year experience required" and I Don't recall ever seeing " bacholor's degree or equivilent required".

Gnoman isn't accredited either. they are still on a certificate program, if I'm not mistaken.

gnomon is accredited and they offer a certificate.

Old 03-29-2006, 07:31 AM   #38
clodhopper
hard edge

portfolio
Reed Casey
Artist
Freelance
San Diego, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGillette
I find many of them preferring a B.A. or B.S. in addition to experience

I still say "mass majority" does not take degrees into account. The work on the demoreel will overwhelmingly determine an aplicants eligibility every time. But if you want to change careers down the road, like you said "its a personal choice. But i didn't have the luxery of time, money, or patience for a degree- I just wanted to do CG and nothing else.

AryaFX: I stand corrected; but how many major art colleges outside CA except transfered credits from a certificate program? I bet some do, and alot don't.- I'm just betting.

Last edited by clodhopper : 03-29-2006 at 10:23 PM.

Old 03-29-2006, 02:22 PM   #39
Ohmanoggin
Lord of the posts
Ohmanoggin Hurts
USA

The school should be the reason not the degree.

I wasn’t intending to start a debate over the value of a bachelor degree.

My only concern is that I don’t want someone at Full Sail or any school trying to convince anyone to shell out what appears to be 60 K now by saying “Any you’ll get your bachelors degree”. That just isn’t right, and I think it is very misleading. There is absolutely no difference at all between a Full Sail associates degree and their bachelor degree.

If you are going to spend that kind of money, it should be for the education you get at the school not because it appears to be a quick way to get a bachelors degree…because it isn’t.

Ohmanoggin

Old 03-29-2006, 02:22 PM   #40
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread