working with 14x18 300 DPI, how???

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2005   #1
working with 14x18 300 DPI, how???

I started this portrait last christmas of my 3 year old niece and myself as she lives in south africa and I miss her lots. http://zomb.alphite.ca/1portfolio/color72.jpg ... Obviously just a few hrs work, but a total of 72 PSDs saved for my own reference as I did it just but random brushes and creating my own tecneque.. I stopped working it after realizing it was at 72 DPI and at that full size. I would rather have a 14x18 or so at 300 DPI..

Starting a new one of my mom and fiance for a late xmas/wedding gift at 14x18, 300 DPI "newly weds" type theme. Problem is, How do you work with a 300 DPI image? 100%, I can see maybe 3/4ths of a face. I'm on a 1920x1200 resolution on a 17" widescreen monitor. I had the reference photos printed on 11x17 paper, but even so, I can't do porportions correctly with such high DPI. When I zoom out, it obviously distorts a bit so the lines aren't crisp for viewing.

What do you guys do? Suggestions would be nice. Thanks,

Greg

Old 12 December 2005   #2
There is no solution for that, as that's one of the downsides of working digitally. At 25% and 50% the aliasing isn't as bad as some other odd number though--that's what I do. For serious portraits, I personally feel that traditional painting is much more suitable--as the value of the painting as a gift is deemed a lot higher by most people--even digital artists.

Old 12 December 2005   #3
it's not a huge problem. you probably shouldn't be worrying about the kind of details where you need to be at 100% until after you have your proportions down. if i were you, i'd work at a size that fills the screen comfortably, until the proportions and basic colors are down, then size up and refine/detail it. this will also make the machine more responsive in the early stages of the painting. as for the distortions/aliasing when you size down, as robert said, it's not bad at 25 or 50 percent.

Old 12 December 2005   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread