A Sudden Art Quiz

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2006   #1
A Sudden Art Quiz

This one's probably not very familiar, but if you know the work in question, you're ruled out.

For anyone seeing this the first time: guess the year, location and - if possible - the artist. The one who gets closest gets... The undying adulation of all? Well, at least the warm, fuzzy feeling you get from being right.

When this one is sorted I can try to find another one, but if anyone has links to some not-so-very famous paintings, then feel free to continue the quiz.

P.S. No cheating.

Old 01 January 2006   #2
I'll give it a try

Year: around 1730

Can we guess more than once?

Old 01 January 2006   #3
All I will say is this: y'er welcome to guess again.

Old 01 January 2006   #4
I'll guess.

- New Zealand
- Robert Mickerblachnericksta

Old 01 January 2006   #5

Should I add another by the same artist, to ease things up a bit?

Old 01 January 2006   #6
Why make it easier? Then the warm fuzzy feeling wont be that great

Year: near 1813-1814

Old 01 January 2006   #7
That's the spirit! And guess again

Old 01 January 2006   #8
My guess is that it was painted by Rembrandt around 1645. Location: The Netherlands.

My website:
www.cleverevans.com

Old 01 January 2006   #9
Nope, getting cold.

Old 01 January 2006   #10
It's in finland.

My website:
www.cleverevans.com

Old 01 January 2006   #11
Weelll... Surprisingly enough, that's correct. But can you guess the year? (And you didn't just go check the link, did you?)

Old 01 January 2006   #12
Ok, I totally cheated on the Finland guess. I gained information about where the image is located on the web from the image's properties, and it brought me here. I hope you don't consider the use of image properties "cheating". I hope you consider it "creative problem-solving" or "research".

Honestly, I don't know who this artist is. My first guess is that he/she is a Dutch painter from around the 17th century, or was influenced by the Dutch Masters.

If I were to get creative in my guessing, I'd say it might also be Munch or one of his contemporaries from the 19th century. But I really don't think so, considering the style of clothing the subject is wearing.

If I'm way off, I guess I need a hint. Is this a well-known painter? Is this someone I would have encountered in my art history lessons in school?

My website:
www.cleverevans.com

Old 01 January 2006   #13
hmmm... I'll say 1820!

Old 01 January 2006   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kargokultti
This one's probably not very familiar, but if you know the work in question, you're ruled out.

For anyone seeing this the first time: guess the year, location and - if possible - the artist. The one who gets closest gets... The undying adulation of all? Well, at least the warm, fuzzy feeling you get from being right.

When this one is sorted I can try to find another one, but if anyone has links to some not-so-very famous paintings, then feel free to continue the quiz.

P.S. No cheating.

I don't think it's very old. It doesn't really have much depth and the paint surface hasn't discolored with age. I'm going to say after 1930s... not sure of the exact era though. I think it's a 'copy' of the old german style.

Old 01 January 2006   #15
heh heh i used this for an essay last year, let me just say you are cold as Iceeee..

Last edited by tcbcoolscene : 01 January 2006 at 12:06 PM.

Thread Closed share thread