Art? or the work of a crazy person?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2005
Wow man, that's deep. What a great artist

12 December 2005
How easy it is to build an impression!! I wonder if someone told you that this work is on the walls of Louvre, would you be as ridiculing?

I am not critical of the responders, but the original poster, who obviously wanted to put into ridicule this work.

OK, the text is part of the work, and it is not an interview by a magazine or a journalist. The artist himself posted it beside that work, and yes, it is part of the collection in the Tate Modern; as mentioned by the original poster

The artist calls it art, and clearly, some other people in the field thought so too. I don't see where the problem is? I guess I know, but I will keep it to myself for now.

Mods, This might be an interesting topic for the art forum.

Additionally, this MIGHT be a violation of Tate Modern's copyrights, not sure.

Last edited by ashakarc : 12 December 2005 at 07:40 AM.

12 December 2005
hey guys I just realized I didnt put the artist name or anything im very sorry.

the Artist is
Michael Craig-Martin

and this work was done in 1973 and its called "an Oak Tree"

I intend to live forever. So far so good

12 December 2005
The complete stupidity of some wannabe artist imho.

It's like if I put a piece of blank paper on my wall and said it was the mona lisa.

But like someone else said, its about the attention and money most likely.

12 December 2005
Originally Posted by ashakarc: How easy it is to build an impression!! I wonder if someone told you that this work is on the walls of Louvre, would you be as ridiculing?

I am not critical of the responders, but the original poster, who obviously wanted to put into ridicule this work.

OK, the text is part of the work, and it is not an interview by a magazine or a journalist. The artist himself posted it beside that work, and yes, it is part of the collection in the Tate Modern; as mentioned by the original poster

The artist calls it art, and clearly, some other people in the field thought so too. I don't see where the problem is? I guess I know, but I will keep it to myself for now.

Mods, This might be an interesting topic for the art forum.

Additionally, this MIGHT be a violation of Tate Modern's copyrights, not sure.

Thank you. This actually makes sense now. And personally I think it's quite poetic.

12 December 2005
But remember when Art was for the public, not just an exclusive bourgeoisie art club, full of so-called artists and so-called art critics.

The art world is now so alienated from the public and the artists seem completely obsessed with creating sensationalist works in their pursuit of originality (and fame). I wouldn't like to get into a big debate about what exactly art should be, but it was never a hanging horse, or an unmade bed, or a room with lights that go on and off.

12 December 2005
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ashakarc: How easy it is to build an impression!! I wonder if someone told you that this work is on the walls of Louvre, would you be as ridiculing?

Yes.

Stick it on whatever wall you want, it's still pretentious crap.

12 December 2005
We're talking about him, we posted a picture of his art and we're discussing it. His name and title of work has been posted.

He's becoming famous.

His objective is being accomplished.

12 December 2005

hahaahhah! thats better than christmas

12 December 2005
These sort of works are typical of our post-modern times. Conceptual art is still the big thing. How many times has this been played out, - controversial artwork elicits hostile reaction. This theme recurs in this forum regularly.
I dont much care for it either, the ideas conveyed by these works aren't particuilary original and are much better expressed in written form. I put it down to a trend, art goes through phases and i imagine conceptualism will fade away soon enough.

There is a sort of counter movement called stuckism ( www.stuckism.com ) for those who are strongly opposed to to this sort of art. im not entirely convinced with their manifesto though i am tired of conceptual art. http://www.stuckism.com/stuckistmanifesto.html#manifest.

12 December 2005
I find all of this very amusing.

BTW, cute avatar 6foot5

tumblr ░░░░ facebook

12 December 2005
Originally Posted by 6foot5: These sort of works are typical of our post-modern times. Conceptual art is still the big thing. How many times has this been played out, - controversial artwork elicits hostile reaction. This theme recurs in this forum regularly.
I dont much care for it either, the ideas conveyed by these works aren't particuilary original and are much better expressed in written form. I put it down to a trend, art goes through phases and i imagine conceptualism will fade away soon enough.

There is a sort of counter movement called stuckism ( www.stuckism.com ) for those who are strongly opposed to to this sort of art. im not entirely convinced with their manifesto though i am tired of conceptual art. http://www.stuckism.com/stuckistman....html#manifest.

eh? conceptual is actually CONCEPTUAL ART as in they are used as reference for something bigger,like movies,modelling even architecture,it won't fade away that easily.

I've never been too fond of abstract art,but then again ,its only a human instinct to not like something you don't understand.

12 December 2005
Originally Posted by ashakarc: I am not critical of the responders, but the original poster, who obviously wanted to put into ridicule this work.

That was never my intention I just wanted to know other peoples opinion of this. I happen to beleive its art.

I intend to live forever. So far so good

12 December 2005
wow, I really want to show this thread to my Art History Prof. I think she would be quite shocked to hear these opinions, not that should would discount them she justl oves people critiquing harshly. The main point of this work of art is obviously to draw attention to the object and to make one think, the fact that the artist posted the interview on the wall with the cup shows that they are not completly pretentious. In fact, if I somehow knew I could get away with being paid to put such crap on a wall, I would do it. This guy might not have the most subtle technique in the world but he did do something, make money and become famous which is more than most of us can say. It doesn't so much matter if its shit, as long as it gets attention, and we are giving it just that, attention. The walls of the Louvre mean nothing, they are just walls. If the Mona Lisa was in another museum it would still be the Mona Lisa.

12 December 2005
Originally Posted by 6foot5:
There is a sort of counter movement called stuckism ( www.stuckism.com ) for those who are strongly opposed to to this sort of art. im not entirely convinced with their manifesto though i am tired of conceptual art. http://www.stuckism.com/stuckistman....html#manifest.

They don't get the point. It is not about conceptual or anti-conceptual. Everything is conceptual and and everything is figurative. Its about creating a work that does not pander to anyside but is truly interesting and beautiful to look at. This stuckism just feels to me as a outlet for washed-out artist in their middle ages who are bitter at not getting a piece of the pie.

Thread Closed share thread